• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bevel Drive

rain dancer

Probably a dumb question, but is the bevel drive the same for all years C10's? Looking at the part numbers, it looks like they changed at some time. Thanks for any help.

Great! Thanks so much.
A neighber gave a bevel drive from a Voyager he was parting out. Now, if I can get another bevel drive for the C10 I will aatempt to do a 7th gear mod for her. Asked Steve if he minded if I tried. He did warn me there will be machining involved...that's why I won't touch my good one! Thank you for the info.

Well, Steve should know.

I really, really hope you are successful in making it work. The "7th gear mod" is the BEST mod you can do, IMHO. Of course, I've never tried the fuel injection or turbo-charging, but for a simple bolt-on conversion, it's the cat's knickers. If coupled with Steve's torque cams or at least the cam timing rests, it will be a whole new bike.

I can agree with the cams and carbs! Did those first. The difference in riding on tight curvy roads was amazing. Bike just powered out of the turns.
As to fuel injection and turbo charging...I'll leave that to folks that are MUCH smarter than I am!

So are you looking for a donor C-10 bevel drive? I think mine is still kicking around the garage from when I did the 7th gear mod years ago. I’m open to offers.

Great! Thanks so much.
A neighber gave a bevel drive from a Voyager he was parting out. Now, if I can get another bevel drive for the C10 I will aatempt to do a 7th gear mod for her. Asked Steve if he minded if I tried. He did warn me there will be machining involved...that's why I won't touch my good one! Thank you for the info.
Let me know how you make out . if it works. Can you build two for me also I have 2 Connie's.

So are you looking for a donor C-10 bevel drive? I think mine is still kicking around the garage from when I did the 7th gear mod years ago. I’m open to offers.
Thanks, I surely to appriciate the offer. I have a line on one locally, that's why I wanted to make sure they were all interchangeable. If Fleetbob wants it, go for it. If my deal fall through, well, that's pretty normal for me!

Oh, Fleetbob, when I asked Steve if he minded me trying my hand at it, I told him I wouldn't go into business doing it if I managed to figure it out. I lucked out on getting the bevel drive from the voyager, that made this project easier.

Fleetbob,
In light of Rain Dancer’s last comment, are you still interested in the bevel drive? If so, message me and we can work out the details.

Rain Dancer
Let me know how you make out.
If you can do it
I need 2 done.
Unless you want to show me how to do it

Isn't the bevel drive gears from a different Kawasaki model switched into the C10 case? Can not our gears go into the cruiser 4 cylinder model for lower rpms as well. Seems I saw something about this on an Aussie webpage.

Rain Dancer
Let me know how you make out.
If you can do it
I need 2 done.
Unless you want to show me how to do it
It's not easy. It requires machining and knowing how to set up ring and pinion depth and backlash. Do it wrong, and it could lock the rear wheel. I experienced that back in the 80's on a suzuki GS1000G. 70 miles an hour with the rear wheel trying to come up next to you isn't fun.
I have given the specs to build the 7th gear unit to Guy Young. He is the only person I will share them with. Perhaps you can coax him out of retirement.
Steve

It's not easy. It requires machining and knowing how to set up ring and pinion depth and backlash. Do it wrong, and it could lock the rear wheel. I experienced that back in the 80's on a suzuki GS1000G. 70 miles an hour with the rear wheel trying to come up next to you isn't fun.
I have given the specs to build the 7th gear unit to Guy Young. He is the only person I will share them with. Perhaps you can coax him out of retirement.
Steve
You have his contact info ?

Thanks for comment Steve. So Guy Young are you thinking of restarting the availability this farkle?

I hope someone decides to make the 7th gear mod available again.
Im sure there are plenty of people who will buy it

If there were plenty of people willing to buy it, I'd still be building them. This is not an inexpensive modification. My price was 450.00, and all considered is a very fair price. The c-10 has grown old in the tooth, and folks just weren't willing to spend that kind of money. This isn't something that happened in the last year or 2 either, it has been at least 5 years back that sales had fallen to 1 or 2 units a year. I bult a total of 150 units starting in 2008. Never a failure, so there's still units floating around out there for sale every once in a while.

If there were plenty of people willing to buy it, I'd still be building them. This is not an inexpensive modification. My price was 450.00, and all considered is a very fair price. The c-10 has grown old in the tooth, and folks just weren't willing to spend that kind of money. This isn't something that happened in the last year or 2 either, it has been at least 5 years back that sales had fallen to 1 or 2 units a year. I bult a total of 150 units starting in 2008. Never a failure, so there's still units floating around out there for sale every once in a while.

Time marches on. My 2003 C-10 was still fairly young when I installed Steve's mod. Now it's 18 years old. The price for the mod is very fair considering it's benefits, but it's about 1/3 to 1/4 of what my bike is worth now. Worth to me........priceless.

I hear ya Steve
Maby one day ill find one
Thanks for all you do.
Ill be sending you carbs next winter

I am in search of 7th gear roadmap as I asked Steve S and he no longer does them. I am willing to machine one. If I need a C10 Front Bevel Case, then I will get one. Is the Vulcan front bevel the gear set?

Steve

You have his contact info ?
I am desperate for a 7th gear and willing to move heaven and earth for one. I have posted for a used unit and no pings on it. I am in the automotive industry and have access to machinists. Just need a roadmap. I am not looking a new biz venture, just need it for my C10 that I am going to put lots of miles on.