• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Beyond redneck

Tour1

I've been telling my wife we should get a compost drum.
Wife doesn't like the front loader washing machine we have.

She wants to know if I can convert the washing machine into a compost drum.  She says green paint will do it.
:- :-[

pilgrim

Street Cruiser
Forum Subscriber
Last week at a local restaurant we went to for dinner the background music playing was country.  Not my choice, but I can live with it temporarily because the food/drinks are good.  The lyrics to one of the songs said something to the effect of "...being more rednecker than you."  The wife and I looked at each other and started laughing.

I've heard similar comments from others about the front loading machines, some people don't like them. 

Tour1

BackInTheSaddle said:
Well, what was your answer???
I said it wouldn't work because it has holes in it to let the water out.
She said the $100 compost drum has holes in it to let the water out.
Seriously it's disgusting cleaning out the filter when it pumps laundry water and gets clogged with coins & long elastic bands.
What would it be like filled with wet leaves, kitchen scraps, and puppy poop?
Most of all, the compost drum must be 30 to 40 gallons.
The washer probably holds 6 gallons at most, more likely 2 or 3.

Back in the 80's there was an Are You a Redneck? test and I remember 2 questions:
How many appliances do you have in your yard?
Do any of them work?

Seriously my plan is to tell her somebody on the COG forum tried it and it didn't work.
All I need is your testimonial  :allhail:

Ranger Jim

Unfortunately (for you) I think it could work. You'd need to disconnect ALL the plumbing (supply and drainage), remove the filter completely and it should work.

A better solution might be to sell the washer and buy the composter. Or, if you want to come get it, I have a rotating composter you can have for free (just haul it away).

Tour1

Thanks for the offer but at my MPG it would be cheaper to buy a new composter near here.
We'll probably keep tossing stuff into the garden.
This kind of thing makes me feel so tired. :truce:

mcfly

Tour1 said:
BackInTheSaddle said:
Well, what was your answer???
I said it wouldn't work because it has holes in it to let the water out.
She said the $100 compost drum has holes in it to let the water out.
Seriously it's disgusting cleaning out the filter when it pumps laundry water and gets clogged with coins & long elastic bands.
What would it be like filled with wet leaves, kitchen scraps, and puppy poop?
Most of all, the compost drum must be 30 to 40 gallons.
The washer probably holds 6 gallons at most, more likely 2 or 3.

Back in the 80's there was an Are You a Redneck? test and I remember 2 questions:
How many appliances do you have in your yard?
Do any of them work?

Seriously my plan is to tell her somebody on the COG forum tried it and it didn't work.
All I need is your testimonial  :allhail:

My washer compost drum works great!  No, it isn't high capacity like the fancy schmancy one you
want, but, it blends right in with the other appliances in the yard.  ;D

nosmo

You guys obviously never saw Red Green in action.  He could turn any appliance into ANYTHING with nothing but a hammer and the handyman's secret weapon, Duct Tape.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+red+green+show+videos&t=ffab&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=5RM6JJb3azE