• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Back to the Shack 2016

LSGiant

August 12-14 It's the annual ride up to the serene land on Horseshoe Lake near Pine River. Explore the roads that wind around the lakes and Jack pines of the north, returning to the shack for some R&R, grillin' and chillin' and b.s.in' around the bonfire. Take in the complimentary north woods ambience of fresh air, loons, beavers, eagles, bullfrogs and other wildlife. If not a camper lodging can be found in town. There will be a couple of spare tents and air mattress's on hand to help lighten your load. Whatever motorcycle you ride, dual sport, adventure tourer or road bike, there are plenty of trails and roads to explore. The Shack is near the central part of the TMAT route (Trans Minnesota Adventure Tour) and plenty of state land with trails and old logging roads for the adventurist. Some of us plan on getting an early start Friday leaving the Forest Lake Perkins by 5:00 possibly trailering dual sport bikes. More details to come as they developed, for exact location of the shack contact me and for more info contact Randy Schafer rides1zg@aol.com or myself.

Just me signed up :)

Just a clarification this is not a dual sport only ride. There are lots of good roads and routes that will be available for street bikes also.

There is a great place to get away from it all and it enjoy the quiet of the North Woods

Unfortunately I have to miss another one due to a camping weekend with kids/grandkids.  Hope you all have a great time and ride safely.  :motonoises:

I will be leaving from the Forest Lake Perkins after 5:00 Friday and will arrive near sunset and have the COG banner put up at the driveway as it can be easy to miss.
There are some nice paved roads around the shack and endless gravel roads, logging roads, state trails and some single track close by for those seeking adventure.
Horseshoe Lake is the warmest it's been in years, no beach but there is a raft, canoe and kayak. Kick back and try your luck at reeling in a Smallie or feed the piranha like sunnies around the dock.
Will have a spare tent or two on hand, an air mattress and pump, and coolers are available if needed. Count on a roaring Bon fire at the day's end, welcome to the northwoods.
:beerchug:

Good morning, I recently joined COG June of this year. I hail from SW Wisconsin. I have participated in a couple of events but no overnighters yet. I am interested in your "Back to the Shack" ride. I have a couple of questions:

1) This is all new to me, is the campground at the Shack? Would it be possible to get the address to the campground? maybe the name of the campground so I can search for it online?

2) Being from Wisconsin, bears do not bother me. What bothers me more; will there be any beer up there?

If I can get things worked out here, I would leave Friday morning, and get up there sometime late afternoon. I will register next week if it looks like a go.

Thanks

Your input would be appreciated.

Typing 458 county road 43 Pine River into Google maps gets you very close, just the wrong side of the road, the shack is west of the road on the bay of Horseshoe lake.
Summer and beer at the shack go together well, downtown Pine River has Ultimate Liquors on 371 just south of 84.
Campsites on this private property is first come, first claimed.
See you there.

Just for a little more clarification.

"The Shack" is a bar with a campground, or a campground with a bar? Just in case I have to ask somebody.

Thanks

ZG

Maybe some pictures will help.

This is from 2014

https://lsgiant.smugmug.com/2014/Back-to-the-Shack/

ZG/ZN Kim said:
I got it, thanks for the info. I will be tenting and riding a road bike. Be there Friday PM.

That is great look forward to meeting you. My cell is listed in the sign up feel free to call if you have questions.

Went for a test run last night

P8060547-M.jpg

The weather forecast looks spectacular.

Have fun at the Shack. I've made the decision to be home this weekend. We have two of the grandkids on Saturday and Delaine needs the help. She needs a break from running a daycare all week, so having kids over the weekend creates undue stress. It's in my best interest to be a responsible adult for a change. This approach toward responsibility probably won't last long, but it's good to try new things. I'm sure it's overrated.

I do have other things that need to get done this weekend, too.

I will have the grandkids sitting on the bikes in the garage. They enjoy that and it's a hoot to watch. It also helps justify the reason to have more than one motorcycle.

Have a beverage or two for me.

I will be at the Spider ride and the Hunt. See you there.

Ride safe and have fun.

Going to head up Friday directly from Bloomington. Right now it appears nobody is stopping at the Perkins in Forest Lake everybody on a little different path or schedule.

LSGiant said:
Going to head up Friday directly from Bloomington. Right now it appears nobody is stopping at the Perkins in Forest Lake everybody on a little different path or schedule.

What time are you leaving? 

If you want a wing man, I will be free anytime after 3:00.

That is unless you are planning an off road route on the KTM. Then I will pass. :motonoises:

I will be skipping the meet up at the F. L. Perkins for an earlier start, have not heard from anyone that is meeting there.
I have a suggested route I usually take up starting on
47 north
Left on 26 after lake Ann
Right on 20
Right on 169
Left on 21 by Chico's Place
Right on 8 some curves, little traffic
Left on 18
Right on 25 north, turns into 11 through Breezy Point
Left on Buschman Rd turn at curve
Left on 16
Right on 371
Right on 44 if supplies needed in Pine River pick up 84
Right on 43 or take twisty route to Division St right on 43
Shack is across the road of house with #458 on small blue sign
Should have the COG banner up late afternoon.
Sprayed for mosquitos last weekend, hopefully it's still effective after the rain.

I was worried, but we did not get a lot of rain yesterday. If all goes good will hit the road around 9:00 AM, be up there around 5:00 PM. Not bringing any cheese, but do have some fresh made venison jerky.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, kicking back around the fire with a few cold ones and talking about the Packers!

I don't know about the rest of you but I had a great time.  I rode over to Huntersville and then did the off road trails until 4:30 got home at 8:30 last night.
Thanks so much to Randy for hosting this event.

It was nice meeting everyone, my bike did not miss a beat on the way home.  My total miles for the weekend was 1150.

Thanks Randy!

LSGiant said:
I don't know about the rest of you but I had a great time.  I rode over to Huntersville and then did the off road trails until 4:30 got home at 8:30 last night.
Thanks so much to Randy for hosting this event.

I had great time as well.  I took the scenic route home and grabbed a couple GT stops.

Kim sent me a PM to let me know that his fuel problem resolved itself and he made it home with no issue. 

Thanks to Randy for hosting. 

Glad to have you all up here, great group, roads and weather. Decided to stay a few more days, finished putting the roof on the new addition, next year there will be a hot shower.