• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best shift points for a run at the dragstrip

smooth_operator

I know temperature and humidity will play a roll but what rpm is best to shift at for the quickest 1/4 mile time? I've heard anywhere from 7.5 to 9.5. What say you oh experienced track rats? :motonoises: :beerchug:

My rule of thumb is that you want your shift to drop you right at peak torque.  So if your peak torque is at 6500, that's where you want the shift to take you.  It can be different from gear to gear.  But if you drop to peak torque, then that's where you have the best pull.  This way, once you get off the line, you stay between peak torque and peak HP the whole run.  But it's still all about the first 60 ft.  Shift points are little helps compared to getting away clean and hard.

smooth_operator said:
Thanks Rev. Yeah the takeoff makes all the difference doesn't it? :motonoises: >:D
It's huge.  The first 60 ft. really determine the run's E.T. IMHO.  My best 60 ft. ever was .92 seconds which is crazy good (or was then anyway and that was a lifetime ago now).  I doubt I could do three or four times that 60 ft. on the bike. LOL  Of course the bike ain't THAT fast anyways.

At the drag strip, if you want to turn the best time, ignore trying to get the best reaction time. Cutting a good light will have no affect on the E.T. Relax and concentrate on the launch. Now, if you want to get to the finish line FIRST, reaction time is king. That can take some time to get good at. With our bikes the best launch usually involves slipping the clutch.... a lot. Unfortunately, that is not good for long term life of said clutch and also takes practice to get right. Once you get going, shifting at 9000 RPM will get you down the track pretty good. Let the track workers know if it's your first time, and they will usually help you with the basics. Don't get too wound up about your time slip, relax and have some fun. If it's you 100th time to the track..... ignore..... carry on.

Went one time last year TX, and did about 15 runs (my first time) what what a friggin blast!!!!! You get to go as fast as you can? and no cops to give you a ticket? don't get much better than that! I just really would like to nail a sub 11 sec run if possible. I've got all these farkles ready to mount up and I wont do it till I beat 11 in a run. I don't thinks that's asking too much. That'll be one more down on the bucket list. Thanks all for the info.

Mike,
    let me know the next time you take it out to Milan...  Maybe I could be coaxed into runnin' the Zed.. :-\      NOT!  don't get enough mileage with the rear tire as it is....  but.... it's always fun to watch everybody else take a quick trip down the strip! :great:

I took mine about 3 years ago for bike's and my first time.  What a blast.  Was curious what she could do bone stock with only antlers on.  (Left bags trackside for runs)  Best run was 12.5 @ 106.  Walked her out of the hole.  First pass was a 12.7 @78, second was 13.2 @ 98.  Guy running a bussa  8.7 @ 167 impressed at time I picked up on second pass, after I got the butterflies out a bit.  Ran about 8 passes between 12.5 and 12.8  Would have gained a lot more, giving her more throttle and less clutch at line, but didn't want her to stand up and wreck us both!!!

Mine runs the best ET and MPH shifting at 9500 .. My best so far ( 1/8 mile track )  6.51 @ 109 .. Got to get down to our 1/4 mile track and see what it runs there .. 6.50s in the 1/8  should be low to mid 10s @ about 132 to 134 MPH..