• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Beamtech LED C10 headlight bulb install - I Like It

Stasch

Starting a new thread so as not to unduly hijack the running lights thread at: https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/c10-driving-lights.53888/#post-655216

Question; Wouldn't it be better to replace the OEM Headlight with a LED bulb?

ie; The LED is a different spectrum/color of light and would pull less amperage.
Lower power needed for the head light would allow the 55 watt running lights.
The running lights would be used only when you want them, and would be different spectrum than the LED head light.
The 2 spectrums working together would make bambi stand out. (more contrast)

Ted, Funny you should ask - I just replaced the headlight bulb (Silverstar 55/60) with a Beamtech S1 H4 LED. $32 for a pair - the 2nd will go in the other C10.

C10 only uses one bulb at 25w per the specs. It puts out a nice bright white light. The high beam spread is narrower than the Silverstar halogen which has caused me to want to put the light bar back on to widen the field of vision to hopefully do exactly what you have said.

Here's the garage workshop comparo (don't mind the mess - I've been remodeling an entire house for over a year!)

I picked this bulb due to a thread a while back. Gotta love COG.

Tried to Houdini the bulb install and clip placement without removing anything, but it was impossible for me.

Needed to remove windshield, mid inner fairings and upper inner fairing to do it.

1_Old_SylvaniaSilverstar_55_60.JPG2_New_BeamTech_S1_H4.JPG

Last edited:
Great Stasch.....it appears the model you used are SOLD OUT!! So I'll keep using the flashlight that's zip tied on for a headlighto_O

Plus....they cost more NOW!

Last edited:
I'm a very firm believer in LED headlight bulbs. Have two on my C14 and one on Irene's Vulcan-S.
I posted about 7 years ago about my deer encounter
About 9:20, fully night between Daytona and Jacksonville. Riding ~55 on a state road when I see, far to my left, brown moving against a green fence row. Got my attention and I hit the brakes. Deer crossed from left side, and I hit it at 12-15 MPH (guessing speed, wasn't looking at speedo). Deer bounced off fairing, and ran off. I pulled over, no damage!
A halogen would have shown brown against brownish-green and it probably would not have attracted my attention as much.
The LED puts out 4x the light, also making it easier to see the deer.
With a halogen, that night would have ended differently.
All our cars & bikes have LEDs now, and motorhome ones are going on this week.
BTW...those LEDs on my C14 are still going fine after 28,000 miles.

The Beamtech that Stasch used has been around a long time. (Mebbe 10 years)
Many other designs are available now, but the design of that particular LED has worked well with the C-14's and the price was great. (2 for $32)
Not sure how many are using them in the C-10's (??).

Guy Y installed a LED in his C-10 a while back.
I think that he may have removed it or changed to another LED because that LED didn't work well with the C-10 headlight reflector (??).
{Maybe he'll see this discussion and post his findings}.

NOTE: I just pulled up Stasch's original posting on Amazon and the Beamtech "is" still available and still costs the same.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Hea...597&sprefix=beamtech+s1+h4+led,aps,178&sr=8-5

Ride safe, Ted

Update; I was wronggggg!

I did some searching and Guy did initially use the Beamtech "successfully" in his C-10.
He then tried another bulb (Auxito) as a test as he liked the design.

Post #40.

Somewhere, there is another discussion where a LED (brand unknown) was tried by him. (I think in his KLR) Didn't work well and was removed. Think it was a reflector issue. (My memory sux)

Last edited:
I've had the BeamTech in my C10 for over a year now. It was plug and play and works great. This thread has lots of info on LEDs:

+1 on these BeamTechs. Great on the C10 & the Sherpa. I even have them in some Hella sealed beam replacement lenses on my old VW Cabriolet, and they're great too.

Down With Filaments!!