• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best Seat for NO FORWARD SLIDING? Must read.

shredran

Hi All, before anyone says to check out other existing seat threads ( I know there are a lot), please note that I've already done that ;). Looking to start a new convo about the best seat options to not feel like you're sliding forward toward a nuts-in-tank scenario (for the guys at least haha). For context I have a Sargent seat (URL below) and in the pics, like many seats, it totally looks FLAT on the main butt-pad for the driver. But all of us know the way the connie is designed still tilts it perhaps a bit? Anyhow, I do have snakeskin  on my tanks to allow my legs to hug the tank and prevent sliding, but would be nice to NOT have to rely on that to avoid sliding. On highway cruises when I use my highway pegs my butt stays back and it's not an issue but again, don't wanna have to rely on that.

Are there any TRULY flat seats out there that still maintain comfort and a mainly fixed position? Mine is comfortable for the most part even on long rides but would love your perspectives.

Best,

Connor

I ride with a Corbin. When riding down a prolonged steep grade I need to grip the snake skins to prevent from sliding forward into the tank if I am wearing slick pants. I have never had an issue sliding forward while riding level.

You might look into a seat cushion like a Airhawk.  I will adjust mine as I ride to put more weight forward, or backwards to change where any pressure is.

That's a lot cheaper than a brand new seat.

Chris

If you are using the stock handlebars or even with risers, the bike is built sporty and it has you leaning forward. The key is to sit more upright and your Sargent should be fine. Get some Heilbars and that should do it. I have five inche risers on mine. They are four inch risers from Phil and an inch under the bars because I lowered the bike. I have no issuse with sliding into the tank. (Laam seat).

Never have understood the OEM mindset that makes seats with a forward angle, using foam that is way to soft leaving the rider sitting on the seat pan within 15 minutes of a ride.  They are the complete antithesis to ergonomics.

I have no direct experience with C14, but have a Russell Day Long on my C10 and have found it works the best for me after trying multiple seat solutions.  They even make them for KLR's.

From what I can see in their many pics of seats on various bike models, they all seem to have that 'tractor seat' shape:  contoured to the human body, and slanted towards the rear a bit.  Aaaaahhhh - comfy.

You can browse their gallery here:

https://day-long.com/gallery/

Thanks for the thoughts, all. I should’ve clarified that I already do also have Heli Bars on the bike too!

Corbin seat no movement problems but I have LSL bars which are a tad lower than stock,  I had a machine shop make risers for my set up but went back to stock, In my screwy mind a forward lean is the proper bike riding position :72:

I have a Kawasaki touring seat. It still has a little forward lean, back of seat a smidge higher then I like. But it does not cause the slide forward problem!

Before you condemn the seat I have a test for you to do. I'm suggesting it because my c14 came to me with a lamm seat that I initially did not like. It still seemed to push me into the tank. After several thousand miles still was uncomfortable but it occurred to me that the weight of my knees may have been rotating me forward. So I parked the bike on my patio where it was nice a level, grabbed 2 car jack stands and adjusted them to the peg height. Then I  placed them 10 inches in front of the foot pegs. With this set-up you can shift your foot position to find what's most comfortable for you.
What I discovered was my knees were indeed pulling me forward. Seat comfort increased remarkably and became quite comfortable. The point is the seat my be fine you just need highway pegs and now you already know where they need to be located for your specific needs. Plus it's a low cost test, win win!

Shredran said:
Thanks for the thoughts, all. I should’ve clarified that I already do also have Heli Bars on the bike too!

Thern it soulnds like the Sargent seat is too slippery. Try a sheepskin butt pad. That will end the sliding. (most likely). And maybe adjust your Helis a bit.

Maybe I can help save you some cash, I had a strong dislike for my stock seat, I won't use the "H" word. it should be illegal. Crap foam from hells motorcycle torture chamber and crap covering, burns after 30 minutes. Lots of slippery cheap vinyl and a nice slope to get you sliding. I don't care for any style/type of seat covering gel pads, balls, beads etc... as I don't want any possibility of movement at speed and prefer to sit as low in the saddle as possible. They are best suited for sofa glides.
  That said, I've tried several seats on my C14 and here's where I hope I can save you some cash on seat mistakes I've made.
*Corbin. The scooped out lower position is nice, although the limited covering options are slippery as well. Love the looks, hate the seat.
hard as a rock.
* Sargent. I liked this on other bikes, doesn't work for me on the Concours. (don't like the looks or feel)
*Kawasaki Touring. I loved It, a true believer. Nice quality foam I had a 12 hour day in the saddle which was not possible with the stock seat.
This seat also has fantastic covering like non skid, No slipping sliding at all. It does have the same slope of the stock seat and
  still sits you rather high on the bike. (no complaints on this seat) It was a winner for me.
*Seth Laam. This is what I settled on and it works well for me, quality foam like the Kawasaki Touring. Scooped out and I sit noticeably
  lower, flat footed with a slightly bent knee. Even though it's lower, your not sacrificing loss of foam comfort due to the quality of the foam.
  This is the best of both worlds for me, I chose it because of the lower position, extreme comfort, not sloped and eliminates the tailbone
  burn and what I view as extremely good looks. If I had not tried the Seth Laam, I would still be raving about the Kawasaki Touring.
Everyone you speak with will have different views although I've tried several and can give an honest comparison that will hopefully aid in making a better decision. One more note, the covering/fabric also plays a huge roll in eliminating sliding.

You can see how the rear slope is removed and scooped out, no tailbone riding and lower in the saddle. I'm 6" 240lb

Attachments

• IMG_20200222_090602890_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200222_090602890_MP.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 530
The problem I have experienced with seats that slope forward, yet aren't slippery, is they tend to cause uncomfortable garment binding (wedgie) over a longer ride, as you inevitable yield to gravity while your riding pants stay in place on the grippy seat surface.

I've got about 1200 miles now on a new custom made Russel Day Long.
The way mine has broken in is that there is a "pocket" that forms for your A$$, no sliding forward.
Mines all leather with the heavy guy option, at 775 not cheap, but very well made and I'm very glad I bought it.
Last week did 3 - 400+ mile loop rides and that is the best seat I've ever sat on for long days.
Custom made for my weight, inseam, etc.
Highly recommended, not cheap but the best never is.
Nick
2014 C 14

I have the Sargent low cut. Came on the bike at purchase. $120 worth of foam and pudgee from "sunmate" and a bit of trial and error should get momma and me comfortable as can be. Already got burned on a custom for my vmax.

Another vote for Laam.  He will consult with you before he starts your seat and you can let him know you want him to take out the slant and explain your preferred seating position.  He will create a seat that meets your personal needs.  I rode mine with a Laam seat round trip from Nebraska to Las Vegas twice, the first time as an iron butt.  Not saying it was Lazy Boy comfortable but I can't even imagine having tried it on the stock seat.  Plus my seat now has a butt warmer. BEST INVENTION EVER!

viffer_pilot said:
Another vote for Laam.  He will consult with you before he starts your seat and you can let him know you want him to take out the slant and explain your preferred seating position.  He will create a seat that meets your personal needs.  I rode mine with a Laam seat round trip from Nebraska to Las Vegas twice, the first time as an iron butt.  Not saying it was Lazy Boy comfortable but I can't even imagine having tried it on the stock seat.  Plus my seat now has a butt warmer. BEST INVENTION EVER!

I recently sent several emails to Laam about buying a seat that went unanswered so I am buying RDL. 

Russell DayLong for me all the way. I had one on my C14 but had to sell it in 2009 due to financial issues.
Hope to be getting another one soon. Also have one on my C10 and it's awesome.
On the C10 I have done an 1100 mile day solo and a couple of 600 miles days with a pillion with no butt problems.

I have had the OEM seat, the RDL, a Bagster seat, a local custom built seat, currently have a Corbin 2 piece, and none of them do it for me.
The custom seat I can do 200 miles on, but after that I want at least an hour off the bike.
I've yet to try a long run with the Corbin but suspect it won't make it to 200 miles.
So, it'll be another RDL later this year and then sell on the Corbin.

I reached out to Terry's Custom Seats this am, with interest ... to have him customize one for me. He's less a 100 mile bike trek for me.

Unfortunately, he's a one-man shop and he's booked until Nov. '20; really!

Too bad, but I reached out to Seth Laam (he answered phone) and I'm already on his exchange list program. If all goes well, I expect a custom seat from him within 2 mos.  :)

Maybe I can help save you some cash, I had a strong dislike for my stock seat, I won't use the "H" word. it should be illegal. Crap foam from hells motorcycle torture chamber and crap covering, burns after 30 minutes. Lots of slippery cheap vinyl and a nice slope to get you sliding. I don't care for any style/type of seat covering gel pads, balls, beads etc... as I don't want any possibility of movement at speed and prefer to sit as low in the saddle as possible. They are best suited for sofa glides.
That said, I've tried several seats on my C14 and here's where I hope I can save you some cash on seat mistakes I've made.
*Corbin. The scooped out lower position is nice, although the limited covering options are slippery as well. Love the looks, hate the seat.
hard as a rock.
* Sargent. I liked this on other bikes, doesn't work for me on the Concours. (don't like the looks or feel)
*Kawasaki Touring. I loved It, a true believer. Nice quality foam I had a 12 hour day in the saddle which was not possible with the stock seat.
This seat also has fantastic covering like non skid, No slipping sliding at all. It does have the same slope of the stock seat and
still sits you rather high on the bike. (no complaints on this seat) It was a winner for me.
*Seth Laam. This is what I settled on and it works well for me, quality foam like the Kawasaki Touring. Scooped out and I sit noticeably
lower, flat footed with a slightly bent knee. Even though it's lower, your not sacrificing loss of foam comfort due to the quality of the foam.
This is the best of both worlds for me, I chose it because of the lower position, extreme comfort, not sloped and eliminates the tailbone
burn and what I view as extremely good looks. If I had not tried the Seth Laam, I would still be raving about the Kawasaki Touring.
Everyone you speak with will have different views although I've tried several and can give an honest comparison that will hopefully aid in making a better decision. One more note, the covering/fabric also plays a huge roll in eliminating sliding.

You can see how the rear slope is removed and scooped out, no tailbone riding and lower in the saddle. I'm 6" 240lb
Great review!!! Thank you!