• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

AST Passenger Peg Lowering Kit Muffler interference

bowman.justin77

Looking for some advice, ideas. I have a 2013 Concours with a Two Brothers carbon exhaust slip-on. I am thinking this an earlier version as it doesn't look like the newer versions and the T-Rex luggage cages and the AST peg lowering kit both hit the engine side of the muffler. I am going to get a new muffler but am looking to see if anyone else had experienced the same issue and if there is a recommendation to ensure the lower pegs can stay.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated and I will have a used Two Brothers slip-on available for sale in the near future.

Following

I have the stock can and dremeled the heat shield for clearance on the AST brackets.

I've got the Vance and Hines slip on. I had to "massage" the mid pipe with the end of my wrench so that it would clear the brake pivot.

I had the AST lowering brackets on my bike, bought a TBR slip on and it wouldn't work for the same reason you are having, I removed the AST lowering brackets and replaced them with Murphs lowering pegs.

Loosen the clamps and try rotating the mid pipe.
--Rotating the mid pipe sort of acts as a cam action.
----That cam action gives extra clearance.
If that doesn't work; Remove the muffler hanger strap, and make a slightly longer one.
Then push down on the muffler as you install the new hanger.
---The head pipes will easily flex enough to allow the movement.

Ride safe, Ted

I have a '13 Concours and at one time had a Two Brother slip-on, with the Projekt D lowering bracket. All worked out fine for me. I eventually changed to an Area P slip-on due to a personal preference. My passenger pegs still work fine with this setup.

Thank you all for the info. I have tried to "twist" the midpipe to get me a different clearance but was unable to get the clearance needed. This looks to be a first gen two brothers black series can, and the newer models have a different flange and tip. I am going to change to a Delkevic, it is probably time for an upgrade anyway. Be safe out there, the wife and I were able to get the Ducati out for a breakfast ride in between snows. A brisk 37 degrees, but lots of elf, turkeys and deer! Come on spring!

Bowman, did you try disconnecting the hangers, and pushing the muffler's down slightly?
Here is a picture of my bike with the "extended Hangers" and rear peg/passenger lowerer's.
I added these as the Muzzy's didn't clear my bags.

My OOps. I just realized that you probably have front/rider Peg Lowerers?

Ride safe, Ted

Bowman, did you try disconnecting the hangers, and pushing the muffler's down slightly?
Here is a picture of my bike with the "extended Hangers" and rear peg/passenger lowerer's.
I added these as the Muzzy's didn't clear my bags.

My OOps. I just realized that you probably have front/rider Peg Lowerers?

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted, yeah I actually installed both rider and passenger lowering kits. I am right over 6ft and my knees are right against the largest flange on the tank. The kit helped get my knee into the tank, which I am sure will help in the twisties. My wife complains about knee pain on longer rides, and comparing her position to our Multistrada these should get her a little more extension and forward, mirroring the other bike fit. I can get it to fit IF I remove the middle bolt from the hanger, leaving only the header and the muffler as the points of support for the system. I am not sure about that, but my new system arrives today and I already removed the old system, waiting for the arrival to begin the installation. I am considering it a late birthday present to myself in preparation for the summer riding season. We have lots of long trips planned around Colorado, and even meeting abuddy from California in Utah for some riding. I will let you know if the lowering brackets fit the bill.

I can get it to fit IF I remove the middle bolt from the hanger, leaving only the header and the muffler as the points of support for the system.

I understand about the new arriving soon. Enjoy the new exhaust.
NOTE: Leaving the bolt out was not my intention.
I built new hanger strips for the mufflers and installed them.. {they about 3/4" - 1" longer than the original's}
After several heat cycles the exhaust system normalized to the new position.
(You can see the stock hanger in the Table picture, and the extended hanger in the Muzzy installed picture)

Riding Colorado; Ohhhh ahhhhhh...

Ride safe, Ted