• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Aug 5 Sat NW Volcano Ride 20th annual

I'm gonna have to back out of this ride, it is the same weekend as the Vernonia Jamboree and we can't miss that.

I was just lookin' around for maybe something to entertain myself with and meet some local folks while out in the Northwet and came across this.

Not 100% sure yet, but I think I'm in. Nothing like meeting up with the locals to find good riding.

We will be trailering the Versys behind the Roadtrek and camping somewhere(yet to be determined) in the area at that time.

I'm gonna have to back out of this one, Jami and I are going try and beat the heat and head towards water this weekend instead of volcano's. :truce:

Ride safe and stay hydrated,

Expect the heat to minimize the attendance but the ride is still on.
Castle Rock forecast is for 89 F Sat. Not that hot. I will use the std mesh gear and hydro pack back pack with ice. May be break out the evap cooling vest.

danodemotoman said:
Expect the heat to minimize the attendance but the ride is still on.
Castle Rock forecast is for 89 F Sat. Not that hot. I will use the std mesh gear and hydro pack back pack with ice. May be break out the evap cooling vest.
After hosting the ride for 18 yrs of the 20 I am giving it up to new blood, already have a new host for next year and will leave it to that person to announce.

I'm still in. Not sure I'll make the 8am breakkie but will arrive before kick stands up. I'm 2 hours away near Carson.

Looks like I might make it, will try to be there before kick stands up and hopefully get coffee for breakfast.

If Photobucket hadn't gone full on extortion I would post a picture of the broken blister I created on the palm of my hand last night.  I did it with a floor scraper, for those who's minds went straight to the gutter.  :nananana:  It's bigger than a quarter, and it's going to keep me from riding for at least a few days. :mad:  Enjoy the curves for me, because I won't be able to make it tomorrow.  I'll be there next year, though.  At least I better be.  Dan can fill you in on those details.

Just my luck on doing a check before leaving the ride, discovered a nail in the rear tire!  :mad: :mad:

Finished patching, was so close to attending! One of these years...  :motonoises:

Anyway, here's the culprit
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4410/35580227973_468fb506ff_b.jpg

and the low pressure warnings
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4393/36388162485_9a1d312ffc_b.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4399/36388168135_dc6e09a669_b.jpg

And the nail size for comparison
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4337/35991779820_2eeb198e13_z.jpg

Dam just made this run last week with some friends, i would have totally run it this week with other C10s and C14s...

Picture of my C10 with my buddies FJR.  https://goo.gl/photos/FwLPSHGEGzCtfVH18

Grant said:
Dam just made this run last week with some friends, i would have totally run it this week with other C10s and C14s...
And a six fiddy Versys.

Had a good time, hope all y'all met up again. I wound up with just short of 400 miles for the day, up to Randle and dropping down the east side of St Helens.

Departing for John Day today.

Had a great ride with 6 riders on 6 bikes. The Food at the Little Crane restaurant in Vader was as good as ever.
The traffic up the west side to Johnston Ridge view point of Mt St Helens was light as we left Vader just after 9 AM.
The BC smoke in the air was hazy but still a decent volcano view.
Steve J and I had the 'old man' senior pass so we had no admittance fee for the group.
We stayed to view the short 15 min film of the pre and post views of the volcano.
The parking lot went from partial to nearly full ( multi model DODGE group arrived)  as we exited so our timing was good as far as the crowd size.
Traffic was light going down too. and as it is a tourist road the loud handle was restricted with limited passing of cages.
Steve J split off before Castle Rock.
Rest of us stopped off  for fuel and delicious burgers in Castle Rock. Yumm I had the Elk Burger and fries.
Continued the afternoon ride with 4 riders and the pace quickened. Riding the back twisty roads west of I-5. Traffic was light.
At 4:30 and after adding a few extra roads ( addicting, hard to stop, many more to ride that day) we came out at Grand Mound on old hwy 99 where two split off for Orygun and Steve and I heading north. I did not slab but took old 99 over I-5 and thru Yelm etc back home to Graham.
Thanks to all for riding and I enjoyed the ride group very much. The heat was not too bad. Me using the heat shields below the tank the lone C10. One Versys and 4 C14's.
I forgot my camera but Steve will post pics and utube links.

I wish i had been paying closer attention to the forum and this ride, you wouldn't have been the only C10...

Very nice, hope to be there next year. Maybe just maybe I will be on a new C-14. :motonoises:

Hope to see you before 'next year'!
As announced at the regional last w/e the Volcano ride with continue into the 21st annual with at least two changes:

1) Charlie Gary WA AAD had agreed to host. I have enjoyed 18 of the last 20. Time for change.

2) Charlie hinted ' there is more than one volcano' ...  stay tuned.