• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Beavers Bend Ride to Camp

smithr

This was submitted by Bill Becktol the Oklahoma AAD.  (Thanks Bill)
Greetings
On September 16,17 and 18TH I plan to go camping in the Beavers Bend State Park.  I want to take this opportunity to invite you to join me. 

I plan to leave Fast Break Convenience Store at Highway 81 and OK 66 in El Reno,Oklahoma at 8AM.  This is a long ride to Southeastern Oklahoma, near the Arkansas line.  Beavers Bend is a beautiful park but more to our liking the roads are Crooked. 

I have not set a route with hopes to be joined by others on the way as it may be more convenient not to come to El Reno.  Plan to camp in the woods on Friday and Saturday night, and returning home on Sunday.  There is a lodge at the park if you prefer not to rough it. 

Like I said this is near Arkansas so any one on that side of the line would be welcome to join us.  It may even be a possible ride for some of you Texans.  Please register on the calender so I will have a clue who is going.  If you want to join us along the way contact me at 405_464.4361 or 1cogokaad @ sbcglobal.  net  to arrange a meeting place. 
Let's ride and camp and ride!!!
Thanks Bill 

Here is the link to the calendar entry.
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetailPublic2.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=151473&mo=9&tDate={d%20%272011-09-30%27}

Beavers Bend is in the Ouachita National Forest, on Broken Bow Lake.  It is in easy striking distance of Highway 1, the Talimena Senic Byway.  Us 269 is a good sweeper road to ride up on, to the middle of the bypass.  Left takes you deeper into Oklahoma, right into Arkansas.  Interesting sights are the Heavner Runestone,  carved before Columbus "discovered" America,  Ft.  Towson, last used to discharge Confererate troops at the end of the Civil War.  And of course ROADS, on both sides of the stateline.  Beavers Bend is close to Texas Arkansas and Louisana so take another closer look at this ride to camp.