• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Asking a possibly biased group of folks which bike I should keep...

vincenstuff

BLUF/TL;DR - I sort of ended up with a Connie and a PC800... I'm really too short to happily keep the Connie upright but should I really let it go and keep the Tupperware torpedo instead?

So, there's a lot going on in this photo, but let's focus on the blue bikes for a sec. I stumbled on the 2001 Connie for a song, and after some care and attention she's running great. Only issue is, when the wheels stop rolling, this is one sleepy bike... Always wanting to lay down. Matter of time. The miss' is afraid of stop signs. Etc...

Fast forward a few months and I stumble on a 1990 Pacific Coast... the other savagely championed bike in the world.

Now there's no getting past the 40HP or 11 year difference, or the Ninja vs. Jetson-mobile exhaust note, but it drags a peg just as well for me and the 600lbs is just way down low.

I don't have much in either bike right now, so the value isn't a factor, though the Tupperware needs a scrape and paint. Easy enough to do and the SR400 hiding in the background would keep me rolling while that happens.

It almost comes down to karma. Will I help the universe more by allowing another (taller) fan to wring out this bike, or am I meant to continue enjoying a 10.5K readline? I love the Connie, and would likely miss it, but I see myself taking this super-scooter out more comfortably, which translates to more often.

Not sure there's a point in there buy I'm open to any thoughts.

Cheers,
Vince L.

Attachments

• KIMG1135.JPG
    KIMG1135.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 214
Get rid of the bike you are uncomfortable riding. You could lower the C10 and see if that is better for you.

All else being equal, if you cannot flat foot a top heavy bear of a bike...it goes. And I am sure you will also help the universe.

I agree with DC - Keep the bike your more comfortable with.  A friend has had 2 PC’s and in my opinion it is an excellent touring bike. 

I dropped the rear pressure to like 7PSI, and slid the front forks up about 7/8ths just as a trial... side stand was dicey but it was still so top heavy.

Amazing bike when it's rolling though. Curse my brilliant but 5'6" genes...

No one here will tell you to keep a bike you are uncomfortable with so that you continue owning a Kawasaki. You've done your bit by rescuing the beast. Bet you would feel good letting it go to the right person.  :)

Yes, there is something to be said by which one you feel more comfortable on. Especially if the Misses doesn't like the experience on the Connie, the less times you are going to get out on it and probably going it solo also. I'm 5'9" and couldn't imagine being just a bit shorter and not being able to plant both feet on this top heavy beast. I imagine you are one leg down at stop signs and on a lean angle. The seat can be shaved on the sides to make it a shorter reach to the ground and rear lowering links to drop the bike by an inch or so but then you loose cornering clearances. Can you put both feet on the ground on the PC800? Nobody but you can make this decision except for some input from the misses. If you really enjoy the Connie and can keep both make the PC the two up bike and get some thicker soled boots and keep the Connie for your solo journeys.

Bob_C_CT said:
If you really enjoy the Connie and can keep both make the PC the two up bike and get some thicker soled boots and keep the Connie for your solo journeys.

Ooh, now there's an idea. I can't flat foot it, but I can keep the balls of both feet planted well enough to manage. Not likely to be picking it up on my own any day though... hmm, options...

You can install Norm Soucy's Lowering Rocker.
It's available in multiple sizes so you can lower the bike to suit yourself.
Isn't cheap {$200}, but it is a simple bolt in.

Info from an old post;  Norm Soucy.
He thinks he still has about 8 of his 1 1/2" Lowering Rockers in stock.
He said he can make more if there is enough interest, and can make different heights.
  (He now puts new bearings in all Lowering Rockers and sells them for $200)
If this is of interest to anyone give him a call.
Here is his up to date info:  sanleonster@gmail.com
                                          phone# (281) 339-1156
Ride safe, Ted

PS: Here's a discussion, with an image if the Rocker;

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/re-what-did-you-do-to-your-c-10-today/msg681664/#msg681664

It really is all a matter of what you are comfortable doing. Size and weight can play a factor but there's a lot more to it than sheer size. Shorter/lighter folks ride these bikes. Tall/heavy folks at times feel cramped. At the end of the day it's just a bike and not a reflection on you. Ride the bike you like and are comfortable on.

Lowering is a good option but it comes with all sorts of other problems like clearance, needing to cut or replace the side stand and the center stand needs to be modified. Too many headaches.

I say get rid of the bike and buy one that you can ride safely. We want you to ride safely.

I love the Honda Pacific Coast. That was a great bike with tons of storage, comfortable, easy to ride and pure fun on two wheels. If I could find a clean one I'd keep it for life. Inexpensive fun that we can keep and ride even as we age.
  I guess it depends on your wants and needs, you know my thoughts :eek: No matter your choice, two great bikes you have there :great:

^+1

I have the next iteration of the The Pacific Coast although some would say the ST1100 was the next evolutionary step for sport touring motorcycles from Honda. My 2 cylinder NT700v (The Deauxville in Europe) went down 100 cc's, has only 65HP but integrated saddlebags, drive shaft and big analog gauges. Bought it cheap from a guy who no longer found it exciting and have changed the tires on it twice in 3 years. No trip longer than 200 miles in a single day but she's quite capable of doing more. Was getting 65 miles to the gallon riding 2 up until I put a top case on it, now only 60 MPG Not as refined as the C-14 but a keeper

Attachments

• NT700V.jpg
    NT700V.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 144
Safety first, you need to comfortable and confident in all road situations. Trying to keep a bike that is not right for you will only cost money you will never get back when you finally decide to sell it.
Good luck in your decision, besides you meet the nicest people on a Honda!
Ride safe!

Tundra said:
I love the Honda Pacific Coast. That was a great bike with tons of storage, comfortable, easy to ride and pure fun on two wheels. If I could find a clean one I'd keep it for life. Inexpensive fun that we can keep and ride even as we age.
  I guess it depends on your wants and needs, you know my thoughts :eek: No matter your choice, two great bikes you have there :great:

I totally agree with this. I always have liked the PC,,,,but then I like weird things old school VW busses, corvairs and similar.

Thanks all for the input, especially the safety reminders. Fun is fun, but this bike and I will be happier when it belongs to the right rider. Still need to go over a few more things before I'm comfortable putting it up for sale in my name, but it just makes sense to.

freebird6 said:
I totally agree with this. I always have liked the PC,,,,but then I like weird things old school VW busses, corvairs and similar.

Good point... I fetch my bikes behind a prius with a tow hitch, the other ride is a Mini Roadster, and the only reason I don't have an MG Midget in the yard right now is because when I got my Korea assignment, I knew the miss' would donate it the moment I left for the airport.

I'll end up riding the PC800 for a bit, then who knows. It was recently pointed out to me that motorcycles can be had outside of ran-when-parked craigslist ads... though it's hard to complain about a "blown head gasket" Connie that googles nicely to a COG water pump thread...

Thank again for everyone's thoughts, hell of crew here.

Cheers,
Vince L.

Tundra said:

I got you.....this one came up on a trip over to my Mom's 3rd owner 20K miles, well taken care of by a fellow who has developed a tremor and his wife won't let him tide. He is looking to get it to someone who appreciates it. Pretty sure he will take less https://advrider.com/f/attachments/img_20200607_143241725_hdr-jpg.2441475/

Good day all,
It gets better... the miss' just noted that when cleaning up the PC800, I'm not working on the "cool" bike...  :D

Maybe I should dump us over at a stop sign and get everyone on the same page...

If I were 5'9" I would never have even considered a C10 in the first place. Kudos to you for riding one.
I do know the problems you have though as a 5'6" friend is struggling to find a decent touring bike she can flatfoot, and so far all we've found are 600cc and smaller, or unexciting like the DeauVille 650/700. Looks like our best bet is gonna be a CBF600 with an aftermarket fairing and sidebags.
Another 5'0" friend has a CBR400RR (GullArm) that she loves but it's so damned small I can't ride it.
She can't flatfoot that either but at least it's light.
Seeing a pillion behind her on that would be hilarious.  :rotflmao:

All I can suggest is to keep the bike that makes you grin.  :) :motonoises:
If it doesn't make you grin, what's the point.
If you just want to pose, then a nice low cruiser is what you need.
Me, I need a bigger garage so I can have more bikes!  :rotflmao:

Welp, 5'6" here and while I'm more than strong enough to hold the C10 upright, there's absolutely no room for error... or sand or gravel or dips at intersections...

I personally don't care for cruisers, and the few I've ridden just felt way to lumbering and lazy. Not to mention I never see them out here when the Cali weather dips below about 65 or gets over 80...  ::)  only get to wave at ADV's and sport tourers...

All good, if the miss' can't stand the PC800, she can get her own bike.

THIS was one man's solution when age and knee problems became an issue for (man) handling the C10.
Click in the "this" for install pix.

tow%20pac%209-L.jpg

Me? I'm 6' 1-1/2" on a good day, but those don't happen very often. An imbalance issue had me looking for a solution, and I went with the Soucy Rocker. Sidestand was tweaked to allow a greater lean angle after installing the rocker and sliding the fork tubes up in the clamps about 3/4". Also have age working against me as well. Getting the bike up on the centerstand - forget that. It was tough when I was younger and in better shape. It's a learned technique; sometomes it works, sometimes it doesn't - for me, anyway.

However, follow the advice of the others. If you're not comfortable with the bike, get rid of it and find one that you are.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
BLUF/TL;DR - I sort of ended up with a Connie and a PC800... I'm really too short to happily keep the Connie upright but should I really let it go and keep the Tupperware torpedo instead?

Hi Vince,

I found myself in a very similar position, but for a different reason. And the PC800 was a good option in my mind for an entirely different reason, please allow me to explain.

I own a 2011 C-14 that I have adored her for the past couple years since I bought her used. And I am helping a coworker get out on the road safely as a new rider, with a bike he can handle that is reliable. I helped to locate an ugly, but good running PC800 that we plan to restore over the fall and winter. It appears the prior owner was a much better wench than a bike cosmetics wrangler. Because that dude really messed up the plastic removing it to "restore the bike" and while he got the bike running and riding very well, he broke most of the plastic disassembling it!

Yes the C-14 is fine for me with close to 40 years of street experience, but it is definitely not for everyone, and even more so if it is a bad physical fit as an experienced rider. In the case of my buddy, he is basically a street bike nubie and there is no way I would put him on anything remotely close to a C-14. So I will need to dust off my MSF instructor hat (88-92) in the spring and get him out on the PC800 for a week of parking lot exercises on top of some practical situational training. Then he will attend a current MSF course, we'll get him licensed, and take him out for some gentle rides out on some the more remote desert roads where we live.

The PC800 is a great bike that does many things very well. You should do what makes you feel comfortable and that is the bottom line. You are talking about two wonderful machines and that is a great starting point.

Last edited: