• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bike to Bike communication question

ifilrxs

Tricycle
I have autocom with Kenwood transceiver and it is great but a little pricey. Question is: I picked up an extra autocom for cheap for riding buddy. Would a cheaper radio work well enough? Or does he need to buy a Kenwood?

Are we talking FRS/GMRS radios? I run a cheap ($40/set at BJs) Motorola handheld that plugs into my Autocom. Works great and use it on all the rides I go on. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250

I tried a motorola and had nothing but problems. I ended up buying a high end Kenwood and it works perfectly. I would give the Motorola a shot (borrow one?).......could save some bucks.

Thanks for info on Motorola - that was what I was thinking. I have Kenwood but this group that I will be riding will be getting something cheaper (at my expense-my idea,anyway). I really enjoy being able to communicate other than hand signals. We are planning a "hogs wild" tour in December from Ms to Nc - probably Bham, Atlanta, N Georgia, Tn, Nc and (hopefully) back. (All cruisers except me)

I have a Midland CB that has been a tribulation with my Starcom1. I finally have a special cable that lets it transmit mostly cleanly. OTOH, the Motorola T6500s I have have aways worked flawlessly, completely quiet and clean. The T6500s were almost $100/pair. The problem is nobody else uses GMRS on a motorcycle.