• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Big Bend - Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties 22-24 March 2013

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
SC Area is pleased to announce the  Big Bend - Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties for 2013 on the 22nd through the 24th of March, 2013. We'll be returning to the same lodging as last year.

The Maverick Inn
http://themaverickinn.com/
1200 E. Holland Avenue
Alpine, TX 79830

Generous discounts for COG members are arranged so please book early as the rooms not reserved will be released on the 5th of March so please book early and register on the SC COG Calendar. PLEASE REFERENCE COG WHEN BOOKING.
Texas' premiere roads in the Davis Mountains and BBNP and BBSP await the riders who want to scrub rubber off the sides of their tyres!

COG Dinner is tentatively set for Saturday night the 23rd 7PM at the Bread and Breakfast Cafe, 113 W. Holland in downtown Alpine. This is the place where some of us have breakfast and they are opening up for a catered dinner of BBQ beef, chicken, salad, bread pudding, and iced tea/coffee included for $13.95.

We will have the entire cafe to ourselves for this dinner.

Please feel free to PM or call me at 214.542.7207 if you need additional details.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zg1400/sets/72157623767343090/show/

Ride from 2010 above.............two wheel bliss

Pamela and I will be arriving on the 21st so come a day early if you want to get a second day in!
Craig

Thanks Bob and I just registered for myself and Pamela.

Registration really helps on planning the dinner and other logistics so please register if you are coming.

17 rooms are left as of this post on the 5 DEC 12.

Craig

Necron99 said:
This was a ton of fun last year....  I should probably book a room....

Great!!! There's already two other riders leaving with Pamela and yours truly from DFW Thursday morning for the ride. You are most welcome to join us for the ride down.

Craig

I will be leaving Houston Thursday morning and taking the lazy route.  I probably will spend the night some where in the Hill Country or Sanderson.  Just depends on how lazy I am.  Anyone is welcome to ride out with me if they wish, just understand that I am not in a hurry, so it will be a casual ride.

Fred

Dalroo said:
I am bummed - I have a conflict that weekend which will keep me close to home. Sux :mad:

I'm bummed too  :sorry:

We'll miss you . . . . and maybe....somehow that weekend will become available for you again.

Ride free,

Craig

6dea6fccd4cee4e676b431ddd95bb53b.jpg

Just arrived home from a trip out to Big Bend.  Thought I would post a pic to motivate some folks.

Ah, yes, Santa Elena Canyon, at the end of a great stretch of 20 or so miles of scenic twisties. Pack a lunch and eat at the Canyon; great view. Was there in December with the park virtually empty, had the Canyon to myself.

Great shot and a good time of year for hiking in BBNP!

Rooms at the Maverick WILL BE RELEASED on the 1st of March so get your reservations in please.

If this book is available at a local library I would like to recommend it for getting some  insight into the Big Bend and Davis Mountain regions' geology.

http://texasgeologicalpress.com/blog5/big-bend-vistas/

Bill MacLeod passed away in August, 2010, but his writings are some of the best expositions for lay folks interested in knowing a little more about the region. :great:

Every trip down there I see new wonders that come alive after reading his books, with the added bonus of some of the finest roads in TX for scrubbing rubber off the sides of your tyres!

Please register with the SC Calendar for the event so the meal planning can be optimized if you can.

This year will be the 11th consecutive ride since 2002........there were lots of trips before 2002, but the current annual ride has enjoyed a good and continuing run.

Craig

fred-houston said:
I will be leaving Houston Thursday morning and taking the lazy route.  I probably will spend the night some where in the Hill Country or Sanderson.  Just depends on how lazy I am.  Anyone is welcome to ride out with me if they wish, just understand that I am not in a hurry, so it will be a casual ride.

Fred

Fred, we may be interested. Rite now we're undecided about making the trip.
If we do,, I will let you know.
If your interested in a QUALITY place ta stay,,  there's always room at Halfcow Ranch on Thursday Night....

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
fred-houston said:

Fred

If your interested in a QUALITY place ta stay,,  there's always room at Halfcow Ranch on Thursday Night....

Ride safe, Ted

:-X    :-X    :-X    :-X    :-X    :-X    :-X

gr33nmAn

connie_rider said:
fred-houston said:

Fred

Ride safe, Ted

I will be happy to ride out with you, but I will stay in a place that has a door, not cloth, to the crapper.  ;D

Rooms to be released on 1 March, so it is recommended to get a reservation in now.

All trailering and HalfCow house residents are welcome!!! ;D

Craig

I will be happy to ride out with you, but I will stay in a place that has a door, not cloth, to the crapper.   ;D 

That is not a problem Fred!  :great:
You don't have to worry about the Curtain over the opening to the bathroom!!  We solved that problem..  :great:

Ya see, the tiolet don't work no more....
Sooooooooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  Ya hafta go out the FRONT DOOR to the outside,,,, "and squat behind a cactus"......  ;)

See, not a problem. Ya have a door ya kin go thru....  :nananana:
NOTE: Craig has been known to lock the door and go back ta bed,,,, after ya go outside.  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I will be happy to ride out with you, but I will stay in a place that has a door, not cloth, to the crapper.   ;D 

That is not a problem Fred!  :great:
You don't have to worry about the Curtain over the opening to the bathroom!!  We solved that problem..  :great:

Ya see, the tiolet don't work no more....
Sooooooooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  Ya hafta go out the FRONT DOOR to the outside,,,, "and squat behind a cactus"......  ;)

See, not a problem. Ya have a door ya kin go thru....  :nananana:
NOTE: Craig has been known to lock the door and go back ta bed,,,, after ya go outside.  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

HeHe, lets see now, I am too fat, too old, and have no desire to squat behind a Cactus.  Even if I did, there isn't a Cactus big enough to hide me, and the site of me doing so, could traumatize someone for life.  I do not want to be held responsible.  ;D

connie_rider said:
PS: While squating, beware of Thorns and rattle snakes.....

Ride safe, Ted

The Doktor sez "You gonna die!!!!" :(

No snake bite treatments for @$$ bites that are approved in my book!

gr33nmAn

Four rooms are left at the Maverick!

Let's snatch 'em up before they are released this Friday.

Some of the most varied and exciting riding around is here in the Davis Mountains to Big Bend NP/State Park.

Craig

I told Butch I would share a room with him.

Plan is to leave Thursday from DFW if you want to ride out with us - back Sunday

arjay2 said:
I told Butch I would share a room with him.

Plan is to leave Thursday from DFW if you want to ride out with us - back Sunday

I'll be leaving with some other folks on Thursday morning and headed down US 67 to the ride.

I think we'll be KSU in mesquite around 0730.

Other folks schedules may be different but Alvarado is a good place to meet if riders are coming from out in the western MetroMess.

Craig

Ride safe, Ted

Geez, you'd think after all these years this place would have been upgraded to a fullcow!  I guess we'll have to wait until they build out the ballroom, huh?

I read further down in the posts that you're not gonna make it Ted.  I doubt we will either, but we're still looking into it.

10 Days until the rubber disposition begins in the Davis Mountains/Big Bend area folks. :great: :motonoises: :great:

I'll need to get a count for dinner on Saturday night, so if you can, please let me know if you are attending.

Looks like $10/person will be the cost at Bread and Breakfast for our exclusive catered meal! A big thanks to our AD Fred for helping out of the dinner with a subsidy from COG!!!!!

Ride free,

Craig

kv5e said:
10 Days until the rubber disposition begins in the Davis Mountains/Big Bend area folks. :great: :motonoises: :great:

I'll need to get a count for dinner on Saturday night, so if you can, please let me know if you are attending.

Looks like $10/person will be the cost at Bread and Breakfast for our exclusive catered meal! A big thanks to our AD Fred for helping out of the dinner with a subsidy from COG!!!!!

Ride free,

Craig

So this is a separate RSVP just for the $10.00 dinner?..I got 10 bucks, count me in.

...and THANKS Fred for the COG subsidy. :c017:

fartymarty said:
kv5e said:

Ride free,

Craig

So this is a separate RSVP just for the $10.00 dinner?..I got 10 bucks, count me in.

...and THANKS Fred for the COG subsidy. :c017:

Hate to waste the bandwidth......but I need to get a count to Alpine soon.......thanks!

Necron99 said:
Nobody still looking for a room mate?
OK, here's the deal.

1) Well, there is my screen name for starters. Cute rhyme though it be, I've earned it. Although it's not a constant thing, however if you see me eating french onion soup.. :eek:... (bring febreeze or scented candle)

2) I snore.  (you've already got ear plugs, right?)

3) My room has only one king bed and it's all mine, so any guest(s) will be on the floor or furniture. (sleeping bag, air mattress, and a pillow from my bed.)

4) I will expect some small $ contribution for shower/bathroom privileges. (obviously not very much, maybe buy my lunch each day?)

5) I'm in charge of the thermostat, but I'm reasonable.

6) In room coffee: whomever brews it gets the first cup.

I'm arriving on Thursday and leaving on Monday.
I'm actually nicer in person than I appear here. Your opinion may differ.  ;)

I fully understand if nobody is interested (I wouldn't be.) but if the place is all booked up, why stay home.

LOL  I'd bet you don't out snore my dad or out fart my dog.  She's otherwise a total princess.  LOL

The bed thing is a killer.  NO I don't mean I want to sleep in the king with you.  LOL  But I've outgrown my desire to sleep on the floor our couch.  Thanks for the offer.  If you had a room with 2 beds, I'd jump on it, and go halvesies with you.

Necron99 said:
LOL  I'd bet you don't out snore my dad or out fart my dog.  She's otherwise a total princess.  LOL

The bed thing is a killer.  NO I don't mean I want to sleep in the king with you.  LOL  But I've outgrown my desire to sleep on the floor our couch.  Thanks for the offer.  If you had a room with 2 beds, I'd jump on it, and go halvesies with you.

The Maverick is fully booked, but there are a couple of options that may be available:

http://www.antelopelodge.com/

http://www.lalomainn.com/

As well as a pricier Ramada:

http://www.ramada-alpinetexas.com/

Anyone else who might be able to share a room at the Maverick?

Craig

I am still planning on making it out with Leslie and the bike on the trailer.  She is till not interested in that kind of one day distance and I am getting use to the idea more and more.

smithr1 said:
I am still planning on making it out with Leslie and the bike on the trailer.  She is till not interested in that kind of one day distance and I am getting use to the idea more and more.

Thanks Bob!  It starts to be a wash on tyre wear and butt time after more of a decade of going to BB in March. It's a good one day ride. It's always the return ride back that wears thin.

If the new Russell Day Long we get in late spring is not the SHIZNIT......then I may receive the order from on  :allhail: high!

Craig

Yes on dinner Sat night.

I have a room reserved at Maverick, but will be splitting a roon with Butch.

So ... I will cancel room early next week if anyone needs one.

Bob

Weather for the ride is looking very favorable at this time. I don't expect to see a dramatic shift in the current long wave pattern so here's what is in store in Alpine:

Highs in the high 70's to low 80's on Thursday, with a little cool down to the 60's on FRI/SAT/SUN
Lows in the mid 40's to mid 50's on Thursday, with Lows in he 40's on FRI/SAT/SUN

Ridging is forecast during the ride so no precipitation appears to be likely at this time

Looks like a little cool air to come on Friday so it will drop the temps a little on Saturday/Sunday.

For those of you all who have not ridden in Big Bend here's some suggestions:

1. Layer your clothing so warmer layers can be stowed later in the day when temps rise
2. Bring some sun screen with at least SPF 15 or better for the neck/face
3. Keep gas topped and carry some water in panniers
4. Temps and humidity are higher near the River Road and Parks
5. Rio Bravo along FM170 just west of Terlingua has GREAT MEXICAN FOOD, don't be fooled by the seemingly small "shack" looking place.  http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56758-d1984003-Reviews-Rio_Bravo_Restaurant-Terlingua_Texas.html

I am expecting the frontal passage further east to be done with precip in DFW/AUS-SAT/HOU before arriving back on Sunday.

There's WiFi at the hotel and we'll organize an expedition to the Marfa Lights Observation post one of the nights.

I'll wear my NV 375 Extraterrestrial Highway cap as a catalyst! ;D

Craig

Craig:
I will be eating with the group, the dinner was very good last year.
Weather wise as long as it doesn't greet us with 32 degrees and snow  like a couple of years ago I am game.

rbentdude said:
Craig:
I will be eating with the group, the dinner was very good last year.
Weather wise as long as it doesn't greet us with 32 degrees and snow  like a couple of years ago I am game.

Thanks for the update! NO snow this time! The last two years the WX has been near perfect and I expect close to the same this year. That was the year Big Joe left his cold riding jacket in Freer :))......lost of laughs about that.

I'm really getting pumped about the ride and getting to see everyone again, Jack's seems like a distant memory.........

Craig

The cooling trend may be a bit overdone by the ECMWF model, GFS is showing a little warmer so anyway you look at it GREAT RIDING WEATHER will be present. ;D

I think Thursday will be the windiest day, so with the ridging settling in the visibility will be spectacular. :great: :motonoises:

I might ride the Davis Mountains and TX17/TX118/TX166 loops on Friday and then the southern route to the BBNP and FM170 on Saturday.

In 2011 we rode all the northern routes, had lunch and then did the southern route to Study Butte, Lajitas, and Presidio  back to Marfa/Alpine in one day!

Any way you look at it some great weather and probably no 90's along the river.

Craig

I am coming in with my better half on Thursday, too. Leaving Wednesday from Houston through Del Rio on Hwy 90. We may have to split Alpine on Sunday, but won't know until the week end.

I think we will have to pass on Saturday night dinner, as we have started diets this year and nothing on the menu is on our list of consumables.  :mad:

We are new to the group, but not new riders. We stayed in Alpine last year, too, with a Honda Valkyrie group. My wife was the Valkyrie rider. Ha. I am definitely in for any spirited rides. My wife is fine to lag behind and meet at the stops.

Looking forward to the experience!

Tim & Mary (2009 red Connie & 2012 black Vstrom 1000)

caveman said:
I am coming in with my better half on Thursday, too. Leaving Wednesday from Houston through Del Rio on Hwy 90. We may have to split Alpine on Sunday, but won't know until the week end.

I think we will have to pass on Saturday night dinner, as we have started diets this year and nothing on the menu is on our list of consumables.  :mad:

We are new to the group, but not new riders. We stayed in Alpine last year, too, with a Honda Valkyrie group. My wife was the Valkyrie rider. Ha. I am definitely in for any spirited rides. My wife is fine to lag behind and meet at the stops.

Looking forward to the experience!

Tim & Mary (2009 red Connie & 2012 black Vstrom 1000)

Tim and Mary,

Thanks for joining us in Alpine and Pamela, myself, and the group looking forward to meeting with you.

I understand about the dinner and have missed some myself when I was on diet disciplines.

Great roads and the weather is cooperative for this trip so we a good time is to be had for all. The only construction I found in the area was on US 67 north of Presidio and south of Shafter.  The one lane section is still south of the Chinati Mountains' sweepers so no biggie there. Apparently all other roads are fully open and ready for some rubber to be deposited from the sides of the tyres!

We'll look for you on Thursday.

Craig

We have been watching this coming all week but Leslie's Grandmother
passed away today and we are canceling this weekend.  I just turned in
the room if you know someone looking.  Yall be safe.  I was looking
forward to it.  Not been my year to ride so far.

smithr1 said:
We have been watching this coming all week but Leslie's Grandmother
passed away today and we are canceling this weekend.  I just turned in
the room if you know someone looking.  Yall be safe.  I was looking
forward to it.  Not been my year to ride so far.

Sorry to hear about that Bob
Marcel

I had a great time!!  Thanks Craig for hosting the event.

For those that decided not to go, here is a taste of what you missed.

Texas-Highway67.jpg

RioGrandeRiverRoad.jpg

BigBend-RiverRoad.jpg

A real heartfelt thanks for the 18 riders who attended the 2013 Big Bend/Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties event.  :bravo_2:

I'll post pictures and a ride report this week for everyone. There were really great times of fellowship and excellent riding weather for the most part during the ride event. :campfire:

The ride venue was excellent with the Maverick Inn stepping up with their amenities and making all of us feel welcome in Alpine. :49:

Next year we will coordinate with the SW Chapter of COG and help to get riders from that chapter to join in with us as in the past.

The catered dinner was excellent and special thanks to Fred for helping out with the COG subsidy for the dinner costs. :c017:

See you all at the Wildflower!

Craig

Made it back to Copper Canyon on Monday after stopping at a friends house in Lubbuck. It was a great time ana great ride. Can't wait to see the pictures. 
Thanks Craig for all your efforts!
Ride safe, Mike :)

click pics to enlarge

Gearing up after breakfast Friday morning:

Local Security examines the Dragon to see if a full body cavity search is warranted. Thanks to some much enjoyed ear scratching
bribery by Pamela, I'm happy to report that the Dragon was allowed to roam the observatory grounds unviolated.

Much picture taking was observed at the observatory:

One of the many great roads we enjoyed during this gathering:

Several COGers took interest in this truck observed at the observatory:

Leaving the observatory we enjoyed a quick run down to Terlingua for lunch, here we gear up to continue down the River
road ([size=10pt]aka The El Camino del Rio
):[/size]

Wild flowers welcomed us most places:

The required group shot:

Quick Quiz: (Q)When in Presidio, what do COGers do when they see a "NO PARKING" sign.
                (A) They park right under it of course!

Saturday we return south and enter the national park:

Saturday eve we returned to downtown Alpine for a wonderful COG dinner:

Sometimes when you stitch photos together (using free software), people's heads either are clipped off or become double. It was either cut off half
of Rob's head or give Bob (arjay2) a double. Sorry Bob!  :sorry:

Thanks Craig for a wonderful trip! Thanks Fred for the COG donation to our dinner.
It was great to meet everyone and I hope to see you all again.
- fm

So, seems like everyone left on Sunday morning as I slept in. :bedtime2:

I eventually braved the cold dusty day and went for a ride around the Davis Mountains Scenic loop.
I didn't envy those going home that day, it seemed quite cold. I decided to go shopping after riding the top of
the loop and headed for the Prada store to get a start on my Easter outfit.
It being Sunday it turns out that the store was closed, as it is on every day that ends in Y.
I guess that would explain all the available parking.  ;)  (click to enlarge)

After my shopping fail, I returned to Alpine and ate at McDonald's. I walked over to Sul Ross U. and went to the Big Bend Museum Museum of the Big Bend. Some interesting stuff
in there. I very much enjoyed the large detailed 3D relief map of the area. It made the one in the visitor's center at Panther junction look somewhat cartoonish.
I finally got my shopping urge quenched when I went to Bealls to get a zippered fleece for the next days ride home. It was on sale.
I watched TV for a few hours and then walked down to Sonic for a couple of Chicago hot dogs for dinner. On my walk back to the Maverick Inn, I noticed the
dust had mostly settled. I then noticed that a lot of it had settled on my C14. That's what I get for dusting it in the morning. :-[
I watched more TV. I looked out over at the court yard and it was dark, no bond fire. Wiping the tear from my eye, I went to bed.
The next morning I was up at the crack of 9:20 AM and prepared to depart. I finally left Alpine at 10:45, and after a 45 minute lay over in a San Angelo
Wendy's, I returned to my home in Fort Worth at 7:10 PM.

Note to self: Get some heated gear.

I'm very disappointed I had to miss this ride - it looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing the photos and video.

It was nice meeting everyone in Alpine.  I made it back to Kansas last night a little after 8:00.  I started out in El Paso before 5am central time.  I spent the day grinding out the miles.  I made the mistake of turning on the GPS while I loaded up the bike, which recorded the time as "stopped time"  maybe 30 minutes or so.  Max speed reset to protect the not so innocent :motonoises:  One LONG day of riding!!

Iron%20Butt.jpg

The cold front shut down the fishing at Amistad Reservoir.  My one and only fish after two cold days on the lake.  It is called "fishing" and not "catching" for a reason.  :'(
fishing.jpg

Marty thanks for sharing your photos! 

I am planning on riding in this area after the MotoGP in Austin.  Does anyone have a route map or suggested roads?  Too bad I couldn't join you for this ride.  Looked like a great time.

Cold Streak said:
I am planning on riding in this area after the MotoGP in Austin.  Does anyone have a route map or suggested roads?  Too bad I couldn't join you for this ride.  Looked like a great time.

From Austin you could take US290 and then hit I 10 for a fast slab route, or drop down to Del Rio and take US 90 in for a scenic route that's longer.

I like to stay in Alpine, that gives good access to both the Davis Mountain roads and then a blast down to Big Bend and the southern roads. Alternatively you could stay in Ft. Davis one night and then in Terlingua another to ride the southern roads.

From Alpine, TX 118 up to McDonald observatory is a must do ride, from the observatory you can take TX 118 north and then catch the TX 166 scenic loop. Not real twisty, but great views until it takes you around to TX 17 south of Ft. Davis. Another ride from the observatory is to stay north on TX 118 all the way to I 10, go east on I-10 and then take FM 3078 south to Toyahvale. From there you can catch TX 17 south back to Ft. Davis going past Star Mountain, through Wild Rose Pass, and the Limpia Canyon formation palisades ending in Ft. Davis.

On the southern routes, take TX 118 south from Alpine and there are some nice twisties for about 30 miles to Cathedral Mountain, from there south to about 15 miles north of Study Butte it is a long ride through the valley of about 35 miles. TX 118 again gets fun descending into Study Butte from about Hen Egg Mountain down to the gas stations there on the left.

If you continue south on TX 118, you will enter Big Bend National Park....two must see rides in BBNP are the Basin Road through Green Gulch up to and then down  into the Chisos Mountains eroded pluton. Spectacular views and a restaurant, camping, and lodging although it is likely booked up. The next ride I would take would be the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive down to Castolon and then the road to St. Elena canyon and the 1500' high St. Elena limestone bluffs by the river. You can get lunch in Castolon about 8 miles from the canyon entrance. The ONLY GAS in the park is at Panther Junction so I recommend getting gas in Study Butte!

After the Park rides, return to Study Butte by the park road and catch FM 170 (The River Road) all the way to Presidio. Spectacular views and a very technical road with blind off camber turns and unexpected elevation changes. From the Fresno Creek bridge you can see the limestone flatirons of the exterior walls of the Solitario, one of the worlds largest collapsed laccoliths.
Continue west on FM 170 and stop at the big hill for a great view of Santana Valley, and then the road continues on with endless twisties to Presidio. From Presidio take US 67 back to Alpine through the Chinati Mountains sweepers (great) or re-ride the River Road back to Terlingua if you are staying there.

One of my favorite places to ride and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Craig

Cold Streak, I hate to say nice things about Craig, but I gotta admit, he did cover the roads "VERY" nicely..  :)
I can offer a couple of other thoughts on lodging.
If you have the time and get "very" lucky you could stay at the Lodge in Big Bend (At the Basin).
The reason I stress being lucky. Rooms are normally booked 1 year in advance.
But sometimes you can ask at the front desk and get a room because someone cancelled. If you rinterested in a room, call Big Bend in advance and ask... Ya might get lucky.
Or, you can camp at the Basin.

Or, you might be able to stay at the Fort Davis Mountains State Park at the Lodge there.
Same senario though. Call in advance to see if a room is available...

I just noticed in the other discussion that your trailering down from Mn.
When I go to the Alpine/Big Bend area, I trailer to Del Rio, leave the truck trailer at a Motel there, and start my ride from there on US 90..
Roughly a 1/2 day ride to Alpine or Big Bend from Del Rio.

Ride safe, Ted