• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Avon Spirit St

dashriprock1974

I did my first tire change and balance (front and rear) about three weeks ago and decided to give the Spirit ST a shot. After a short scrub in cycle, I let em' loose and so far, I love them! They perform as if they were meant for my C14. Super consistent and predictable in a very good way. Pretty effortless and smooth drop in and level out. I'm quickly narrowing my chicken strips. Just cruising, they are confidence inspiring. Road imperfections, tar snakes, cracks, etc. are an after thought. I cannot comment on their ability in wet conditions yet but, the fellas at Avon that I spoke to say these tires excel in the wet but, really, what else are they gonna say? Hope they last forever but, out of the three sets of different model Avon's I've used, I've found that they are super sticky and don't last as long as others. Revzilla price matched these for me with Dennis Kirk while they had them at a discount. Plus I had about $30 Zilla bucks and I paid $199 for the set.

I put a set of the Spirit ST's on my FJR this summer and I also like the way they feel and handle. We just got back from a weekend of Arkansas twisties and they performed very well.

Going to watch this thread  :great: because the Avon Storm 3's have been my consistent tire choice for years,
and always ready to consider an improvement from the same shop. 

My tire probably to be phased out? 

I think;
The Storm's were phased out by the 3D-XM's.
Now the 3D -XM's are being phased out by the Spirit's.

Ride safe, Ted

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes that is correct. Spirit is the new ST long mileage tire from Avon. I ran 3 sets of the 3DXM's but every time had a head-shake, was able to get 6K before the tires (Avons) were toast. Never (head shake) with the Pirelli GT's or the current mounted set of Dunlop Road Smarts.

I currently have 2700 miles on the RS's. I have another trip coming up in May where I take the C14 to Northern CA. The trip is not planned yet but I expect it will be 2500-3K total so I am hoping the RS's last the entire trip.

Killface said:
Hope they last forever but, out of the three sets of different model Avon's I've used, I've found that they are super sticky and don't last as long as others.

As a long time fan of the 3D-XM's, I've been through over a dozen sets. I found them to outlast any other tire I ever tried. They averaged 6,800 + or - 300. Goes to show different roads, riding style will make everyone's results vary. They were very good tires in all conditions.

Just finished my 1st set of ST's & not very pleased at this point. I'll have to go through a second for a fair opinion though. Mileage was only 4,045 & their way beyond worn out. Around 2,000 - 2,200 miles handling started going downhill fast. In their defense though it was all brisk riding in the twisties, zero highway miles.

If the second set doesn't do any better I'll be trying something else!

Just Cliff said:
Killface said:
Hope they last forever but, out of the three sets of different model Avon's I've used, I've found that they are super sticky and don't last as long as others.

As a long time fan of the 3D-XM's, I've been through over a dozen sets. I found them to outlast any other tire I ever tried. They averaged 6,800 + or - 300. Goes to show different roads, riding style will make everyone's results vary. They were very good tires in all conditions.

Just finished my 1st set of ST's & not very pleased at this point. I'll have to go through a second for a fair opinion though. Mileage was only 4,045 & their way beyond worn out. Around 2,000 - 2,200 miles handling started going downhill fast. In their defense though it was all brisk riding in the twisties, zero highway miles.

If the second set doesn't do any better I'll be trying something else!

Hiya Cliff.

Iff'n yer talking Pirelli Angel ST's, they don't wear near as well as the GT's. I don't know the percentage but it is substantial.

And on the 14 you would likely want the A spec.