• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battery for the Cocours

jeritter21608394

Today was eventful, KOing the battery via leaving the bike ON, and Killswitch active, woops. Good thing I had a jumper battery.

Anyway, is it safe to pull the battery from the bike for a overnight charge/tender? I'm in a apartment with no easy/smooth way to get the bike onto a tender, and, I haven't gotten another adapter to put on to use my CK on it, aside from clamps.

Give those grounds a good cleaning while your at it..prolly the #1 problem, but super easy fix, for the C14

That I did. I didn't have any proper cleaner but still wire rushed the terminal heads, no oxi on either ground or where ground connects to frame. Going to hit up the autoshops see if I can find some terminal protectant, I've used some before on the Venture when it was using God aweful actual WET CELL, worked great.

ERRR I did the same thing. Except I'm not sure when I left the key switched on. Put it on a tender over night....no joy. The tender said it was still charging but would only rattle the starter solenoid. Next day I cleaned all the connections with a small flap brush on a Dremel. I hooked everything back up but put alligator clips directly on the battery post. I had to go the the Legion Post and sit through a party. We do this so things don't get wrecked on the building. I came home about 4 hours later. Although it was still trickle charging I had enough juice to start the bike. This morning I found the trickle charger was on float." Bike started easily and voltage rad 14.5 on the dash.

I let the bike rest awhile while I went to a Meeting with Breakfast. Switched the bike on and the volt gauge read 12.5. I went with a friend to do some running around doing errands. Came back several hours later, switched the bike on and it read 12.4. Tomorrow I'll take the 09 out for a good run and see what the battery does. I'm thinking a new one isn't too far off. We'll see.

Looks like I'm gonna do the same thing. Mine--based on the mfd--read 12.2 so I'm looking at new batteries... Has anyone used Deka in theirs? ETX14? I'm still looking if it will properly fit (seriously not fond of standard moto battery posts)

Today was eventful, KOing the battery via leaving the bike ON, and Killswitch active, woops. Good thing I had a jumper battery.

Anyway, is it safe to pull the battery from the bike for a overnight charge/tender? I'm in a apartment with no easy/smooth way to get the bike onto a tender, and, I haven't gotten another adapter to put on to use my CK on it, aside from clamps.
Been there done that. I have used the car battery with the car turned off. It worked perfectly. I have read if you boost it like a car, (the car with the good battery is running) you will regret it. Not sure if it is true but when I need to boost the bike I looked it up and that's what I found. If anyone has knowledge of this I would certainly like to hear it. By the way the bike started instantly. I let it sit for a bit, took it for a drive and the rest is history.