• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best Upgrades to Perform First

Best Upgrades to Perform First

• Flash

• Risers

• Seat

• Crash Bars

• Exhaust

• Radiator Guard

• Tires

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

IKnowYouRider

I know there are a ton of threads on each topic but interested in polling the group here for the latest recommendations.
Please vote and post your brand/type of mod you recommend.

Lol....

Id be negligent in asking how old, tall, and (gulp) weight you are to render a educated vote.

If your older than 50 and have short legs with a 200 lb frame, i would vote towards crash bars cuz you ARE gonna drop it sooner or later!

Protect that radiator..! Oem replacements are north of $700.

When i bought my 2010 (used) it came with a hard seat, risers, and a radiator gauge. My first upgrade was canyon cages. I was 55 when i got it. Im 5'10 31 inch inseam and 210 lbs. Piece of mind in case i drop her, (and i have) saved me big bucks not having to repair/replace plastic. Added benefit was a place to mount auxiliary lighring and highway pegs.

I then changed seats (several times) and imho if you plan on doing any long distance riding, go directly with a Russell day long...

Personally I've resisted the urge to flash, er get her flashed, cuz i like her just the way she is. Many many coggers have had them flashed and love the transformation.

Ive also gotten rid of my risers and gone with helibars. They are adjusted perfectly so i have no more neck pain or hand cramping..

It’s in the C-14 section so…

I’m tall so mine were:
1) bar risers
2) AST peg lowering brackets
3) flash
4) Baldwin seat and grip puppies
5) radiator guard
6) Tech Spec guards all around
7) rider floorboards after wife was ruined by the Goldwing 😂

As a follow-up to my earlier response, ride it a while and it will become clear what you want to change. You never know, it might be just fine as-is. You may adapt to some things you find problematic at first (savings!!!), while some items may linger and aggravate to the point you know it has to be fixed.

Good advice given about protecting your investment first. Once you have the "insurance" of crash bars, C10 overflow tubes etc., then you can ponder personalization changes.

Not sure which order to do your upgrades, but (hands down) the "BEST" upgrade I did on mine was having the bike Flashed.
I have the MRP and cold not be more pleased!

Ride safe, Ted

Depends on what the goals of the proposed upgrades are? Top speed? Mid-range grunt in the twisties? High efficiency, low drag two-up long hauling? Daily commuting? Pick your poison.

I concur with Ted's point about the MRP being a top upgrade. Best bang for the rather modest investment, particularly when paired with an open (baffle-less) slip-on that reduces a chunk of weight while letting the beast breath.

Second on my list would be bar risers, especially if you don't like being leaned forward all the time, plus grip puppies of one brand or another.

Third would be a quad-lock phone mount with vibration dampener and wireless charger.

Fourth is an LED lamp upgrade all around, but especially the main lamps.

After that it's all about what you're trying to accomplish or overcome. The options are fairly limitless.

My vote echoes support for a flash as #1. I have Ivan’s Performance a similarly to others that report MRP as outstanding I am pleased. Have experienced stock exhaust and the Full AreaP flash.

In the other category if riding 2-Up a stiffer spring or entire rear shock replacement is a must. Then something you don’t hear of much - I installed a Quickshifter from Healtech and both my wife and I love it. My wife has neck ailments and the Quickshifter revolutionizes shifting whereas there’s no longer a clutch pull or roll off of throttle and instead a seamless shift with no momentum interruption. If you ask me it was Flash, Shock, Quickshifter. My wife says it would be Shock, Quickshifter, Flash.

Really good point you bring up Wayne. Pillion can have a voice as well, sometimes more importantly (loudly) than the rider. The rear shock is something to explore for sure in the case of long rides.

I've taken to the clutchless shifting habit 2nd thru 6th gears, and even some clutchless downshifting during spirited riding. But, the beauty of the quickshifter is not having to rev match or throttle blip. So yeah that does sound interesting too.

From a pure Other / comfort category perspective, I'd like to add the cruise control. Not the throttle lock, which I already have, but an actual cruise control that maintains consistent speed rather than just squeezing the throttle in a fixed cable position.

Texas
I do some clutch less upshifting but I personally don't think clutchless downshifting is a good idea.
Just saying, I think that's TOO much of the trans to ask of it.
I may be wrong , but it would be a bummer to find out the hard way.
I am going to look into installing a Quickshifter from Healtech.
Does anyone know how this device works? How it helps match the revs or ?
If if works as 2 and Blue says it does sounds good.
Nick

I'm getting ready to install one on my dorsoduro. basically plug into your coil packs and into the ignition and when you up shift it take spark away for a split second to unload the transmission so you can shift with no clutch. it engages via a sensor or shifter linkage rod
here is a dorsoduro with the upgrade

Lol....

Id be negligent in asking how old, tall, and (gulp) weight you are to render a educated vote.

If your older than 50 and have short legs with a 200 lb frame, i would vote towards crash bars cuz you ARE gonna drop it sooner or later!

Protect that radiator..! Oem replacements are north of $700.

When i bought my 2010 (used) it came with a hard seat, risers, and a radiator gauge. My first upgrade was canyon cages. I was 55 when i got it. Im 5'10 31 inch inseam and 210 lbs. Piece of mind in case i drop her, (and i have) saved me big bucks not having to repair/replace plastic. Added benefit was a place to mount auxiliary lighring and highway pegs.

I then changed seats (several times) and imho if you plan on doing any long distance riding, go directly with a Russell day long...

Personally I've resisted the urge to flash, er get her flashed, cuz i like her just the way she is. Many many coggers have had them flashed and love the transformation.

Ive also gotten rid of my risers and gone with helibars. They are adjusted perfectly so i have no more neck pain or hand cramping..
I resisted getting a flash on my last bike. Decided to try it out on this one. I would highly recommend it. I did not know what to expect when I went on my first ride with the flashed ecu yesterday. This bike, in my opinion, is incredibly smooth stock. The first thing I noticed was how much more smoother it is now that it’s flashed. The throttle response is a drastic change for the better on a flashed ecu. The smoothness continues with the power delivery. I was unintentionally going much faster than I thought while riding. I used to get some buzziness at certain cruising rpm’s which is completely gone now. And I never thought the jerky/snatchy throttle was a problem on this bike until I tried it without. I was a skeptic on ecu flashing and now I am a believer.

Healtech QS utilizes a pressure sens
I'm getting ready to install one on my dorsoduro. basically plug into your coil packs and into the ignition and when you up shift it take spark away for a split second to unload the transmission so you can shift with no clutch. it engages via a sensor or shifter linkage rod
here is a dorsoduro with the upgrade
Maverick you’ll love it - Nick on the C-14 it’s a fun / game changer. I’ll share with you my settings, VERY easy to follow directions to adjust with an IPhone or Android.

The first upgrade that I had to do was tires. The ones on the bike when I picked up did not inspire much confidence in holding the road. The second was the cheap aftermarket no name seat, most uncomfortable seat I've ever had on any bike. My favorite non essential upgrade was the MRP flash, really woke the bike up, made it respond more in the way I was expecting. I was surprised by how much power Kawasaki left on the table to be tapped. I think the next upgrade was additional lighting. I live in a tourist town and you gotta make your self stand out in traffic here.

I chose radiator guard because if you spring a leak like I did on the very first day that you have the bike, you won't be happy. In other words, a new seat won't matter if you're not even riding the bike. :)

I went on Amazon to check out those Auxito bulbs. It said will not fit my 08 concours. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the tips on the LED bulbs. I have always been hesitant to install untested brands/models until others have tested in the specific headlight housing/reflector and verified the beam pattern is not garbage... unless it's made by a very reputable company ($$$) specifically for that application, and generally these companies would choose sell you a whole new housing for the most improvement.

I ordered both headlight and city Auxito bulbs from Amazon. I appreciate that they call out in pictures that the LED placement is the same as the filament in a halogen bulb. I installed these last night, and WOW they are bright! The beam pattern looks like it might bleed up just a tiny bit from the stock halogen H4 bulbs, but I'm less concerned about that on a motorcycle than I would be on a car. The color is nice too, not blue at all, just white.

My stance for motorcycles is that even if I'm annoying oncoming traffic a little bit, at least they can see me, and that's better than the alternative!

Thanks for the tips on the LED bulbs. I have always been hesitant to install untested brands/models until others have tested in the specific headlight housing/reflector and verified the beam pattern is not garbage... unless it's made by a very reputable company ($$$) specifically for that application, and generally these companies would choose sell you a whole new housing for the most improvement.

I ordered both headlight and city Auxito bulbs from Amazon. I appreciate that they call out in pictures that the LED placement is the same as the filament in a halogen bulb. I installed these last night, and WOW they are bright! The beam pattern looks like it might bleed up just a tiny bit from the stock halogen H4 bulbs, but I'm less concerned about that on a motorcycle than I would be on a car. The color is nice too, not blue at all, just white.

My stance for motorcycles is that even if I'm annoying oncoming traffic a little bit, at least they can see me, and that's better than the alternative!

Bingo! Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like them and recognize the value in a brighter bulb!

Be safe and have fun! AB

- Good tool kit for on the road
- Oil Filter Guard (I have put a hole in my oil filter from debris in the road)
- Radiator Guard (I have put a hole in my radiator from debris in the road...different from above)
- Tip Over Bars (Damaged plastics are expensive)
- Flash for sure if you can get it
- Seat, Cruise Control, and Heli Bars if you ride long distance
- Suspension if you are a spirited rider

My 2 cents.

- Good tool kit for on the road
- Oil Filter Guard (I have put a hole in my oil filter from debris in the road)
- Radiator Guard (I have put a hole in my radiator from debris in the road...different from above)
- Tip Over Bars (Damaged plastics are expensive)
- Flash for sure if you can get it
- Seat, Cruise Control, and Heli Bars if you ride long distance
- Suspension if you are a spirited rider

My 2 cents.
Riding today, I was thinking a heated seat would be pretty nice :coffee:

First, thanks for this thread! It's been a real help as I've just begun to address the few "issues" that I've noticed after the first 2500 miles on my first Concours.

• First thing that kind of bugged me was clunky shifting. Thought I had forgot how to shift after a year without a bike.
  • Then, last weekend I was able to find a decent twisties, with a few requiring pretty slow operation to get around. This is when I discovered the "fuel cutoff" behavior. Not a fan! Have never had a bike that wants to lurch like this.

After lurking on this site for a couple of weeks (and this thread), this is my initial plan.

• Area P full exhaust - was going to go with a slip on but looking for more heat reduction for the upcoming summer 155+ temps we've been seeing.
  • Steve's flash (pending a couple of phone calls)
  • Projekt D Radiator guard / fender extension - wouldn't have thought of this till to late :)
  • Led bulbs - decided after first night ride. Didn't help that lights were aimed WAY to low. Was outrunning them at 5 MPH. Quick adjust helped but still not so bright.

So far, ive done just a flash and the risers and I am really happy with the bike. I have no pressing urges to upgrade anything else but we'll see how I feel after full break-in.

I know a lot of people focus on the exhaust. Curious though if there are any potential changes to intake that could be made?

So far, ive done just a flash and the risers and I am really happy with the bike. I have no pressing urges to upgrade anything else but we'll see how I feel after full break-in.

I know a lot of people focus on the exhaust. Curious though if there are any potential changes to intake that could be made?

Steve & COGworld in general will likely confirm, not really any improvement on that end without a cost. High performance filters reduce the level of grit they filter, so while you get a little less resistance coming in there's also a bunch more unwanted particulate that enters and gunks things up where it's least helpful. Racing applications are not road applications.

Bar risers, tip over bars, Louder Horn, larger windscreen, LED lights, Electronic Cruise Control, seat cushion (russel seat if you can afford it), ram ball attach points, additional rear tail lights (to be seen is huge). IMHO these all have great benefits.

Ivan
Canadian Prairie Rider