• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Aux light attachment to front struts.

That bolt hole just forward of the fork tube works well, It holds the fender on. You need a longer bolt and a 1/2" long spacer and that's it.
Be Careful. The reason I came up with these is I first used the hole that mounts the fender and the crack the $200 fender. A number of people have had similar experiences. The ABS doesn't like it.

I've been running that way for at least 10 years with no problem. I've had it apart a couple times for fork service and didn't see any cracks. You can see from the picture that there is a washer under the spacer that maximizes surface contact on the plastic. I'm able to pull the bolt down good and tight to where the light is solid. Obviously you are pulling down on plastic, so overtightening is a concern.

Attachments

• 20210831_105023[3657].jpg
    20210831_105023[3657].jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 127
I've been running that way for at least 10 years with no problem. I've had it apart a couple times for fork service and didn't see any cracks. You can see from the picture that there is a washer under the spacer that maximizes surface contact on the plastic. I'm able to pull the bolt down good and tight to where the light is solid. Obviously you are pulling down on plastic, so overtightening is a concern.
Although I'm happy for your good fortune (and I hope it continues) the problem many have is not the fender cracking (at first) but rather the metal fatigue that causes the bracket underneath to break. Then after the bracket breaks the fender is stressed and it too breaks or cracks.

Mine broke on one side and I replaced it without fender damage, then the other side broke and it caused some fender damage. I used epoxy putty to fix the fender and removed the lights and purchased the expensive (IMO) light brackets from Twisted Throttle. At that time either n3nman wasn't making them for sale or I wasn't aware of their availability. :(

Interesting. I will monitor mine more closely. I just looked and no signs of cracking yet. My lights are small and not very heavy. That bracket appears to be about 1/8th inch thick so its fairly sturdy, although bending aluminum can weaken it (depending on the type).

Interesting. I will monitor mine more closely. I just looked and no signs of cracking yet. My lights are small and not very heavy. That bracket appears to be about 1/8th inch thick so its fairly sturdy, although bending aluminum can weaken it (depending on the type).
Always love when you offer knowledge DS. I think there a re lots of accounts of cracked fenders but your engineering back ground added the washer in there making sense to us guys who understand Force/Pressure and Area. Since I am not an engineer and don't want to go looking for a fender I got the brackets and have been pretty happy....happy enough to look for a second pair. Going to be over there in Sept for the car show. May hit you up and say hi.

I don't normally consider myself lucky, if its going to break or fail it will happen to me. But so far so good on this one. I didn't even know this was a problem. If I ever do have a problem I'll be ordering a set of these right away. Actually I'll take a set, sending PM.
Going to be over there in Sept for the car show. May hit you up and say hi.
Tom, if I'm around that weekend you're more than welcome to look me up. But I will see you at the Spider for sure.
Made them from 4130 .80 thick steel. You can probably mount most lights on them,
Very nice, you could probably suspend the front end from the ceiling with them! I work with a lot of 4130n. It used to be called Aircraft tubing (or chomemoly) and is very strong and consequently light weight due to the very thin wall thickness you can use.. Wonderful stuff to bend and especially weld, with no loss of strength. The frame on my KTM sdgt is made from this stuff and Ill guess the wall thickness to be .065 or less.

This was my results when I mounted them to the fender mount hole. I even used a washer with rubber backing on it. Made a shoulder bushing so it did not tighten on the plastic much. Was totally surprised that it still cracked. If you look close you can see the spider cracks coming from the whole. I bought a new fender then decided to fiberglass this one and wait till I really screwed it up. Hence the brackets.PXL_20210831_163232672.jpg