• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best Tank Bag

ZG/ZN Kim

First off, want to thank everyone who worked on the COG system upgrade. I am highly impressed it went so smoothly, and I was able to get logged on as easily as I did.

This is not intended to be a "oil thread", but I am actually in the market for a new tank bag. As my favorite bag lost it's zippers. To narrow the suggestions somewhat here are some specifications:
-Needs to be at least 20 liter.
-Needs map/direction window, needs to be at least 8" long x 4" wide
-Mounting system input is much appreciated, pros/cons I always had magnetic
-Needs to have several pocket areas, but not a menagerie of pockets where I cannot remember where I put anything
-$, I am a member COG, so somewhat frugal, unless it is truly a special unit
-Not requiring a rain cover would be great, not sure there is one out there?
-Let everyone know, why you feel it is the best tank bag out there right now
I searched for a previous thread on this subject, but could not find one. If you can find one post the link.
A good tank bag, is like a woman's favorite purse. I believe there will be many interested in the topic

I prefer the tank ring locking ones, like SW-Motech or Givi. I have the Givi XS307 XStream which is a 15 ltr bag, I believe they have a 20 ltr one as well. It has a window on top for a map, side pockets, cord pass thru and has an internal water proof liner as well as an external one. I have not used the eternal as I fell the internal will keep the contents dry.

The tank ring locking system works well, I have never had an issue with it coming off. They are easy to pop on and off when getting fuel. I feel the strapped ones are a pain and feel the magnetic ones can scratch your tank.

Givi and SW-Motech are not frugal but you may be able to pick them up cheaper used or on Ebay.

I second SW-Motech. I have the Quick Lock setup w/ power and have 2 bags. A small day pack and a larger tour bag. Purchased from Twisted Throttle.

I have what motocommuter has but the 20 liter version. I wish it had more pockets. I am really liking the quick lock system. I'll be able to give a more detailed review in a couple of weeks. If you know what I mean. Lol
It's pricey but I think it is still cheaper than a Coach purse.
Insert rofl emoji

First off, want to thank everyone who worked on the COG system upgrade. I am highly impressed it went so smoothly, and I was able to get logged on as easily as I did.

This is not intended to be a "oil thread", but I am actually in the market for a new tank bag. As my favorite bag lost it's zippers. To narrow the suggestions somewhat here are some specifications:
-Needs to be at least 20 liter. Almost
-Needs map/direction window, needs to be at least 8" long x 4" wide Yes
-Mounting system input is much appreciated, pros/cons I always had magnetic 8 magnets, strong, bag does not move
-Needs to have several pocket areas, but not a menagerie of pockets where I cannot remember where I put anything Yes
-$, I am a member COG, so somewhat frugal, unless it is truly a special unit
-Not requiring a rain cover would be great, not sure there is one out there? Comes with one
-Let everyone know, why you feel it is the best tank bag out there right now The best? I don't know. It works for me.
I searched for a previous thread on this subject, but could not find one. If you can find one post the link.
A good tank bag, is like a woman's favorite purse. I believe there will be many interested in the topic
I have the Cortech Super 2 18l magnetic tank bag

Having had strap, mag, and ring mount, I think the ring is a lot nicer to work with. You could swing back down to Stony Fork and get a better look at it. Tee hee.

I have a mag mount tank bag, small size (not a 20L) but capable of holding a map and enough small items like sunglasses, sunblock, wallet, food & drinks etc. It's a Chase Harper 450M model seen and bought here on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GRR4OC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

What I like about it is the small size where it can hold my food & water bottle plus enough small items that I don't want in the side cases or top case. Also being magnetic I don't have to fuss with more installation/removal hence making it easy to refill fuel with the keyless gas cap. No scratches on the tank and holds all that I need when all the other storage is filled up.

There are newer '20 models which I would look into as it can do more and get you the 20L requirement you're looking for. And they do make rain covers for the bags for an added bonus! :)

I have a Cortech magnet mount 12 liters then it unzips and goes to around 18liters holds quite a bit

I've been using a Roadgear medium and Eclipse large for many years. Both are magnetic and expandable when needed. They have been on a variety of bikes.

Off hand I cannot remember what size or brand mine is. It is two bags in one that can be together or used as medium and smaller bags. Mine was strap mount but I bought and installed magnets. What I really like about a magnetic bag is ease of fueling and the ability to shift it around on the tank.

This is a tough question, what Tank Bag is best.
I have 3 bikes and 3 bags. One bag is quite small, one medium and the one on my Connie can expand and get huge, magnetic base. There all good.
The large bag on my Connie is great for tours, I can put windproof jackets in there, different gloves, food and water and the kitchen sink if need be.
I think for multi day tours, bigger is better, all you stuff you need is right in front of you, easily accessible.
Nick
2014 C-14

I have a Givi XS308. It seems to be everything you are looking for in a tank bag. Expands to 20L. Multiple pockets for organizing things.

1601742705805.png
Unfortunately, Givi does not make it any longer. The next closest looks to be the Givi EA118. A little bigger at 25L, I believe.

1601742863486.png

Another less well-known tank bag is the Kappa line. It's like the lower cost equivalent to the Givi line. And it uses the same tank lock mechanism as the Givi products.

Kappa Tankbag RA311R

1601743789455.png

All are attached with tank lock rings.

Some thoughts on mounting.
  • Someone tried to steal my tank bag on my first night in California. But he didn't know how to undo the release for the tank lock ring, and it was there in the morning.
  • Having a tank lock attachment doesn't eliminate paint rubbing on the underside. I still had to put clear tape on the paint to protect it.
  • You can get a magnetic or strap type tank bag for about half the price.
  • Rare earth magnets work well to attach a magnetic tank bag to a plastic tank.
  • While the outside pockets are nice, you could do the same with small bags. Even ziploc bags would work, since you could see inside.
  • You want a rain cover.
Chris

Last edited:
For me on trips I use the Bagster affixed to my Tank Cover. Most days I have a smaller SW MoTech that uses the tank ring. I love the tank ring but the Tank Cover makes it a bit harder to slide on and off the ring.

Have the GIVI EA118 tank ring locking bag and it has been great. Just ordered a ring for the Connie, had it one my R1200Gs for several years earlier..