• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bafflectomy

Johnnybee

Big Wheel
Hey everyone, thought I would share my experience with the bafflectomy. I used a 1 inch hole cutter with a 18 in extension.
The compression braking is the same, sounds much better, and a noticeable difference in 5th and 6th.  All in all, it helped.  ;D

Several years ago, I did a dyno run to compare stock vs Baffelectomied Mufflers.

The baffelectomy slightly gained both torque and hp. 
More importantly,, it smoothed out the torque curve and increased mid range.
All of this for a total cost of $0!!

Steve did GREAT when he figured this out.

Ride safe, Ted

Has anyone carefully measured before and after fuel consumption for this mod ?
This bike has plenty of power for me.  My interest is in making a little more noise for safety reasons and possible saving a bit of gas.

Ira said:
This bike has plenty of power for me.  My interest is in making a little more noise for safety reasons and possible saving a bit of gas.
There is very little noise difference.

In theory, it could save a slight amount of gas. But so can doing 63 mph instead of 65.

It's free to do the operation, why not?

[opinion] If I were all that concerned about fuel usage, I would get me a little gutless bike. [/opinion]

Hmmm...

I've always been a big advocate of stock exhaust, as aftermarket exhausts frequently affect driveability, and they annoy the heck out of others.  We motorcyclists need all the good PR we can get, and running around with a loud obnoxious exhaust pipe certainly doesn't help further that cause.

However, it sounds as if this mod has neither of those downsides, and in fact may make the bike
more enjoyable to ride.  One question before I get out my hole saw and make an irreversible mod;

How much louder than stock are the modified pipes?  Does this mod just give the exhaust a deeper bass sound, or will it be much louder and annoy my neighbors every time I take out my bike?  I live in a condominium complex, so I have a lot of folks who could potentially complain.

I did the mod to my '02.  The only time I notice a difference in sound is when I am grabbing a hand full of throttle.

DonH_NH said:
Hmmm...

I've always been a big advocate of stock exhaust, as aftermarket exhausts frequently affect driveability, and they annoy the heck out of others.  We motorcyclists need all the good PR we can get, and running around with a loud obnoxious exhaust pipe certainly doesn't help further that cause.

However, it sounds as if this mod has neither of those downsides, and in fact may make the bike
more enjoyable to ride.  One question before I get out my hole saw and make an irreversible mod;

How much louder than stock are the modified pipes?  Does this mod just give the exhaust a deeper bass sound, or will it be much louder and annoy my neighbors every time I take out my bike?  I live in a condominium complex, so I have a lot of folks who could potentially complain.

I did this with a 1-1/8 hole saw if I remember correctly.  It barely fit in the hole.  Something about BFH and rebar doesn't set well with me.  The bike sounds great at idle or running around the neighborhood, but I was a little surprised at the volume when I grab a handful of throttle, much louder.  You might start off with a 1/2 hole and go up from there.  I didn't notice any performance advantage but I did it due to reports of reduced buzz.  I can't say for sure it reduced buzz either.  Sometimes I don't notice improvements until I go back to the original configuration.                     

SteveJ. said:
Ira said:
There is very little noise difference.

In theory, it could save a slight amount of gas. But so can doing 63 mph instead of 65.

It's free to do the operation, why not?

[opinion] If I were all that concerned about fuel usage, I would get me a little gutless bike. [/opinion]

I really like everything about this bike but using more fuel just to make noise or gain a minuscule amount of added HP that I don't care about seems silly to me.  If there is no effect on MPG good or bad I think I'll go ahead and dig out the 1 inch hole saw.

DonH_NH said:
Hmmm...

Don....curious...what kind of drivability affects have you experienced?  I've ridden some of my bikes with aftermarket pipes and some without.  I've not had any driveability problems.  perhaps our definitions of that differ?

BrianD said:
I did the mod to my '02.  The only time I notice a difference in sound is when I am grabbing a hand full of throttle.

Pretty much this and the difference is not great, at least with a 3/4" hole. I dunno where the dyno charts are, but they show about a 5% gain +/- throughout the rpm range. Not huge, but the return on the $$ is excellent.

We did mine and a few others early on when this first started up, in the rear parking lot of a Waffle House with SiSF looking on and participating.

My '02 has had the bafflectomy performed by the prior owner, the '05 has not been yet. There is a bit of difference in sound at low speed operation, but not much. As mentioned, grab a handful and it has a little more seriousness sound to it.
So anyways, I see some are using a hole saw w/extension (obviously) and others are punching thru. When I get ready to puncture the baffle what's the up/downside side of either method? Only one layer to go thru or how far is needed??
I searched for the "how-to" thread, but never found it, I'm assuming it goes back into archives date.

I finally did mine a month or two ago with a 1" hole saw (because it was tons cheaper than the 1 1/8" saw).

Overall at idle it's a hair more grumble, but all up in the throttle provides a satisfying amount more of grumble.  It's not obnoxious, but certainly satisfying.  I do notice a bit more exhaust pop on deceleration though, but this may be due to the fact that I also have blockoff plates installed and the unburned gas isn't getting spent in the way it should.

Even though I spent $15-20 on getting the right saw and extension, I figured it's still one of the cheapest farkles I've done.  Well worth it in my opinion if you want just...a little bit more.

I did the Bafflectomy several years ago.  People still comment on how quiet my bike is.  (People that are too over-exposed to noisy aftermarket v-twin exhausts, anyway.)

I used a step drill on an extension because I couldn't find an inexpensive metal-cutting hole saw.  The step drill fit nicely down the end of the exhaust and made quick work of the baffle.  It's a quick and easy enough mod that I've offered to throw my cordless drill, extension, and step drill into my bike for Meet & Greets if someone wants it done.  No takers so far. 

Did the deed using a 1 inch hole saw on an extension. 

I'd call it the genuine 2 min. mod.  Less than 60 seconds per can. 
Managed to trump up some errands I had to run and took Kawazilla out to see the results. Initial impression is that for a basically free mod that is so quick and easy it is almost silly not to do it.
On start up and riding out of the neighbourhood I could hardly tell any difference in noise level with a slight change in note. 
What I did notice right away was slightly more throttle response and pull, especially starting off in first gear.
Found my favourite back road straightaway and opened it up.  At WOT there is a little more noise but I was actually a little disappointed at how quiet it still was.  I was not disappointed to notice a slight but obvious increase in power.  The bike also maintains highway speed with a pinch less throttle which I am hoping will translate to a bit more MPG......If I can make myself stop romping on it.  :D

Totally sold on this mod and can't think of any reason not to do it.  That said,  I can't see myself doing this with a hunk of rebar.  Don't be a freaking cheapskate. Go to ACE hardware and buy the darn hole saw and extension for a whopping 20 bucks and do a nice tidy job of it. 

The one thing that holds me back from doing this is that it could facilitate corrosion in the exhaust cans compared to not touching it.

Any occurence of those exhaust cans rusting from the inside somewhat too soon ? Bafflectomised or not ?

If I get this correctly: one inserts the hole saw in the outlet hole at the back end of the exhaust cans until a solid wall is encountered and then proceeds to knock a ~1" in it ?

I'll find the necessary hardware in the meantime ...

Luc

myrddin said:
The one thing that holds me back from doing this is that it could facilitate corrosion in the exhaust cans compared to not touching it.

Any occurence of those exhaust cans rusting from the inside somewhat too soon ? Bafflectomised or not ?

If I get this correctly: one inserts the hole saw in the outlet hole at the back end of the exhaust cans until a solid wall is encountered and then proceeds to knock a ~1" in it ?

I'll find the necessary hardware in the meantime ...
Luc

That is how I did it.

Seems to me like this would allow any residual moisture in the cans at shutdown to evaporate out more easily if corrosion is even an issue.

Ye HA!  Kawazilla turned 20,000 on my test ride today!  :)

If anyone wants to do this "Mod".  I have to hole saw bit and extension ready to ship for free.  All I ask is that you clean it and ship it back to me in the same condition you received it. :great:

The holesaw method is a much cleaner than the pipe. It took 5 seconds on each can with a hardened cutter to do the job,

did I mention that it is a bit smoother thoughout the entire rpm range.  :)

Don,  When I did mine, mi wife didn't want me to do it because of noise. After I did it, she didn't notice any difference. There is, just not much. I do believe the bike is running better. I do agree that the more throttle, the more difference in sound - I like it.

As for "working your way up in size" starting with a small hole, you may want to re-think that.
When I did mine, the hole saw has a drill bit ti stabilize the hole saw, about 1/4" or so. When the hole saw is done doing its job, the drill bit in the center holds on to the 1" slug you just created, and you simply pull it out with the hole saw. If you work your way up, it will be more difficult to stabilize the hole saw, and the slug may drop off inside the muffler. Probably easy to get out by removing the muffler, but it changes it from a 10 minute mod, to a 30 minute mod.

Jorge

If you are using a step bit, not a problem. Self centering at any size, and no slug.

Step bit:
31X%2BxUJAkCL._AA160_.jpg

Tele130,

I'd be happy to take you up on your offer. Yesterday I looked at both Home Depot and True Value and neither had the combo of saw and extender required. I did a bafflectomy with my previous bike, a Honda 750 Nighthawk, and the performance improvement was very noticeable. No loss of MPG either.

Thanks,

Raymond

Totally sold on this mod and can't think of any reason not to do it. That said,  I can't see myself doing this with a hunk of rebar.  Don't be a freaking cheapskate. Go to ACE hardware and buy the darn hole saw and extension for a whopping 20 bucks and do a nice tidy job of it.

Hey now. Nothing says sophistication like beating on a hunk of rebar in the Waffle House parking lot.

Yeehaw!

[quote author=SteveJ Hey now. Nothing says sophistication like beating on a hunk of rebar in the Waffle House parking lot.
Yeehaw![/quote]

I wish we had a Waffle House................................road trip!

Buddy said:
Tele130,

I'd be happy to take you up on your offer. Yesterday I looked at both Home Depot and True Value and neither had the combo of saw and extender required. I did a bafflectomy with my previous bike, a Honda 750 Nighthawk, and the performance improvement was very noticeable. No loss of MPG either.

Thanks,

Raymond

Hey Raymond. PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

OK, I'm convinced that I should do it.  Tele130; would you mind if Raymond ships the saw and extension to me after he's done with it?  I would then send it back to you (or possibly on to the next COG member who wants it).  I could envision the possibility of these tools racking up some serious mileage!  ;D

DonH_NH said:
OK, I'm convinced that I should do it.  Tele130; would you mind if Raymond ships the saw and extension to me after he's done with it?  I would then send it back to you (or possibly on to the next COG member who wants it).  I could envision the possibility of these tools racking up some serious mileage!  ;D

You bet. And if someone else wants to use it, you can send it to them and so on.

I just ran some searches to see what people have thought about this mod, over the years...  I got almost no hits back.  Is there a magic search key I need to use, or is this a "recently" recommended mod?

This mod has been around for a long time. I for one am a believer in it. Even though I don't have any "Dyno Stats" on it. But you should know, I came off a ZRX1100 to the Connie. And I'm about to buy a ZRX1200R as a stable mate for the Connie.

Ok guys,
  I mailed the hole saw and extension out to Raymond this afternoon.  Looks like DonH_NH is next to receive it and then DonH will send it to Sport Rider.

Enjoy guys :great:

Not only do I like the new sound, have done so on four C10's. OK, Dan B did my fourth!
I get complements from riders and non riders. That are a bit jealous compared to the hundreds spent on after market mufflers.
The ZGRX has a more throaty sound in addition!

I did my first of four C10's years ago. Louder? No. A healthier sounding bike? Yes. All of the bikes have reacted a little differently. All of them felt smoother. Worth the effort, certainly. The one thing that I noticed about the last two bikes is that the never exhibited the short run bulge in the mufflers. That is the bulge that occurs when you ride the bike for short distances and it never cooks the moisture out of the cans. Older bikes show signs of this and eventually rot thru. My ride to work is short and it accounted for the rot in two or more bikes. My 2 cents.

Thank you, Tele130, I will confirm receipt, and then confirm delivery on to the next practitioner.

Got Kawazilla out on a decent ride today including a little time on the big slab. 
A little more of all the good things.  Smoother, more zip, more low end torque, nicer note.  Even shaved a little weight.  :)

VERY happy with the results of this mod! 

Ira,

That is great to hear. I'm finally excited about doing the procedure! I've been waivering for a year now....

My Honda CB750, also an in-line 4, of course, responded extremely well to a comparable procedure. I have seen one or two older threads that state MPG improves by a couple miles per gallon. I hope so, I consistently average 38.5, and 42 and a fraction when I do the speed limit.

Thanks again to Tele130 for his initiative and generosity.

Raymond

What is old is new again!  ;)

I hope y'all have better luck sharing the bafflectomy tool than I did... I started the same program back in 05, and sent my very sophisticated piece of sharpened rebar for a trip around the country. Unfortunately somewhere around the 4th person, I think it became a tomato stake  :-[ .

What' y'all are doing is popping through a very thin baffle wall about 1 ft into the rear muffler. The baffle is designed to spread more of the exhaust noise out through the packing and back into the perforated exhaust pipe. Because of the multi-chamber construction on the zg mufflers, it works well to free up flow and not become obnoxiously loud. Unfortunately, not all mufflers are the same; I bafflectomized my zx9 muffler when I first built my header, and it was a dismal failure, noise wise. I'm now running a titanium zx12 muffler, 6 # and very quiet. Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Unfortunately, not all mufflers are the same; I bafflectomized my zx9 muffler when I first built my header, and it was a dismal failure, noise wise.

Hi Steve,

Does this mean it was considerably louder than you wanted it to be, or that it had no effect at all?

I've just about convinced myself to do this, but if there's a chance that the bike is going to get really loud, I think I'll chicken out.  I wouldn't mind it being a little louder, but not a lot louder.

flivver said:
Hi Steve,

Does this mean it was considerably louder than you wanted it to be, or that it had no effect at all?

Both, a dismal failure, and because the baffle plate is so far inside the muffler, non reversable. keep in mind this was a zx9 miffler, NOT a c-10 muffler. Trust me, you will not dislike a bafflectomized c-10 muffler at all. Steve

flivver said:
Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Unfortunately, not all mufflers are the same; I bafflectomized my zx9 muffler when I first built my header, and it was a dismal failure, noise wise.

Hi Steve,

I've just about convinced myself to do this, but if there's a chance that the bike is going to get really loud, I think I'll chicken out.  I wouldn't mind it being a little louder, but not a lot louder.

If you are worried about noise don't be.  I was actually hoping for a little more noise (but not to much) for safety reasons and the lack of additional noise is my only disappointment.  Barely noticeable increase at WOT if you are really romping on it but, Slight change in note the rest of the time with about the same volume. 

Sport Rider said:
DonH_NH said:
Hmmm...

SportRider;

Don....curious...what kind of drivability affects have you experienced?  I've ridden some of my bikes with aftermarket pipes and some without.  I've not had any driveability problems.  perhaps our definitions of that differ?

I'm dating myself (sounds kinky!) but back when I was into the early GSXRs and FZRs I found that whenever I put on an aftermarket exhaust, I would experience a wide variety of fuel-related ills. These included stumbling at low RPMs, surging, etc.  These problems would often persist even after installing the so-called "correct" DynoJet kit. 

Sometimes the kits would help, but then fuel mileage would drop a good 20%.

Maybe the newer bikes (my Conc is a 2002) aren't as sensitive to exhaust changes?

DonH_NH said:
I'm dating myself (sounds kinky!) but back when I was into the early GSXRs and FZRs I found that whenever I put on an aftermarket exhaust, I would experience a wide variety of fuel-related ills. These included stumbling at low RPMs, surging, etc.  These problems would often persist even after installing the so-called "correct" DynoJet kit. 

Sometimes the kits would help, but then fuel mileage would drop a good 20%.

Maybe the newer bikes (my Conc is a 2002) aren't as sensitive to exhaust changes?

It takes some tuning to get it right any time you create that much of a change in back pressure. From what it seems there is not that significant of a backpressure change by doing this mod. A few trips to the dyno and and the bikes can be tuned very well for the new, Higher RPM you have now opened the bike up to run in. It is not a trivial task to get it right and requires carb removal several times to dial it in. The last couple of bike I have done I go over and get them dynod for 40 bucks. The ducati only took the carbs coming off twice to dial it in. That is compared to 6 times or so off to get my last Gixxer right with the full Yosh exhaust, between the plug chops and midrange runs. It did pull like a freight train when it was done though(without a hit to the fuel mileage).

Y'all are seriously overthinking this. Wev'e BTDT. The bafflectomy, even aftermarket mufflers, don't change the flow enough to warrant any jet changes, and yes, I did do all the dyno work, and riding with a WBO2 sensor. Trust me, there won't be anywhere near an issue with jetting. The bike will run a little bit crisper, but it's so slight it falls within standard deviation on dyno runs. Steve

Yeah, Steve, I wasn't speaking about the Connie. It sounds like there is little, if any, effect to the backpressure. Not enough to require jet change.

I was speaking to the statements that no big exhaust can run well. It can run as well as it is tuned. It will make more HP as long as some other component is not holding it back. It will move the power band to a higher RPM that may or may not be usable with the bike you are installing the exhaust on. If tuned correctly the mileage change will only be related to running at that higher RPM where the engine now makes power.

I'm convinced. Went to the hardware store this afternoon and bought a 1 1/8" hole saw.  Didn't have the extension though so I'll have to shop around for that.  I'm thinking I may not have to spend $400 on that aftermarket exhaust I wanted so bad.  My only complaint about my Connie is that it's just too damn quiet.  My only complaint. I bought my C-10 in July and the more I ride it the more I like it.  It's like the perfect motorcycle.  (Except it's too quiet)

As far as re-jetting is concerned.............I put a Yoshi muffler on my '07 ZZR and it runs great. No carburetor adjustments, and it sounds wonderful !    :)

Dan LT 73 said:
I'm convinced. Went to the hardware store this afternoon and bought a 1 1/8" hole saw.  Didn't have the extension though so I'll have to shop around for that.  I'm thinking I may not have to spend $400 on that aftermarket exhaust I wanted so bad.  My only complaint about my Connie is that it's just too damn quiet.  My only complaint. I bought my C-10 in July and the more I ride it the more I like it.  It's like the perfect motorcycle.  (Except it's too quiet)

As far as re-jetting is concerned.............I put a Yoshi muffler on my '07 ZZR and it runs great. No carburetor adjustments, and it sounds wonderful !    :)

My thoughts exactly, I just needed some audible feedback from the engine. I did the 1'' hole saw on an extension this summer, and I really like the little bit of extra 'bark' now. And when winding up to almost exactly 7K RPM, you get a lovely howl. But passing people is still quiet, you don't piss off the whole neighborhood in the morning. I haven't heard a quiet harley in years anyway -
:)

Thank you for posting those videos Tele130.  As others have testified, I can now see (or rather, hear) the subtle difference.  It seems like the bike has a slightly deeper, more bass-ey sound to it, with just a hint of raspy-ness.

I like it, and am looking forward to doing mine!

I did mine last night... just in time for the rain to start. :-(  I wasn't able to go ride it last night, nor will I be able to ride it today because it's still raining.  I mean, I *could* ride it, but I try to avoid rain for a variety of reasons.

I noticed a small difference in the sound, but nothing earth shattering -- which is good. :)

Of course, the whole process was a comedy of errors.  I borrowed a hole saw from my neighbor, only to discover that he was missing the arbor.  I found my extension rod, so went off to the store to get a hole saw.  Came home, and discovered that my extension rod must have been for some other purpose entirely, because it didn't fit the bit (and wasn't even the right shape).  Went back to the store and bought an extension...  Drove home and discovered that it didn't fit the hole saw, either!  Cobbled things together with a socket and some duct tape, and finally got it all done.  What should have taken 10 minutes took me an hour and half, though.  Yeesh. :)

Hopefully, I can ride 'er tomorrow.

Since so much of this conversation os about making the exhaust louder, I'll add this. Changing the cam timing on the exhaust side noticeably changes exhaust note. With the ex cam advanced or a longer duration cam with the same LC, the exhaust is noticeably more "growly". Ex cams with shorter duration are noticeably quieter. The reason is the opening point of the Ex valves; longer duration or advancing the cam opens the valves sooner, and the cylinder pressure waves are stronger / louder. HTH, Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Since so much of this conversation os about making the exhaust louder, I'll add this. Changing the cam timing on the exhaust side noticeably changes exhaust note. With the ex cam advanced or a longer duration cam with the same LC, the exhaust is noticeably more "growly". Ex cams with shorter duration are noticeably quieter. The reason is the opening point of the Ex valves; longer duration or advancing the cam opens the valves sooner, and the cylinder pressure waves are stronger / louder. HTH, Steve

Morning Steve :beerchug:,
And that's why I'm ordering your exhaust cam mod this winter........well?, one reason >:D.

So SISF is saying a bike with the exhaust sprocket or exhaust cam mod and the bafflectomy will be a bit louder than a stock bike with the baffelectomy??
Humm, may wait before I do the baffelectomy to the '05. The baffelectomied '02 is just about right, but not sure I want the '05 any bolder than that. Can't go back. Unless I buy the '06 that I've found, those would be a set of virgin mufflers to revert back to. Hmmm....

it's not earth shattering, but if you're tuned in you'll notice it.

since my shop tends to be "connie central" for the local guys, I can hear a c-10 coming down the road before it gets here. Well, except for the bikes without a bafflectomy and  with torque cams... they sneak in the driveway before I hear them coming.  ;) Steve

ALCON,

I completed the procedure and the instruments will go out tomorrow to DonH....

A short run through my local twisties on the bafflectomized machine was as I expected it would be and as has been reported by others. Nothing really noticeable noise-wise up to 4k, every so slightly louder on normal throttling from 4k to around 6k, a nice deep roar at 6k and above on hard acceleration in lower gear. Slightly more backfire on high rpm deceleration. Oh, and I was wearing a faceless helmet.

Seemed smoother on acceleration throughout to me. Probably a placebo effect. I look forward to a long run to see if MPG changes.

Raymond

Peering into my C10's mufflers I see evidence of a baffelectomy...that could be the reason it is a 50 mpg motorcycle... :beerchug:

Buddy said:
Seemed smoother on acceleration throughout to me. Probably a placebo effect. I look forward to a long run to see if MPG changes.

I got to ride mine today for the first time post-bafflectomy, and concur with this (and the rest, too, actually).  Might just seem that way because I want it to, but the bike did seems a bit smoother on acceleration.

Buddy said:
ALCON,

I completed the procedure and the instruments will go out tomorrow to DonH....

A short run through my local twisties on the bafflectomized machine was as I expected it would be and as has been reported by others. Nothing really noticeable noise-wise up to 4k, every so slightly louder on normal throttling from 4k to around 6k, a nice deep roar at 6k and above on hard acceleration in lower gear. Slightly more backfire on high rpm deceleration. Oh, and I was wearing a faceless helmet.

Raymond

Glad to hear it Raymond :great:.  I notice mine even in sixth gear on the freeway when I get into a bit to pass someone...................but that doesn't happen too often since I'm always in the far left lane anyhow :)).

CRocker said:
Peering into my C10's mufflers I see evidence of a baffelectomy...that could be the reason it is a 50 mpg motorcycle... :beerchug:

Nope!..........Your just going too slow :rotflmao:.

I don't know what you guys are doing to the bikes to get 45-50 mpg on them but please let me know I'm barley getting 35 mpg on a bike with only 45k on the clock and is bone stock except for the baffle mod

Tele130 said:
CRocker said:

Nope!..........Your just going too slow :rotflmao:.

Yeah...besides what Matt said...a few of our roads here DO have corners...and, you really DO want to stay on the road!  :nananana:

Dfresh...I just ride mine in a sane manner...it does have a K&N air filter and the baffelectomy...don't know of anything else...my previous C10 was a 44 mpg bike...

Matt that was a true story esp. When I ride with you lol but yeah I am one for full throttle unless the daughter is in the back  :nananana: how does the saying go? Drive it like ya stole it

mattchewn said:
Doug,
You got to ride a lot slower and easier than you do to see anything north of 30MPG!!  :)
Matt

Hey Matt!!!!!  Long time buddy ;).
  On our trip to the National she pulled 42.59 MPG (according to the GPS) :great:.  It's the around town riding that she's only getting 33-35 MPG.

Hmmm...I wonder if it's just that the air is thinner up here (I live at 6600' elevation)...so there's less wind resistance...? :rotflmao:

Okay, having put about 40 miles on it now, all I can say is WOW. The bike is definitely smoother now, beyond a doubt. I used to be right at 60 MPH when in 6th at 4k RPMs. Now, I'm hitting 65 MPH under the same conditions. This is the most impactful thing I've done to my bike to date. I'm sorry I waited so long!

So, let me get this straight... in sixth gear, at 4k rpm, was 60mph, now 65? That's quite a bafflectomy you did!  :))

Try it without mufflers, maybe you'll get 70mph.  :-\

John,
You may be walking in circles from how hard Willy just pulled your leg.
The ratio of speed to engine RPM never changes. You may have pumped up the rear tire, or your front may be a little low  on air pressure, but bafflelectomy won't change the ratio.
Might want to check air pressure in tires to male sure both are where they should be.
Bittomo line - bafflelectomy is a good thing :great:
Jorge

Alright, alright...  Clearly, the visual was a placebo effect (on me, anyway, as somebody whose non-mechanical brain doesn't immediately see the folly in what it thinks it sees).  The bike is smoother, regardless.  I'm still glad I did it, even if I'm not glad that I told y'all about my impression of it.  ;D

WillyP said:
Hope you are not offended, if so I apologize, I just couldn't resist.  :'(

It's all good, sir!  Saying stupid things and getting corrected is one way to learn.  Maybe someday I'll find a less embarrassing route to enlightenment. :)

Flivver,,, don't worry about it.
We all say something occasionally that our "BUDDIES" use to pick on us.
Happens to all of us.

besides, It's a family thing here. If we're not picking on one another, something is wrong....

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Guys and Gals,

So let me offer some defense to flivver on this one. Of course there is no ratio change to the gearing, however what I think he was trying to express I have experienced myself recently putting on an old set of Cobra F1 mufflers.

Maybe it is just in our heads but seems like the same normal amount of twist to the throttle is yielding a little higher RPM and Speed. While I would say it is slight and not 5 mph difference at 60 it sure seems noticeable maybe just taking a little less fuel ratio to yield the same/more RPMs. Again maybe just this tank of fuel but I just went over 210 miles without hitting the reserve and I didn't put in any more fuel than I normally do, just where it starts to hit the neck while on the side stand. I usually got about 185 miles, it was kind of weird since I know I was playing with the throttle a lot more with the loud pipes. It was a combo of riding about 100 miles of back roads, and the rest doing my commute to work which is way more stop than go it seems like to me with only an 8 mile drive taking 30 minutes or so.

Anyway maybe I am all wrong here and shouldn't be trying to put words in others mouths, but I would have to agree with flivver that an exhaust change makes it feel different, and seems to translate to real changes. Never tried the bafflectomy personally but bet it is similar to my experience, but not as loud...:)

People often stumble a bit trying to articulate that elusive, overall feel and quality known as "drivability" or in our case "rideability."

OK Steve
I see what you mean, just read the other thread. Well I guess I am lucky to have started as a guy with tools in my hand before a became a computer head to save what was left of my back...Us computer geeks get things screwed up from staring at all those digits going back and forth.

Easy to try to over think this stuff.

I like reading about others experiences, but nothing like the trying something to tell the real story. I am not much on the whole caring about the specifics or actual facts of RPMs and HP, too much thinking for me. I like the idea of lets bolt that engine out of the dirt track race car into this old Camaro and see if we can make it go straight. The idea of if it scares you or gives you a rush a little more when you twist the throttle hard, then increase in fun has been achieved.

Oh yea lets not forget these bikes really don't cost too much and they are fun to work on. So ride em like you stole em, have as much fun as you can without hurting yourself. I would hate to think that the thrill is gone.

You are supposed to be smiling when you finish a ride so don't get so serious about the numbers would be my opinion.

I don't know about the RPMs but, after a couple of trips to multiple hardware stores, I have performed the operation on my mufflers.  It's running good if not better, and it has a pleasing sound but,I gotta tell ya..............I would have liked a little more volume.  Maybe I've been spoiled by my ZZR with the Yoshi' slip on. It sounds like an F1 car. Of  course I'm responsible about it. I never rev it past 12,000 RPM in the neighborhood.  Really.    :great:

Buddy said:
ALCON,

... Nothing really noticeable noise-wise up to 4k, every so slightly louder on normal throttling from 4k to around 6k, a nice deep roar at 6k and above on hard acceleration in lower gear. Slightly more backfire on high rpm deceleration ...

Raymond

I did mine and pretty well concur with everyone else regarding sound. I also get the occasional slight backfire as described by Raymond. Anyone else notice this?

OK, so done it ... took more time to get the tools together than to actually do the job ...

Wasn't sure I liked the sound at first but I must admit that I can now hear the engine "note" thru the wind noise in all conditions which happens to be a very nice engine monitoring tool ...

Thumbs up for COG forum (not the first one as far as I'm concerned !)

Luc

stevedap said:
Buddy said:
ALCON,

... Nothing really noticeable noise-wise up to 4k, every so slightly louder on normal throttling from 4k to around 6k, a nice deep roar at 6k and above on hard acceleration in lower gear. Slightly more backfire on high rpm deceleration ...

Raymond

I did mine and pretty well concur with everyone else regarding sound. I also get the occasional slight backfire as described by Raymond. Anyone else notice this?

No backfire or popping at all.
Just curious,  I went with a 1in. hole saw.  Did you go 1-1/8?

Buddy said:
No backfire or popping at all.
Just curious,  I went with a 1in. hole saw.  Did you go 1-1/8?

I also went with 1".  I'm very happy with the result despite the occasional pop.   

I think I remember somewhere reading the pop was a combination of unburned fuel and enough oxygen to ignite.

Maybe some combo of the way carbs, valves and emissions are working together for some that get pop and obviously different setup for those that don't.

One of those smart guys from Florida can probably put it in scientific terms for us.

I think I was reading that in a post about altering the emissions.

It makes sense if the reeds are blocked off that it would pop a bit,  probably even without a baffelectomy.  Maybe the baffelectomy just makes it more noticable.
Also thinking if you still have the reeds in use and they are a little carboned up or any other part of the emissions system is not quite 100%  it could cause that.

Thought I'd check in and see where my tool combo is at the moment.  Who has it and who's next in line.  Just want to keep track of it.  Thanks. :beerchug:

OH CRAP!! I swore I was done with the mods to my bike. Now all I have to do is get a hole saw before winter sets in!!  :mad:

Got a couple hundred miles on Kawazilla since the bafflectomy mod and very pleased. 
The one single improvement in ridability that sticks out to me now is that the bike just seems to shift more smoothly going up through the gears.  In that very short moment after shifting when you add throttle and let out the clutch, the engine just seems to pull a bit more smoothly.
It is probably impressing me by taking the rough edges off of my sloppy shifting.  :D