• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bike has been made for 20 years - and no pipes?

JustAdam

Big Wheel
Why is there almost no exhaust offered for the connie - am I missing something? I found the staintune, but they are pricey! Is there anything else out there? And has anyone ever successfully modified the stock pipes to get some more sound? TIA! JustAdam

There are a few replacement slip ons... Dale Walker Hole Shots Cobra F-1 -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

What makes you think you want more "sound?" I find that when winding up towards redline the engine/mufflers make a very sweet snarl and at lower revs the engine makes sufficient noise to be heard by the rider and nearby cage drivers. I suspect that the reason there are few options for exhaust is because most of the Concours riders didn't want it.

Some guys have drilled the OEM baffles with a small hole saw but I think the original bafflectomy was performed by bashing some 1/2" re-bar through the baffles. I myself, like quiet.

What makes me think I want more sound? Mostly its because I just want more sound - LMAO! (what kind of question was that?) I think I am going to try the baffle thing, does anyone have any pics?

Loud pipes lose rights? WTF does that mean? I dont want my pipes to be "illegally loud" - I was just looking for a little more sound - HOLY CRAP IS THERE A LOT OF DRAMA ON FORUMS LATELY! Ease up little buddy, its all going to ok :)

Do the bafflectomy. Just get a piece of 1/2-3/4" rod a couple of feet long. Sharpen one end and stick it up the pipe. Whack it with a hammer untill it punches a hole in the baffle. The increase in performance is debatable, the increase in sound at idle is minimal, but as rpms increase it does become much more noticable, but not excecive. And its free! 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

Well, "Little Buddy," what "Loud pipes lose rights" means is that many areas in this country have had motorcycles BANNED due to noise. While much of these bans are thanks to a (comparatve)few of our V-Twin brethern it still affects us all. I've been turned away from motels in Myrtle Beach SC and in Hilton Head, SC on my GoldWing (which you can barely hear from 20' away) precisely bacause of these motorcycle bans. Perhaps your modifications won't put your bike into the excessively loud category but YOU won't be the one who gets to make that call. It will be a neighbor or some other individual who determines by a completely arbitrary standard what is excessive. Since you seem to be determined to do the mods ... It's a free country - knock yourself out. Be aware that if you make the pipes less restrictive (Bafflectomy excepted from what I understand) you will need to modify the carbs as well. Good luck, Little Buddy.

Very good point Rangerjim. My son did the baffle on his 86 connie. He then got a "wild hair" and put a Vance and Hines 4/1 on it. That puppy got loud. He ended up stuffing some fiberglass in it so he could keep his happy home. (he is living in our back yard in a camp trailor). Now it is tollerable if he keeps it below 4500 rpm. Above that it sounds like an dragster coming off the line. Hate to ride behind him. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

While those are some good points by the Ranger, I am still going to do something, and if I have to do something with the carbs, I will. I am not so sure where the "rights" part of your comment is directed, but we all have rights, and it is our right to vote and make sure that these "bans" do not continue. ESPECIALLY for bikes like a Goldwing and a stock Concours. Anyway, I am not going for super loud, my wife would kill me, and its not a Harley anyway, but I would like a little more tone, not sure why that bothers so many people, but again, its my bike. Thanks for playing along! BTW, FWIW, I am going with just a little mod, so I am pretty sure I will not have to adjust anything, except a little hole in the baffle - lol

I did the bafflectomy, and it sounds a little better. Although next spring, I might change out to the Cobra's or the Holeshot's. Thanks again for everyone's help! Riding>Driving COG #8051 (finally) Almost daily rider :)

i know supertrapp has 1 that fits. i saw a guy that had these on his '86 Thx, Jeff Newman COG #2735 '95 Connie '05 Hyosung GT250 '86 Hinda Rebel 450 (sold) '90 Yamaha XT350 (sold)

A couple of points on modifying the Concours' exhaust:
  • The stock stainless tubes are already at optimal. Back in the 80's, various aftermarket companies did some testing and found there was no substantial benefit to adding aftermarket headers. This was due to the fact the headers are hidden, so instead of looking good, the engineers could concentrate on them working good.
  • The intake air flow and the exhuast outflow are matched with stock carb and exhaust settings. Mess with one, ya gotta mess with the other. Whether you go with high-zoot Staintune, or a simple baffelectomy, to get the bike to run correctly, minor - or perhaps major - tweaking at the carb end needs to be done.
  • Despite "conventional wisdom," adding even the most expensive aftermarket exhaust decreases the bike's value. It's been "messed with." It's no longer original. Recommendation: Keep the stock cans in the garage, and if you sell the bike, remount them. Then, you can offer the aftermarket system as an incentive or "throw them in for an extra $150" or something. Or sell them separate on e-Bay.
  • Consider the esthetics. IMHO, and this is MY opinion, loud exhaust on a Concours is like putting an aero wing rear spoiler on a Taurus. Or them dopey spinners on an SUV. Or ketchup on chocolate cake. Both have their places but not together. Loud exhaust on a Concours just ain't right. But, and it's a BIG BUT, riding motorcycles means we all buck the trend anyway. Do what makes YOU feel good, end never mind what grumpy old guys like me say.
The Original Rich Reed COG #7 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R 1977 Yamaha XS650 Standard 2004 Little Blue Chevy "Over the hill it's five bucks. Here in Idaho it's a hundred and eighty."

I am not so sure where the "rights" part of your comment is directed, but we all have rights, and it is our right to vote and make sure that these "bans" do not continue. ESPECIALLY for bikes like a Goldwing and a stock Concours.
While there are political action groups (like AMA) that fight for our "rights" it is important to note that motorcyclists are a minority when it comes to the voting public. The non-riding public does not know the difference from one bike to another - nor do they care. Also, a fair number of private places have bans that have nothing to do with voting. Many gated communities already have implemented bans. There are reports of some campgrounds, motels/hotels, that have some type of motorcycle ban. We should all consider ourselves ambassadors of the motorcyling community and do what we can to minimize bad perception. Once the perception becomes negative we are all affected. It's not just the loud pipes crowd ruining it for us. It's the street stunt riders that feel the need ride wheelies in cities or busy highways. It's the group of sport bikes wicking it up on the expressway weaving and cutting between traffic. It may be a limited number, but that is all it takes fro a perception to be formed and perpetuated. We're still feeling the effects of the riot in Hollister, CA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollister_riot Just my $0.02 -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I would suggest that you avoid Ontario Canada The police up here are checking bikes this spring A number of police forces up here have purchased meters due to snowmobiles running with aftermarket pipes over the limit and its $85.00 or see the judge Our motor cross club manded supressors on the 250 & 450 4 stroke class - these are dirt bikes that are all stock short cans were banned. The "THUMPING" was heard up to 4 miles away from the track on tuesday night. Sunday rides were stoped, again by the same town 4 miles away. Sometimes one group in a town can do alot of damage or good it just depends on your view. Oh ya, when we ride with someone with loud pipes they get put at the back. Wonder why, humm john You'll never know where I'll be or when I'll be their as i'm riding in the wind.

JN, you will likely never find those SuperTrapps that fit, I have a set on COGZilla, and lucked out getting them off E-Spay when I did. I will tell you that even with the minimum amount of discs installed (most quiet setting) they are still obnoxiusly loud, and the Conni in my opinion with the 4 into 2 system just doesn't sound cool with the alternating burble... wide open it's kinda cool sounding, but it gets old quick. for a good sounding "loud" exhuast, 4 into one is the way to go, easier to tune, better sound overall, and can be made quieter while still offering an "authoratative" bark when desired. The Trapps I have are not for sale, and they have not been available for over 10 years commercially, I just have them for "hooligan runs" out in the boonies....they really become annoying around town.... :blush:
2550418850015463693SQtyXF_th.jpg
2897924420015463693CnEofH_th.jpg
Rich Riczinger COG 5977 Tech Editor,The Concourier

Aw..come on Rich..your not grumpy!!! :p 2002 Concours 1983 Suzuki GS650MD Katana AMA # 593738 COG # 8588