• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Baker Built Air Wings

John_Atkinson

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

I have the OEM fairing extender kit but the BBAWs look like they would be great at getting air into the cockpit in hot weather.....

thanks in advance for any feedback,
JA

I’ve had Baker Air Wings on my ‘86 C10 since 1987.  I originally purchased them to increase the air-pocket behind the fairing and keep the air off of my girlfriend’s legs during cold weather - and they worked well for this purpose.  But they work even better in hot weather... just adjust the wings so they direct air to the rider’s legs.  In my book, Baker Air-Wings are a must have for the C-10. 

In addition to the air-wings which mount near the rider’s knees, Baker also made air wings that you could mount down by your feet.  They would replace the air-scoops that come standard on the C-10.  I didn’t have the lower Air-Wings because I felt the stock air-scoops did a good job, but my brother had them on his C-10 and he liked them. 

Hope this helps. 

Mark

MotoWojo said:
I’ve had Baker Air Wings on my ‘86 C10 since 1987.  I originally purchased them to increase the air-pocket behind the fairing and keep the air off of my girlfriend’s legs during cold weather - and they worked well for this purpose.  But they work even better in hot weather... just adjust the wings so they direct air to the rider’s legs.  In my book, Baker Air-Wings are a must have for the C-10. 

In addition to the air-wings which mount near the rider’s knees, Baker also made air wings that you could mount down by your feet.  They would replace the air-scoops that come standard on the C-10.  I didn’t have the lower Air-Wings because I felt the stock air-scoops did a good job, but my brother had them on his C-10 and he liked them. 

Hope this helps. 

Mark

thanks Mark, I really appreciate the feedback. Can you tell me -- are these the lower wings you're referring to?

https://bakerbuiltairwings.com/proddetail.php?prod=LCONAW

Also, as far as installation, do the BBAWs bolt righ onto existing fairing holes, or is there any drilling required?

thanks again,
JA

Those are the lower wings Mark referenced. Had them both on my C10's. They bolt right into where the lower scoops bolt in.
Interesting fact, the panels for the uppers and lowers are the same size. Just brackets are different between upper and lower.

For the uppers, they provide a template for the holes in the inner fairing. I self engineered and 'cheated' the mount holes higher than recommended by the template to maximize getting air to the upper torso.

One thing to keep in mind, in my observation here in muggy Florida when it gets really hot.
When it is  90+ and 90% humidity, its 'hot' air you air pulling in, buuuut, you are getting air flow directed to you.
Of course, at extreme temps, my riding was early morning or later evening for recreational purposes. I also rode my bike to work daily, so at 4-4:30 in the afternoon, it was what it was.

For winter, the wings combined with the fairing extenders really kept you out of the cold blast :)
I did modify the fairing extenders to allow keeping the the lower air wings installed, here in Fl it can be freezing in the morning, then 70 by afternoon. Just my 2 cents

HTH

Yep have had the Baker Wings on four C10's. Makes a difference in hot weather.
Add the lower fuel tank heat shields to double that!

thanks Mark, I really appreciate the feedback. Can you tell me -- are these the lower wings you're referring to?

https://bakerbuiltairwings.com/proddetail.php?prod=LCONAW

Also, as far as installation, do the BBAWs bolt righ onto existing fairing holes, or is there any drilling required?

thanks again,
JA

Yes, those are the lower wings I was referring to.  With regards to the upper wings, Vic mentioned that Baker now provides a template for mounting.  That may be, but on my ‘86 I was able to use an existing hole on each side, which meant I had to drill one hole on each side.  Baker didn’t have a template at the time as my bike was Baker’s first Concours application. 

HTH

Mark

I just ordered some of the upper wings and recieved the lowers . They are sending me the correct ones now . Be sure to specify which ones you want when ordering . The lady who contacted me said they had not sold any for the c10 in a long time and that was probably the reason for the mistake . Looking at them I may just keep the lowers too . They seem well made .

The PO had them on my bike but they didn't come with it. I put some on in the location they had been. I wish they were mounted a little higher on the side panels to get more air to the chest area. It hits on the knee and upper thigh area now. They also block the access to my highway pegs so I only can get to the end of the pegs.

danodemotoman said:
Yep have had the Baker Wings on four C10's. Makes a difference in hot weather.
Add the lower fuel tank heat shields to double that!
Dan, not wanting to sound dense, but what " lower fuel tank heat shields" are you referring to?

JA

Can't remember the member that came up with those.  He's talking about some molded shields that covered up the area where the carbs sit.  Someone posted that they used some vinyl or something to cover that area instead of the molded ones.  The idea is that hot air can't come out and roast you.

One member made nicer shields but AFAIK no longer available.
Before that I used ribbed vinyl like used on a hallway sourced from Home Depot.
Here is a link to my SmugMug account you can view what i did.
I had some questions concerning trapping heat around the carbs. I had no issues concerning this.

https://danodemotoman.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Concours-mods/Heat-shield-mat/