• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best SUMMER Touring Boots??

ghostrider990

Shopping around for a new set of SUMMER boots.

I'm not REMOTELY interested in anything that claims to be waterproof - as that simply means warmer than necessary.

I am looking for the most Protection along with the best Airflow and construction.  Price is no object.

It seems that very few are making Summer Airflow style boots with anything but synthetic materials (ie: no leather) and truly, the level of protection in these boots is VERY suspect.

I'm willing to forgoe airflow in favor of protection, but that is a narrow margin of delineation.

So, who's got a newer set of summer boots they wanna chat about that flows air and gives decent heal, ankle, and shin protection???

Shopping on Revzilla really only illicits a few brands, and they all look similarly constructed.

Currently my front runner is the Dainese Solarys boots.

Opinions and advice welcome.

gr

Attachments

• dainese_solarys_air_boots_black_750x750.jpg
    dainese_solarys_air_boots_black_750x750.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 122
  I bought a pair of the Dainese Solarys gore-tex version last year. These are the first pair of riding boots I've ever owned so not really anything to compare them to but, I really like them and like the protection they give me.  I wanted the waterproof but they do get warm on really hot days.  If the air Solarys are your front runner,  I don't think you will be disappointed.

I have a pair of the TCX airtech EVO Goretex boots.

They keep my feet dry, and there are panels that are close to the skin that provides some air relief.  You can really tell it in the cold weather, but not so much when it is hot.  Just hot air blowing over your boots.

I like them and will buy another pair when these wear out, I have had these about 3-5 years, can't remember when I got them though

tcx_airtech_evo_gore_tex_boots_black_750x750.jpg

Thanks guys.

i'm struggling with Venting vs. protection right now.

There's really no such animal that provides max venting, max protection, and functional comfort in a Touring Boot.
It's either SMX or Racing to get big protection, and Venting.

I'll keep processing.

gr

After reading ALOT of reviews and getting limited responses on two forums.....I went with Alpinestars SMX 6 v2 Vented boots.

Newer version of a tried and true boot, no waterproofing to restrict summer airflow, and protection just shy of Track Certified coverage.  Price wasn't bad either.

Attachments

• alpinestars_boot_smx6_v2_vnt_1800x1800.jpg
    alpinestars_boot_smx6_v2_vnt_1800x1800.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 122
:great:

Seems kind of Ironic that summer ventilated boots all come in BLACK base color, and some white variants.

Not really sure I'd want grey or silver boots, but you'd think there would be a reflective color option for a hot weather / sunny boot, right?  :-X

gr

Ghost man, I think the reason why black is the overwhelming color of boots and pants too is that they will get DIRTY and stains will more likely be seen, that's what I'm thinking. I've been searching for a lime green pair of Frogg-Togg pants like I had 15 years ago.

I've got Alpinestars that I've been wearing for about 10 years. In the summer, I use wicking sock liners made for backpacking and thin wool (yep wool) boot socks. Keeps my feet fairly dry and not too hot.

Strawboss said:
Ghost man, I think the reason why black is the overwhelming color of boots and pants too is that they will get DIRTY and stains will more likely be seen, that's what I'm thinking. I've been searching for a lime green pair of Frogg-Togg pants like I had 15 years ago.

Oh, I agree. 
And that's usually what KEEPS me from buying anything with color on it....jacket and pants included!  ;D

gr

ghostrider990 said:
Strawboss said:

Oh, I agree. 
And that's usually what KEEPS me from buying anything with color on it....jacket and pants included!  ;D

gr

Saw the Lime Green at Iron Pony in Columbus OH. recently.

GR, let us/me know what you think of these once you spend a hot day in them. 

I worry that venting like this will have the wrong outcome.  It is always hot near my boots both from ground heat and engine heat.  If you have vented boots on seems like you are just letting that heat in.  If it seems better than non vented though it will be much better when I can use the hwy pegs. 

I have a very narrow foot.  Do they seem wide or narrow to you?  I am a B width at best.  So far only Sidi seems to run narrow enouf for me on some.  I can't find anyplace to try them anymore.  Have to buy online.

smithr1 said:
GR, let us/me know what you think of these once you spend a hot day in them. 

I worry that venting like this will have the wrong outcome.  It is always hot near my boots both from ground heat and engine heat.  If you have vented boots on seems like you are just letting that heat in.  If it seems better than non vented though it will be much better when I can use the hwy pegs. 

I have a very narrow foot.  Do they seem wide or narrow to you?  I am a B width at best.  So far only Sidi seems to run narrow enouf for me on some.  I can't find anyplace to try them anymore.  Have to buy online.

I really don't see a way around the heat coming off the engine when feet are on the pegs.

I have Buck Highway pegs, so when i really want some air on my feet, I hang 'em out in the breeze!

I've made the mistake of wearing my SIDI Adventures on too hot a day, and suffered the consequences.  :-[
I'm not riding in a desert environment which requires "sealing-in my juices" attempting to stave-off evaporation.  I ride primarily in Humid summer conditions (during the warmer months) and have found that physical Air Flow is the best method to keep my core temp regulated.

And yes, my feet hanging out in the air stream really help ME in that regard.  I do have warm-sweaty feet, and this is what works for me.

I'll update my thoughts on the A* once I get some miles on them.  :beerchug:

gr

*I got the boots yesterday, and I have to say, I'm very impressed with the weight and overall build quality of these.  Very nice padding inside the boot with a plush, cushioned interior.
no idea how this will translate into cooling and airflow, but again - I'll report back.*

Quick review:

I had the chance to put 400 miles on the boots yesterday.
Started in 65 degf sunny weather, and moving up to 70degf, my feet were a little chilly with the airflow at highway speeds.  I wore a single pair of Wright Coolmax Polypropylene socks inside the boots.

The ambient temps rose to a high of 82, in mixed backroads and highway riding through the day.
I have worn cooler boots, but not with this much protection.  This was the first day ive ridden in "summer" temps, and I don't think my body is quite accustomed to it yet.  Everybody knows that 90degf makes 80degf feel like 70degf, when you're going ATGATT!  :rotflmao:
As the temps rose, the airflow to the inner boot became less and less obvious, which is typical.

I can say that these boots are EXTREMELY comfortable straight out of the box.  Protection is good for a vented boot, and the inner padding, and foot liner is extremely plush, well constructed, and finished.
My only real gripe, is I don't particularly care for the triple velcroe closure system on this boot.
The Racing boot (SMX-Plus) has a more simple single zipper with ratchet strap closure system, that id prefer - but that's a personal thing.

I did a little walking around off the bike, and never noticed I was wearing such a protective boot.
i can't think of a better compliment for such a protective set of dedicated mid-level boots.
The boots ARE a bit on the wider side in the toebox - so if you're not at least a D width, you're going to have a "roomy fit".  I personally LOVED the extra room.

I did notice the heat from the lower engine while I had my feet on the pegs, and when I shifted my feet to my highway pegs, i was able to get more airflow to the boot.  (obviously)

Overall, I'd give this boot 8 out of 10, for the minor gripes - but overall a good value for protection and fulfillng the role of this purpose built summer boot.

gr

I bought the latest version of the SIDI Adventure boot. The Gore-Tex keeps my feet dry rain or shine, which is good since I'm in Florida.

I just bought the Bates tall boots. They're on 60% sale right now. I've heard great things but they just arrived today so I don't know how they will be on the bike, but in the garage they are great.

First let me say that I'm a frugal shopper, yes cheap, so, this discussion sent me searching for riding boots. My first purchase was a big mistake used wellingtons on Ebay so narrow I could not get my foot in there without very thin socks and they killed my foot once on. So FAIL. Then I spotted a pair of BMW/Goretex in my size that were getting no bids at $39.99, I missed the deadline but messaged the seller and they agreed to repost them and end the sale after I bid. SCORE!! They arrived today and I just got back from my first ride with them. I have never owned a pair of Uggs but imagine they would feel like these boots, very happy camper. Black with zipper and velcro flap.