• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bag lid stop straps, need to make or procure some

m in sc

Street Cruiser
So on the spare set of bags they have them, (the cloth ones with buttons that were riveted in) but the original set they are long gone. I need to do some massive reapirs on the spare set, but in the meantime, want to install some stop straps or the like to limit travel like the stockers. Curious to see what has been done on this by other members.

It's been a long time, but from memory:
I think I used nylon strap material, used a soldering iron to make holes (to prevent unraveling), drilled out the rivets, and replaced them with button head screws/flat washers/self locking nuts.

Ride safe, Ted

I used small guage plastic covered cable (1/16 in. thick?) to replace mine. Created loops using aluminum crimps like garage door cables use. Fastened it to the bags with stainless hardware using the same holes as the strap buttons (which were drilled out and removed).

Much more secure - no more saddle bags flopping open against the exhaust can, dumping contents when one of the OEM snaps lets go.

Interesting. Mine broke a couple years back. I got tired of wresting with it and took one of my ROK straps and looped it through the doodgiewhopper on the case and put the other end through the similar doohickie on the lid and tightened them to my liking.

Interesting. Mine broke a couple years back. I got tired of wresting with it and took one of my ROK straps and looped it through the doodgiewhopper on the case and put the other end through the similar doohickie on the lid and tightened them to my liking.
As my straps are worn out and I’m going to replace them with something.....I have to ask

1 what’s an ROK Strap?
If the answer to this question does provide not
Self evident clarity on how you attached it...
2 can you send a pic of the dooodguewhooper and the dooohickie?😁

Sorry so late ROK straps are available at most any mcycle store https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rok-straps-adjustable-straps

On each case there are molded in attachment points in the corners when you open the case. I attached the non stretchable portion of the ROK strap through the case on the bike and the elastic portion to the one on the case door then cinched it up to the same length as the one that was not broken and tied off so it would not change length. I will shoot a pic next time I am out in the barn.