• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Beat the Heat Social

Grasshopper

Hi guys! Been looking at venues for the Beat the Heat rally. Our usual spot, Blueridge Motorcycle Campground, is not open due to last year's floods. I've been looking around and things are filling up quickly. I'm leaning towards the Creekside Lodge in Maggie Valley, the weekend of August 4-7. The prior weekend is booked.
creeksidelodge.com
Room rates start at $109 per night for 2 queen beds. The rooms have AC, mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Out back there is a couple of fire pits by the creek and there is a pool! Bikes are welcome.
Let me know what you think. I'm heading out of the country Wednesday morning. Sorry for the fire drill, but I'd like to try and get something figured out before I go.

Address
2716 Soco Road
Maggie Valley, NC 28751
Phone: (828) 926-1301
Toll Free: (800) 621-1260

Last edited by a moderator:
We're in.
There's also RV camping in the area if that's your thing.
Thanks!

Come on up to the Maggie Valley Creekside Lodge for Beat The Heat. This social will be held August 4 to August 7. Phone: 828-926-1301 If they don't pick-up, leave a message and they will call you back. Ask for the Concours Owners Group group rate.
Regular rooms $94
Creekside rooms, 2 Queens $114
Creekside rooms, 1 King plus Jacuzzi $119

There are fire pits by the creek, a must for any Southeast gathering! Check out the pictures at:

Creeksidelodge.com

Calendar invite coming soon.

On the work calendar, reservation made, plans in motion. Will sign up asap after it's on the COG calendar.

Sweet spot and in the heart of some very tasty roads.

Mike

Great to have you on board Mike! Ron is working on getting getting the invite posted on the calendar.

Last edited:
This has been submitted to the Events Coordinator for uploading to the calendar. No fee for this one, but you're on your own for food and lodging. Save your fee for gas and entry into the Wheels Through Time Museum which is just down the street.

Make your reservations early as Maggie Valley is a popular summer destination. We'll hang out at the hotel on Friday and Saturday evening and maybe find a place to mosey off for dinner Saturday night. See y'all there!!

Regrettably can’t make this one. ☹️

Days off for that time of year are unobtainium.
Even had a loan set up with Nine Knuckles Neil for gas…. (The mob has better interest rates than the credit card 😏)

I'm in! Registered and booked room just now. Should be riding in Thursday from Sumter National Forest, where I'll be camping and checking off another SC State Park or two on the way.

If anyone has reserved a room with two queens and would like a room mate to share the cost let me know. Non smoker. I've already registered for the event. I still have a couple of weeks to see if there are any offers before I'll have to reserve a room for myself. Thanks folks.

Slight change of plans: will be camping 7/31 -- 8/3 @ Dreher Island SP on Lake Murray north of Columbia, SC. Permit allows another tent and up to 5 more persons. Msg if interested; I'll probly be floating in the lake if you stop on the way...

Hey, I've got a roommate! First sight-unseen one since college.

I've been reading Strawboss' thread about books and put up a lengthy post. If anyone going to BTH wants a free book or two, let me know and I'll squeeze em in. Also still open is my offer for a camping spot at Lake Murray on the way up. I can't wait to try out my new camping cot.

I was in Maggie Valley last week. Great area!
The N.E. gang will be in Marlinton Wv. Aug18-21, staying at the Marlinton Motor Inn. You're all invited to join us.
tks,
jason

I was in Maggie Valley last week. Great area!
The N.E. gang will be in Marlinton Wv. Aug18-21, staying at the Marlinton Motor Inn. You're all invited to join us.
tks,
jason

A couple of us have been thinking about that. We need to do a little cross area participation. Thanks for the invite.
Ron

(Oops - I forgot my manners- everyone is invited to our thing, too”).

Last edited:
A couple of us have been thinking about that. We need to do a little cross area participation. Thanks for the invite.
Ron

(Oops - I forgot my manners- everyone is invited to our thing, too”).
Yes we do. I did one up in Marietta Ohio Memorial Day with limited participation for the N.C. guys.
jason

Thinking of running up there
It hurts me that I can't make this one. But I'll be in Nashville for the Indy car street race. My son is treating me to a 3-day pass and a downtown hotel. Not a bad alternative to BTH, but I will be hot. I always enjoy riding with Phil.

I'm planning on Marlington.

Looks like they have grills and picnic tables at the motel so we will bring up some cooking utensils, camp stove and pots and such. If we want to do dinner one or a couple nights we can chip in and go to the grocery store and get dinner. Just throwing it out there so we don't have to go out for dinner every night.

Weather is looking good for the weekend. Only 10% chance of rain in Maggie Valley except for Friday when there’s 20%.
I have some routes that can share once I get up there. Can’t promise they are perfect since I built them from maps and without much local knowledge.

I understand that Maggie Valley is a nice place for a motorcycle event. Wouldn't know, since I've not actually been to one there....😉

Have registered for what I'm told is the last room in the block for COG! Great job in getting the turnout, folks!

Last edited:
Excellent gathering. Let it be known that Western North Carolina has NO drought!! About 450 miles for me in three days, to and fro, and around and on the Blue Ridge Parkway. 61 degrees starting out this morning for home.

Many, many thanks to Kurt Brown and the multiple sous chefs who prepared dinner for Friday and Saturday. Wow. Just wow!! Did we eat well or what?!

Also thanks to Phil Ilingworth who organized this gathering. Pro job!!

We had about 20 folks and I haven’t had such fun in a LONG time. We’re planning on doing it again next year.

Thank you all.
Ron

Likewise. Excellent weekend with friends. 588 miles, great location for a rally (thanks, Phil!), great food (Thanks to all that helped Kurt!), great riding (Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Parkway, TN 68 to Copperhill, (scored a growler at Bucking Goat Brewery!!), and GA 368 and GA136 to the house). Awesome mental break!

We had a great time! Made the 685-mile ride home in 10 1/2 hours. We would have welcomed some of that NC rain when we hit the heat in AR to cool things off a bit.

Big thanks to Phil for putting this together & Kurt for bringing all the cooking utensils not to mention doing the heavy lifting on the cooking.

Another good event in the books.

Excellent gathering. Let it be known that Western North Carolina has NO drought!! About 450 miles for me in three days, to and fro, and around and on the Blue Ridge Parkway. 61 degrees starting out this morning for home.

Many, many thanks to Kurt Brown and the multiple sous chefs who prepared dinner for Friday and Saturday. Wow. Just wow!! Did we eat well or what?!

Also thanks to Phil Ilingworth who organized this gathering. Pro job!!

We had about 20 folks and I haven’t had such fun in a LONG time. We’re planning on doing it again next year.

Thank you all.
Ron
Ron, send a PM with your cell number and I'll send you the pictures that I took.