• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Been wearing my Helite Turtle 2 airbag vest a few days now

Epeescott

I first thought about getting one of these years ago when I saw a San Pablo police officer go under a big rig in front of me on 80 westbound. Not sure if one would have saved his life, but it surely wouldn't have lessened his chances.

Finally got one. I did a test inflation (with video, lol) and it was impressive. Still have some motion of the head but not very much. I love that it has front and side protection as well as around the neck, and that the back protection extends to my tailbone.

Downside, it is a bit warmer. Not enough to be a problem at 85 degrees, probably will notice it more at 100F. It's also quite heavy, but not unbearable either.
I was worried that standing up or getting off without untethering from the bike would set it off, but no....It takes 60 pounds to pull it - you notice it before it goes off.

Two thumbs up!

I have the Hit-Air vest. It's the same thing, only different. ;) On the warmth issue, you get used to it. When it is 100F, it won't matter. If it's hot, it's hot all over.

I pulled into a rest stop in Wyoming a few years ago. No shade, except where a couple had parked their bikes. The wife mentioned they had cooling vests also, but those lasted only about 30 minutes in the 100+F heat. Mine lasted me about 2.5-3 hrs. The difference? We were all wearing mesh jackets, but I had my airbag vest on. It allowed air in...but not too much. At those temperatures, you want to limit the airflow, so the airbag is actually a benefit, not a problem.

Chris

I have the Hit-Air vest. It's the same thing, only different. ;) On the warmth issue, you get used to it. When it is 100F, it won't matter. If it's hot, it's hot all over.

I pulled into a rest stop in Wyoming a few years ago. No shade, except where a couple had parked their bikes. The wife mentioned they had cooling vests also, but those lasted only about 30 minutes in the 100+F heat. Mine lasted me about 2.5-3 hrs. The difference? We were all wearing mesh jackets, but I had my airbag vest on. It allowed air in...but not too much. At those temperatures, you want to limit the airflow, so the airbag is actually a benefit, not a problem.

Chris
I have a Techniche Phase Change Cooling vest for use under my arc flash suit at work - it is nice because the packs freeze in 30 minutes in your refrigerator (not the freezer) and stay cool for about 3 hours. The packs freeze at like 58 degrees so they aren't too cold against your skin at first.
I have thought about using it under my jacket.....never have. I would probably be pretty top heavy with that, my jacket, and my Helite.
I wear a Klim Induction mesh jacket.