• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Avon Storm 3D X-M 15,000 mile warranty

landon

Mini Bike
Anyone see that Avon is offering a 15,000 mile warranty on this tire? If you don't get 15,000 miles of use out of the tire they will reimburse a percentage based on the mileage you did get. If they are willing to say they can go 15,000 or they will give you part of your money back, I am going to give them a try. I used to run Avon Storms on my ST and always like them.

http://www.avonmoto.com/blog/5607

You have to register within 10 days of purchase and buy an Avon replacement tyre if worn out happens before 15000 mi..
Looks like a good deal for the consumer and the manufacturer.
I have a new 3D XM on the front....

I read that and figured that was no big deal. Since I only got 4,500 miles out of a rear PR3, I will take a manufactures offer to try their tire if they are offering a 15,000 guarantee.

WOW.  I like these tires on C14.

I'm to read the fine print and maybe get money back from a good handling tire!  Christmas!

Obviously you're not going to get 15k miles out of them. I would want to see the pro-rate table, I bet the reimbursement goes way down somewhere around 6-7000 miles. Avon has had issues with the storms developing split carcasses, I had one and I've read numerous reports of the same thing happening to others. Their reputation stands to take a beating; they're trying to get folks into the avon mindset and keep them there, like a car dealer keeping you upside down so you trade in every few years. Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
I would want to see the pro-rate table, I bet the reimbursement goes way down somewhere around 6-7000 miles.

Wrong.

Per the warranty page:
"Credit will be determined by dividing the actual mileage delivered by the miles warranted and multiplying the result times the current selling price shown on your receipt of the replacement Avon tire."

Landon said:
Steve in Sunny Fla said:
I would want to see the pro-rate table, I bet the reimbursement goes way down somewhere around 6-7000 miles.

Wrong.

Per the warranty page:
"Credit will be determined by dividing the actual mileage delivered by the miles warranted and multiplying the result times the current selling price shown on your receipt of the replacement Avon tire."

I had a BMW K1200LT before this, a number of people tried the Storms when they had free road hazard warranties and reported delamination/splitting at around 5,000 miles.  On three motorcycles, I've never had more than 6,000 miles on the rear, so a 15,000 mile warranty sounds enticing, but the delamination issues scare me.

I think that is how they got to this point.  I assume they have reworked the product and are trying to get folks back on board.  I like a different brand tire I use now and have not plans to take them up on this offer. 

But, if I did like the Avon predecessor to this tire, I might consider going back.  Kind of a situation where a company is putting their money where their mouth is.  I imagine they do this knowing it is a better product. 

I really appreciate these tire opinion posts. This one in particular has helped me remember my bad experience with Avon Storms. In 2013 I had a set installed to replace the OEM's Stones on a 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere. The vibration was so bad I brought it back after one day of the commute to work. It was the last straw for me on the Super Tenere. My hands would vibrate so bad my fingers would go to sleep. The Avon tires made it much worse. First we rebalanced the tires and tried again. Nope... finger buzz started the numbing effect in 10 minutes of highway cruising. I ordered the Stones replacement and then sold the Super Tenere. I had the wrong bike for 70-85 mph commuting. The tires just made it worse. Bad run on the Avon production? Probably. But those experiences stick in the mind.

To be honest, I am considering giving them a try, one more time. But I have had such good service from Shinko Verge 2x tires that my third set will have to come first. I am in a place of staying with successful choices until there is a problem. Right now, Shinko has the answer for my tire questions.

I agree its part of marketing to increase sales. This rear size was not available for weeks so they lost some customers.  If you get 10-12k on a tire most folks know you will not get much money prorated in trade for a replacement. A few dollars will not be worth your time.  My rear Ultra was up to about 14k before I had a small cut or split in the middle.  I purchased my rear storm 3Dxm over the internet and a local installed for me.  I spoke to the Avon rep at the time and he was impressed that the old got 14k miles on it.  He did not mention anything about warranty or road hazard or any of that for the 3Dxm I purchased.  Its over 10 days but I'll try to register the tire this weekend and see if the webpage accepts it.  I'm not concerned about the 15k miles but rather a defective tire show up within the first couple thousand or a premature death.  They claim to replace/refund if its 1.5mm or less wear.  I'm over 1000 now so it should be good for the duration.  If their claim of 20% more mileage is correct then I should get almost 17k on mine....right!  ;)

I installed the 3D XM tires ~4K ago. I don't care about the warrantee but I will say I have a significant head shake after the install between 45-40 mph if I let go of the bars. I have had multiple sets of Pirellis and a set of PR4's and never had this issue, even the OEM tires were OK. If these wear well I may give them one more try. But if the head shake does not go away I am going back to Pirelli GT's or the PR4's.  :beerchug:

Might be worth a try.
Duckman/others can tell us what they find out.

I suspect a disclaimer in the warranty somewhere...
For instance, something like they must be installed by a Avon dealership...
And/or, the tire must be shipped to Avon for them to reimburse you $$.

Ride safe, Ted

Yep, if you make a claim via replacing a tire at a dealer then they will want you to mail them the bad tire so they can inspect/evaluate.  I agree I doubt they will ever pay out anything.  The website did accept my purchase registration although it was over 10 days ago. They did ask for the vendor that installed it.  I'll be needing a front tire next.  So far the front Avon has done OK but it will not last until the new rear wears out so it may be awhile before they both get changed at the same time.  later...

gpd323 said:
I don't care about the warrantee but I will say I have a significant head shake after the install between 45-40 mph if I let go of the bars.

gpd, after seeing your head shake experience in the other Storm tire thread, I twice experimented with hands off decelerating from 50 to 40 on my now 3rd set of Storms.  No head shake.  BTW, I don't ride hands off, so I'm never aware of hands-off issues.

Two things I do differently than some riders:
* I run front tires harder - at 44 psi cold, and
* I lowered front 1/2" by raising the forks (to get better handling, which was successful in spades).

connie_rider said:
I suspect a disclaimer in the warranty somewhere...
For instance, something like they must be installed by a Avon dealership...
And/or, the tire must be shipped to Avon for them to reimburse you $$.

My reading of warranty says ... yes, but that's all OK in my book.  Look at what the competition is / is not doing. 
Avon says they will reimburse ground shipping costs if there's warranty coverage. 
Sounds like they're mostly concerned that the tire has not been run underinflated to my reading.
And the tire has to be sold / mounted at a dealer - which again I see as understandable because they want to get more dealers to stock Avon tires.

As far as trying to avoid payout, my experience is Avon stands by their warranty:  decade ago I had an earlier tire that suffered road damage and the dealer I happened upon just called Avon up and it was handling over the phone.  New front tire.  I had to pay for dealer install only.

I ran a set of 3DXMs before the Shinkos I have now. Got a bit less than 6,000 miles out of them, IIRC. But then I switched to the Verges, which I REALLY like, especially at their price point. Don't think I'll be going back to the Avons for several reasons. First of all is my high degree of satisfaction with Shinko. Secondly, I wouldn't qualify for the warranty anyhow, because I buy my tires over the web, and install them myself.

Good luck to any who opt for Avons. They're a good tire, or we're for me, but I'm not a prospect for them. I'd be interested to see the final cost per mile, once purchase, installation, and warranty credit costs are all tabulated. Might wind up being less per mile than Shinkos, but might not. Then there's the hassle factor to consider as well.

Do you get the warranty on the second set? If not lets say the tire is $200 and you get 7500 miles. The second tire is $100. Or is it suggested retail? Which is $287 for the second tire. Your into these tires at $150 each. You save $50 on each tire. If you have to pay full retail you save about $25.  What happens if the tire is discontinued. Do you get the next model?

Hi C14ers,
First time to post here and I know this is an older thread.
What I want to say is even though the warranty reads one way I would still contact Avon rep with any claim you have.  I was treated right.  I did not pass all the requirements but I got a new tire for free that only had 300 miles on it.  I got a nail, I bought on the internet and I mounted it not a dealership.  I did not even have to pay to ship it back to AMT.  Here is my post.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=66154.0

Put a set on my C10 2 days before COG "social" in June @ BRMC
jump on interstate hit 40 mph, head shake, wild wobble, out of control.
go back to house, fiddle with 2 hours.
cut trailer loose, bike feels great up to 90mph
Tires just need breaking in ???
go on trip to BRMC.
then starts showing in bike at 85, then 80, then 75
cut trip short, head home early. Can barely go 65 when get home.
scour the forum, tighten, torque all, bolts, bearings, wheels, forks,
wont go away, even geting worse.
Take bike back to dealer where new 3D X-Mtire mounted.
Barely made it to shop, down to 20mph
feels like head bearing toast.

they did all same work, check all causes, everything up to spec.

New tire with 400 miles on it has "split bands inside the tire"

Ordered new Michelin Road Pilot 4. (thats what came off it, and had 13,800 Miles on it)

saving old tire to take up with refund from online seller.

Will get back on Wends and see if all back to normal.

after reading other post about the 3D X-M rear tire delamination doesnt give me warm fuzzy feeling.

May just write it off and order a new Scorcher 31.

Trailer adds, but I have trailer and all cargo down to 380 lbs, and tongue load down to 21 lbs

(PS 3D rated 761 lbs.  31 rated 908 lbs.)

Jim Snyder said:
Its weird that the Avon Spirit ST's don't have these issues but the 3D-XM's do.

Its wierd that I've had maybe 15 sets of 3D's & never had that problem. Left home Sunday with a brand new set mounted, now at 1,600 miles & smooth as glass. 2 up & loaded.

seems like any tire company can have a bad run.. I can remember back when we were all running the Avon Azaro 45/ combos... they were the best you could buy, lasted long (6-8K) wore nicely, and Pooof... all of a sudden they began splitting and failing one after another, with very low miles on them...

So far so good, with all  the Pilot road series I have gone thru over thee years.. I'll stick to them, untill they Pooofff ..