• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bay Area 4th of July ride Livermore to Mt Hamilton, NOW WITH PICS

Love to Brent. But I would probably have to leave right now to get there on time.  :)  (actually I mean it. I would like to ride out that way) Maybe some day.

Brent,

I'm interested, depending on where/ when you meet up and where you go.  My preference would be something more south, but something north could work for me, too.  I think Manchester sounds nice, but would probably be too much of a haul for me in one day in the middle of week.  Bay Area locals may think otherwise.

Great idea!

Brent.. you really got to think this out...
You announced the ride 3 days ago and it's on a major holiday...

I thought it was great that you posted up your ride... and you did get one taker... got to start someplace...
You may find this hard to believe but even here in CT there have been rides/functions with only 1 or 2 participants.
I believe I recall a ride where only 1 person showed up and he couldn't even make the ride, the "host" made a ride report of his solo ride...

I do feel your pain... And I really wish there was more happening in your area. It just seems like that's an area with great riding!

I hear ya, plus people plan things for the fourth, I was just hoping they would be later in the evening. Seems like a perfect day to go for a ride.

I'm leaving on a northern California ride on 7-5 and returning 7-8, otherwise I'd be up for it. Manchester is a good destination for a ride, head up farther to Elk and have lunch at the Road House Cafe.

Dan

Come on, Brent, what did you expect? A holiday in the middle of the week just doesn't give people enough time.

Now there's been several get togethers in the last few weeks. You didn't come down to Linda's to meet Boomer and ride to Carmel; you didn't come up to Tahoe for the Truckee ride; did you at least make the wrench session in Sacto? (disclaimer: I couldn't, other responsibilities)

I used to host a ride called The Pinnacles Loop. From my place in San Jose it was a 300 mile loop, further for a lot of other riders. I did it for 6 or 7 years and usually had a good turn out. One year there were 20 folks who showed up. Another year there were only two.

My point is: you announce it, set a meeting place and maybe a destination (not always necessary) and then haul your butt to the meeting place at the appointed time. If people show.... great! If not, oh well, go for a ride anyways. (Yes, people don't always RSVP, believe it or not). All you did is ask for ideas. You have to be more proactive to get results.

And whinging about it doesn't help. Even when I didn't get a good turn out for a ride, I'd be on the website that day saying how great the ride was (not mentioning the poor turn out). Gotta prime the pump for next time.

As for me, due to current circumstances I'm really having a hard time planning anything that far in advance.

Ok, we are booked. Ride meet up is at Livermore, CA Dennys at 8:30 am.
We are riding Mines to Mt Hamilton. Should be a great ride.
If we are meeting up at 8:30, I expect KSU to be around 10am.

Looking forward to it, Brent.  It looks like it will be a great day, maybe a little hot, but should have a great view from up on the mountain.  If you've never ridden up to Hamilton, now is your chance!

If I wasn't going to be using that day to get ready for our 4 day ride up into Oregon, I'd be there.

Dan

Brent - I might be able to make it. The project I'm working on seems to be ahead of schedule at this point, so that will give me the time. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I asked a couple of other guys if they could make it, but because they are self employed, they're working and can't get away.

Brent - where is the Denny's? I could probably find it (hehe) but it helps when organizing a ride to post details like this.  ;D

Jim,

It's at the intersection of N. Livermore Rd and Las Positas, just off of 580.  It's actually a Denny's Cafe, Denny's food without table service.

GF-in-CA said:
Jim,

It's at the intersection of N. Livermore Rd and Las Positas, just off of 580.  It's actually a Denny's Cafe, Denny's food without table service.

You have to make your own Grand Slam?!  :rotflmao:

This is the problem with print media, the humor (or sarcasm) doesn't come through. I know where it is, but I was trying to point out to Brent that details like the location of the meeting point need to be posted.

We had a great ride!  It was good to see everyone.  Here are a few pics:

A motley crew getting ready to ride after surviving Denny's

2431095840101812480S425x425Q85.jpg

Saddling up after a break at The Junction

2864160850101812480S425x425Q85.jpg

A quick break on the way up to admire the view

2651891480101812480S425x425Q85.jpg

Some shots at the top of the mountain, including the original Lick Observatory

2476779710101812480S425x425Q85.jpg
2184980320101812480S425x425Q85.jpg
2710931040101812480S425x425Q85.jpg

A great day to ride, with not many people on the road and warm but not too hot weather.  Thanks for hosting this, Brent.  :beerchug:

Woo Hoo!
What a great day.
I have about 2700 pics to upload.
If you don't believe me...

Just checked 2,153 including videos.
Had two go pros that were set for a pic per second half the way.

Yeah, that was a good ride, and it was good seeing you and Gary, and meeting James and Peter. It did start to get a little hot going down Mines Rd. And coming down from the Observatory, I got rattled by a couple of tar snakes. I gotta do something about my suspension, I was getting beat up and the bike wasn't stable. Alot of the video I shot has way too much vibration because of it.

Thanks for putting it together.

A few more pics to share.

GOPR0393.jpg

PICT0791.jpg

MY coworker James.

PICT0214.jpg

PICT0637.jpg

Must have gone over a bump as the Photo exposed, got some distortion.

IMG_2461.jpg

Almost to the top

IMG_2467.jpg

James Lick Observatory on top of Mt Hamilton.

IMG_2464.jpg

The view from above, now we have to go back down.