• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Baldwin Motorbike Saddles FREE Shipping Until Nov 30th

Been looking at these saddles since this prior post of yours.  http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,29270.0.html  This is a great looking seat.  Ready to pull the trigger now 'cause the sale price is pretty impressive but...

The stock seat has a pretty severe forward lean which is great in the twisties with stock bars (Sport), not so great in Kansas with risers and wedges (Touring).  The Sargent seat has a less severe forward lean but it's still noticable.  The Corbin, and I believe the RDL, is flat, flat, flat.  Where does you seat fall in the scale of flat to stock?  (I'd prefer touring flatish to slight lean)

When you make the seat, can you move the rider position back an inch or two?

I would presume the seat will lower the rider some just by virtue of carving out some butt space.  Is there a way to maintain or even raise ride height?

Think that's it.  Thanks.

The seat shape will be flat fore and aft down the center with rise to the outside edges to provide support to the hips. 

With cutting out the forward slope the rear of the slope is removed and seat height referenced from the front.

I can increase seat height by up to 1"  and move you back some too if that is what you need. 

My .02  This might be a great seat.  But in my opinion its a big might.  I looked at the price and it looks like its as much or more than Russell Day Long.  I would guess that the satisfaction with Russell is at or above 90%.  I would vote for the Russell as there is a thread on here for those interested in a group buy.  I'm just saying though.  To each his own.

FWIW, I do not know or have ever met Loren. But I was messing with Loren when he was building that seat in the picture.
I asked if his last name was Russell. (because of the wings on the seat have a slight Russell look) But I think Loren's seat looks great.
I know that Russell has a decent following. But I have also heard quite a few negatives about Russell saddles.
I've sat on a few Russell (from people about my size), and haven't sat on one yet that actually fit me right or felt comfortable to me.
I always feel crowded on Russell seats. But to be fair, they weren't made for my exact specifications.
But I must say that a few guys I have heard of have purchased a Baldwin saddle from Loren.
Every person that I have heard from raved about the seats comfort and quality.
And unlike the Russell seats. The Baldwin seat actually looks decent. I would consider a Baldwin if I was in the market, where as I would not buy a Russell.

PS  I pulled the trigger.  :nananana:

Thanks to the generousity of a friend, I tried a Russell and wasn't entirely pleased.  Granted that it wasn't 'designed' for me and not withstanding the riders thrilled with them.  No disputing that they're expensive unless you can get in on a group buy.  From what I've read, the customer service seems a little 'conservative'.

This is what caught my attention about the Baldwin saddles - Loren is a COGger, he lives in the heartland, his seats have been mentioned now and again for a while kinda like a hidden gem, now he has a seat designed for HIS C14 that looks really good (though function is more important to me than looks), and customer service up to this point has been stellar.  The sales price was the final straw.  (Psst - I'm so excited!!) :motonoises:

I don't care if the Russell has little mechanical fingers that massage my arse when I ride, I'm not putting a tractor seat on my bike.  Of all the custom seats I've seen, I like the looks of the Baldwin best.  Baldwin Saddles has a pretty high satisfaction rate too, if you go by the positive reviews I've seen here and on other forums.  I'd been leaning towardss a Sargent but not any more.  Now I just have to justify the cost of heating it.... >:D

Bruce_Reafsnider_TN said:
Now I just have to justify the cost of heating it.... >:D
An unexpected 50F or less, an hour or more from home, in light gear seems to be plenty of justification.  Or a cold rain.  Just sayin'...
:))

BJ, Thanks for pulling the trigger! 

Having some warmth coming into your bum can be a very good thing.  I have been very pro heated riding gear for years and I still am.  The down side is you have to plan for a temp change and wear it or have packed it.  Like heated grips the seat is always on the bike ready for those unexpected temperature swings.

As a Russell owner I'm going to throw in my 2 cents here. I've owned my Russell for 1 year/20,000 mi. now, I do like it alot & have no regrets for buying it (unlike my previous Corbin) as it is a great seat. I have bragged on it many times & on this forum. But I had the chance to meet Loren & sit on his bike with his personal seat, he is my size so the seat was a match & it felt/looked great. Looks where much much better & comfort seemed to be better, so with that brief experince my next seat will be a Baldwin! Not to mention he just seemed like a great guy to buy a seat from, I can't see his customer service being anything but first class.

^-^ Loren

Cliff

Ok, Am I missing something, I click the link and the sale prices not listed?, and can I had heat?

Loren, I just started pitching the wife for the first time last night, showed her the picture...... You're going to get me in trouble, " all you think about is that motorcycle" " I think your in some kind of mid life crisis" "how much money do you have to spend on that thing" "you're inpulsive" "what if I spent money like that"...................

Yea, 28 years of marriage, she'll get over it.... ;-)

Da,,,,,,,, It appears I can't read dates today!! 3 day sale was the end of "last" month!!!

^-^ Cliff!!

Looks like Zman needs our help in his time of crisis!!

Well…Zman as we all know wives are always right!  So you’re in a mid-life crisis what are we going to do about this.  Heck this is serious…it is even affecting your vision.  Your wife will have to help you with that one, but until then maybe I can help you with your motorbike farkles pitching skills. 

For example you could say to her.  “Darlin’ I was looking at ways to make you more comfortable on the Concours.  I came across a guy on the COG forum that made a custom seat to fit his wife and it even has heating elements in the seat so she is warm and comfortable on their rides together.  I was thinking about getting you one of his seats so you would be warm and comfortable if and when you ride with me” 

See this was not about you, and not about your ridiculous motorbike.  This was all about her and her comfort because you love her. 

An example using the safety angle because we all know motorcycles can be dangerous.

“Darlin’ I was looking at ways to make the Concours safer for when we rider together.  There is a Swedish company that makes motorcycle shock absorbers.  Did you know Volvo’s are made in Sweden and everyone knows how Volvos are safe?  Anyhow this Swedish company, Ohlins makes shock absorbers that will make the Concours more stable and safer for us to ride.  It will also maneuver better for avoiding dangers on the roads.  Plus they will make the ride very comfortable for you when we are riding together.

See it is all about being safe and her comfort. I’m sure with 28 years invested in training you she would like to keep you safe and not have to start all over again training a new husband.  See you are thinking of her welfare.

So start practicing farkles pitching on the dog and then get back in the game. 

Loren, I have took your suggestions to heart, how could I have gotten so far off my game? Thank-you for the inspiration.... The better half is signed up to a new seat as a Christmas present...... Even after I explained the 170.00 credit card charge to ceramic coat the header pipe last week!!  :))

Zman, Good to hear you are back at your A game.  It is good to hear that you finally had the header ceramic coated for her comfort too.  You have to be one of the most thoughtful husbands to ever ride a motorcycle.  ;)

Well, I couldn't resist. Ordered a two-up (just need to hire a new passenger) in leather, heated (both). Really looking forward to getting it in mid-March, just in time to really start getting broken in.

:beerchug:

Got my seat today, thanks Loren. It looks really good, and looks like it will be quite comfortable.

I'll have some pictures around mid-April, once I get the bike buttoned back up. The cruise control is done, so I'm just putting in the battery lines for the Stebel and back to the back for when I fabricate the passenger's heat control pod.

So maybe before mid-April, lol.

Privateer said:
Got my seat today, thanks Loren. It looks really good, and looks like it will be quite comfortable.

I'll have some pictures around mid-April, once I get the bike buttoned back up. The cruise control is done, so I'm just putting in the battery lines for the Stebel and back to the back for when I fabricate the passenger's heat control pod.

So maybe before mid-April, lol.

Looking forward to the mid-April pics based on your posts it looks like your building quite a ride....

next up for me will be the seat....  :-\