• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ATGATT!

Tinsailor

Just wanted to make a point about this.
Most of you probably don’t know this but I took a pretty good spill in NC at the Beat the Heat Rally.
Did a low side and ended up totaling the bike and went into a ditch full of very large rocks. Even though I got a broken ankle and wrist with some tender ribs out of it, I had all my gear on which is probably the reason why I don’t hardly have a scratch on me other than the already mentioned injuries. There was some shredding on the jacket and pants but the main thing that really gave me a moment of pause was the chin bar of my Shoie Neotec was busted. If not for the gear the outcome of this could have been far, far worse.
Wear your gear folks, it’s important and can pay for itself in an instant.

Yikes!
I'm glad you're still around to tell the tale. I think these kind of stories help to remind us that it's worth the time and sweat to wear ATGATT.
Thanks for sharing.

Glad you weren't more damaged. Any mesh gear with jacket or pants? I won't wear anything else than a full face helmet. Hitting a deer, being thrown from the bike taught me that. I don't know how far I slid on the asphalt, but my chin bar was missing a bunch of fiberglass when I examined it. Happened so fast I had no idea my head was grinding against the road. Again; glad your injuries weren't more serious!

Tim, Im sorry to hear about this. Glad that you were in the gear. The broken chin bar on the Shoei is the main reason that I dont have a modular helmet. I still believe in the DOT, SNELL approvals on a full face. Heal quick!

Tinsailor said:
Wear your gear folks, it’s important and can pay for itself in an instant.

How true this is, when you think about it.

Mine paid off when I lowsided making a turn on my little 454, was trying to beat the rain home and hit a spot right in the apex of a sharp turn that got freshly wet, so it was kinda greasy, and let's just say that tires that wear like iron also grip like iron. Before I knew it the bike was down, and I'm sliding on hands and knees for about ten feet after bouncing my right shoulder off the pavement.

No injuries except for a sore shoulder for a while. Without the gear, probably would have a broken shoulder, faceplanted and tumbled instead of sliding to a stop on all fours like a little horsie. The gear did its job and didnt even get a mark on it.

The bike got a little dinged, but I rode it home and straightened the triple tree, it's still in the stable.

The Neotec is modular but it stayed together. I agree, the Snell has a better rating but I’ll probably get another Shoei just like it.
The Jacket was a mesh Fieldsheer and held up very well, it’s still very usable. And I forgot to mention the Firstgear boots that probably kept my ankle from being hurt even worse.
I see a lot of youngsters wearing gym shorts and tennis shoes, makes my knees weak just thinking what would happen if they go down.

Sorry to hear Tin.

Happy you took the time to post.

I shredded my Alpinestars/Olympia gear and immediately replaced it with Motoport.

Ankles have screws and plates in the left and a total ankle on the right. I switched over to Forma Adventures to protect them from any future damage. Waterproof and stable. Walk like a tennis shoe.

I saw that video. I guess he’s cool as long as he doesn’t have a get off at speed. We all see people riding dressed like they’re going to the shower.

Watching that video made me ask 2 questions. Has the rider never had a reason for evasive maneuvers? Will HD use the video as a testimonial for the stability of their machines?

This is a good thread to ask whether it would be reasonable to cut back on the gear if the ride was a 3 wheeler and speeds were moderate on local roads (i.e. about 40 mph max speed).  The difference between a 3 wheeler and a 2 wheeler would be that an oil slick or a slushie dump in the road could cause the 2 wheeler to go down.  Hopefully on 3 wheels there might be a quick skid then a recovery by counter steering.  Running off the road or getting hit by left turning cars would have the same odds, I expect, and without atgatt would be worse for pain & injuries.

It would seem plausible to reduce the amount of Personal Protective Equipment when riding a 3-wheeler but I'd advise against it. While you may be correct that a 3 wheeler is less likely to go down, the rider may be more likely to be tossed off. Either way they are still sliding down the roadway and/or impacting solid objects. Just my opinion.

Maybe in a Slingshot wear you are more of a driver with seatbelts and a cage but on something like a Spider wear you are definitely a rider I would say no. When I was racing motocross one of my friends little brothers started racing three wheelers. I figured I was a 250 A class rider who was winning a lot I can ride that three wheeler! Not I learned the hard way, I don't  mess with three wheels anymore LOL

I highly recommend getting an airbag vest.  I've had an Hit-Air for a couple years now.  The cost may seem high...but just compare that with one night in the ER.

Chris

I agree about the sliding and getting thrown off.  What I'd want to do is wear (similar, not actual) bicycle type gear for short commutes in temperate or hot weather rather than full ATGATT.  I'd also pre-start more like a car since mechanical failure would be less likely to cause an accident.
Something else that might pay off is an electric pre-oiler but that belongs in another section.

Tim, I'm so glad that you are healing and that your gear protected you as much as it could.  Both Jorge and I wear our gear.  He took quite a spill at the Wolf 2016 and his gear protected him from road rash.  This year I was hit from behind as I was making a right turn.  I went down. I didn't realize I had hit my head because I was wearing my helmet and gear.  I'd rather wear my gear than later on regret not having it on if I go down.

Irene

I know there’s a lot of debate about this subject and all I can say is that concrete and asphalt have absolutely no respect for flesh and bone. That being said, it’s a personal choice.

I won't debate either.  My gear has saved me a lot of pain and I'm not a pain junkie.  Despite that I have to admit that of 4 times I've fallen off the bike all 4 were essentially balance versus traction issues.  One time my chin bar / face shield may have broken the wind screen after a "low side" when I took the wrong exit and started feeling my oats too much while looping on the 3rd leg of a 4 way cloverleaf.  Another time I slid on the stuff that accumulates on the cusp between the slow lane and an exit, said slide wearing through my heavy jeans but not the exterior of my name-brand riding jacket.  Gloves kept my hands in good condition.  On 2 wheels ATGATT is the best bet.

Always good to revive this conversation as laziness is a real thing. All of us who have gone sliding across slab will never waver from wearing ATGATT. We are somewhat lucky here in the PNW as the weather is so crap for 9 months of the year that you pretty much wear ATGATT just to not freeze.

When I went sliding across I5 in downtown Seattle, besides my luck at not getting run over by a cager, my one piece Scorpion suit was turned into confetti, but I lost no skin and had no enduring injuries to anything but my pride.

When I am down in CA, which I call the Old Country, or even worse, AZ, I spend my day painfully cringing at all the people I see riding without gear. Then I remind myself, Darwin.

Sort of on-topic, when and/or how did you make the change from heavy street clothes to full ATGATT?
I still haven't gone "all the way"  ::)
I bought a riding jacket after I had my MC endorsement long enough to realize I was a serious rider.  Before that I was using my winter coat and extra layers for the cold.  I still don't have riding pants or a full suit.  I'm reluctant to go further with the power ranger look, as silly as that may sound here.  I wear heavy pants for work and that's how I ride, at least I haven't used shorts either.
It seems like there's no excuse for the look without motocross or track days.  Or maybe doing a lot more fun riding than I do now.

Tour1 said:
Sort of on-topic, when and/or how did you make the change from heavy street clothes to full ATGATT?
I still haven't gone "all the way"  ::)
I bought a riding jacket after I had my MC endorsement long enough to realize I was a serious rider.  Before that I was using my winter coat and extra layers for the cold.  I still don't have riding pants or a full suit.  I'm reluctant to go further with the power ranger look, as silly as that may sound here.  I wear heavy pants for work and that's how I ride, at least I haven't used shorts either.
It seems like there's no excuse for the look without motocross or track days.  Or maybe doing a lot more fun riding than I do now.

If you need convincing, take a pair of you old heavy work jeans place a piece of firewood in a leg and lay a belt sander on it. The split second it takes for the sander to rip through is how fast the pavement will be eating at your skin in a slide.

Tour1, for myself, I made the transition fairly quickly.  Someone else here mentioned they learn from others mistakes.  I try to do the same thing.  I've seen road rash on others, and it isn't pretty.  I've also seen the months and months it has taken for them to be able to ride again...and not without pain.

I also look at the comments of others and shake my head in wonder.  One guy had riding pants...but he usually carried them in his storage.  I guess he knew when he'd get into an accident, and when he wouldn't???

And I can just see myself trying to explain to my wife why I'm stuck now in a hospital bed and rapidly draining the family's savings because I had my riding gear, but chose to not wear it.  I don't want to go there.

Putting on my riding gear is just a part of riding to me now.  When I realized that the difference between riding in the summer and winter was just one layer of clothing, it didn't seem so bad.  And the couple times I carried my riding pants in the trunk...I felt so uncomfortable, that I just put them on all the time. 

Chris

Gloves, helmet, jacket,boots and jeans. If I did not have children, grandchildren or a wife I wouldn't wear the gear.

Daboo said:
Tour1, for myself, I made the transition fairly quickly.  Someone else here mentioned they learn from others mistakes.  I try to do the same thing.  I've seen road rash on others, and it isn't pretty.  I've also seen the months and months it has taken for them to be able to ride again...and not without pain.

I also look at the comments of others and shake my head in wonder.  One guy had riding pants...but he usually carried them in his storage.  I guess he knew when he'd get into an accident, and when he wouldn't???

And I can just see myself trying to explain to my wife why I'm stuck now in a hospital bed and rapidly draining the family's savings because I had my riding gear, but chose to not wear it.  I don't want to go there.

Putting on my riding gear is just a part of riding to me now.  When I realized that the difference between riding in the summer and winter was just one layer of clothing, it didn't seem so bad.  And the couple times I carried my riding pants in the trunk...I felt so uncomfortable, that I just put them on all the time. 

Chris
A few years ago, I was riding to work on local freeway. Saw an accident Lexus RX350 vs crotch rocket (couldn't make the make/model out) The rider was on a stretcher motionless. The rider was wearing full leather suit (i am sure high quality). I didn't stop, but I am sure rider was badly hurt. It was a nice, clear and dry day - perfect for enjoying a spot of riding!

I am aware that ATGATT makes some riders feel invincible.
But behind the most rigid armor is still a malleable human body highly susceptible to internal damage from g-force of an impact.

The number one cause of motorcycle death is reckless behavior which includes speeding, impaired operation, failure to yield to name a few.

I still wear jacket, boots, gloves when riding. But I do not have blind faith in motorcycle riding gear. 

Cheers... 

RoadKillHeaven said:
...The number one cause of motorcycle death is reckless behavior which includes speeding, impaired operation, failure to yield to name a few. 
In my younger day, I did some mountain climbing.  There were a couple times when I realized I did some stupid things, but for the most part, it was just a fantastic time.  Many would say it was too hazardous, that I could get myself killed hanging off the side of some cliff face, especially as the lead climber.  (The lead climber gets to fall twice the distance of the rope, not just a few feet.)  Yet I think it was a safe sport.  You looked at the risks.  Trained.  Got the right gear.  And did it.  The couple times I did something I consider stupid, fall into that phrase used above, "reckless behavior".  Just like motorcycle riding.

Air bags and seat belts in your autos are also no guarantee that you will emerge unscathed from a collision.  They do greatly improve the odds, however. Being ATGATT also improves the odds but is no substitute for not being stupid.

FWIW, there's plenty of riding gear that doesn't require you to look like a "power ranger."

Daboo said:
RoadKillHeaven said:
...The number one cause of motorcycle death is reckless behavior which includes speeding, impaired operation, failure to yield to name a few. 
In my younger day, I did some mountain climbing.  There were a couple times when I realized I did some stupid things, but for the most part, it was just a fantastic time.  Many would say it was too hazardous, that I could get myself killed hanging off the side of some cliff face, especially as the lead climber.  (The lead climber gets to fall twice the distance of the rope, not just a few feet.)  Yet I think it was a safe sport.  You looked at the risks.  Trained.  Got the right gear.  And did it.  The couple times I did something I consider stupid, fall into that phrase used above, "reckless behavior".  Just like motorcycle riding.
If you were climbing skyscrapers instead of mountain cliffs, that would be stupid.
Climbing is a dangerous sport, and just like motorcycle racing requires intestinal fortitude to be successful.
When engaged in extreme sports, most of the time public is not in danger , only those who participate are. Usually extreme sports take place at areas where public will not become casualty. 
Reckless driving on public roads creates dangerous conditions for others and puts a burden on first responders to clean up the mess that could have been avoided in the first place.

Cheers...

In about 150,000 miles of riding I have had 5 serious crashes. Three of them would have probably killed me had I not been wearing a helmet. Cowhide jacket and pants saved my hide. Leather gloves and boots saved my extremities. Ride safe.

You gotta talk with your guardian angel some more. :D Yours seem to be sleeping on the job. :D :D :D

Chris

:D I've had one get-off, back in @1982. I was living at RAF Lakenheath and working at RAF Mildenhall. In between the two bases, is a one lane farming road. I was coming home one evening at dusk and went into a corner that I thought was a gentle turn, when in fact it was a sharp 90 degree turn. I leaned what it meant to high side the bike that evening.

I was wearing a helmet and gloves, but everything else was just my normal blue USAF uniform. I picked myself up off the ground, shaking a bit, and inventoried the damage. About all that happened was my lightweight blue uniform jacket was a bit dirty.

But!...since then my guardian angels have been working far to hard. Too many times, I've been almost in an accident...but wasn't. I was going to say I don't ride without ATGATT...but I guess I should add that I take those guardian angels with me too. :D

Chris