• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Avon AV46 rear tire problem

suzukijay

Mini Bike
I know those people that swear by Avons won't believe me but I had a problem w/ an Avon rear tire that decided to go bad while on the road.  The tire had ~4000 miles so there was lots of tread and it is inflated to 40-42 psi.  The bike started to get a weird vibration that only got worse w/ continued use. 

It is hard to explain what was going on wth the tire but when looking at the rear tire spinning from behind the bike while on the centerstand it would all of the sudden SHIFT to the LEFT.  Anyone that has dealt with spoked wheels would have assumed that the mag wheel was instead a spoked rim that need adjustment.

Luckily a local shop had a Dunlop D205  in stock and it fixed the problem.  :) 

Sounds like a belt let go in the tire twisting the tread. Can be due to a past impact, like a pothole or the belt just fails.

tires.gif

norm9688 said:
Sounds like a belt let go in the tire twisting the tread. Can be due to a past impact, like a pothole or the belt just fails.

tires.gif

Looks as if you are advocating a car tar here!

norm9688 said:

tires.gif

My thoughts exactly!  There have been some recalls in the past for for the exact thing that you are describing.  It is a pretty big deal when you pay big $$$ for motorcycle tires and can't even get the complete life/use of the tire.  I'm just glad that I was able to get it replaced before there was complete seperation that could cause a blowout.

I have not heard of a brand yet that did not have an occasional tire with manufacturing defect.  It is just sad to hear of one from Avon.  When the Azaro front first came out they had a problem with not being perfect but that seem to go away.  Even so the tire did go away.  Now I think its a Storm for front.
All the more reason to inspect your tires every ride.  My understanding is you will not get the D205 much longer either.

Avon has been good at standing behind their tires, including giving a road hazard warranty.  I would have contacted them about the tire myself.  I was very disappointed in the Dunlops on the Connie, both factory original and the D205s.  Have loved the Avons I have had.

Robert_Elliott_GA said:
Avon has been good at standing behind their tires, including giving a road hazard warranty.  I would have contacted them about the tire myself.  I was very disappointed in the Dunlops on the Connie, both factory original and the D205s.  Have loved the Avons I have had.
I didn't really have any choice to even try and let Avon stand behind their tires.  It was very tempting to have the shop give the tire back to me but since I was on the road and the bike was already fully loaded the tire stayed @ the shop.  :mad: 

A tale of a Storm II delam causing a crash over on advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636925

Rob said:
A tale of a Storm II delam causing a crash over on advrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636925
all.
Rob,
Thanks for the link.  My other riding buddies were giving me a hard time that night for not wanting to continue on the same tire the next day.  Once they saw how it was deflecting to the left once every rotation or the rear tire they didn't blame me @