• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BLACK HILLS RIDE --- TAKE 3 --- SEPTEMBER 17 2018

Rasmith

Guys, thanks for the kind words.

We're going to try to spin this up again.
For those retired and want to double up on a ride, we're planning this for the week after The Spider Ride.

Same Place, different date. Hopefully third time's a Charm.

Week of September 17

We'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Hill City. Leaving KC Sunday 9-16, overnighting either in Kearney or North Platte NE. Arriving in Hill City 9-17.

I'll post up in the Calendar as well

Rasmith said:
SteveJ. said:
Hmmmm....

Humming?
Yes. It's actually coming together. May need a rear tire on the way, still trying to work that out. I have a nephew west of Sioux Falls to flop at on the way from Spider. Would likely stay in the Textile Hilton. Fixed income and all that, ya know.

Little over a week away and I'm Stoked! Keep hearing how this is the best time to ride up there.

We're going to do a lot of riding and scouting. Come join us!

Riding couldn't be more perfect! We've done most of the "required" Black Hills routes.
Tomorrow we case out a couple campgrounds while the weather isn't so great.

Only a couple close calls with wildlife. Mostly we had to deal with idiots running over the yellow line around corners

Well, this ride is in the books.
We got to Hill City Sunday afternoon after Staying overnight in Alliance NE. We took in Car Henge on our way up to Hill City.

Monday and Tuesday weather was perfect and thankfully we got in most of the good routes and sites before the weather turned on us Wednesday. The clouds socked in so low that it wasn't really safe to be out in the elevations.
So Wednesday we looked online at a lot of camp sites. The punch list was that we wanted was cabins and/or Hotel close-by and a short ride to any town. No long gravel drive. (All we looked at had gravel drives). Access to electricity and clean modern facilities were a must.

Thursday we headed home. weather was damp and 43 degrees. It was 45 all the way through the Badlands and didn't warm up to 55 until we reached Mitchell SD. Man was it windy! Gas mileage was horrid until we headed south.
All in all, I am excited to do this again next year. There is so much to see up there and several roads I still want to ride. The sites are breathtaking!

FOR NEXT YEAR

We found a very nice Campground with modern and very clean showers and bathrooms. Cabins, a Quality Inn 1/4 mile away. Walking trail to town and a Conoco With convenience store next door.

There a several Hotels in town with various rates but this is peak season so some are pricey.

I reserved a deluxe cabin with a covered porch to hold around 8-10 chairs. It has a grill and outside outlet we can setup a power strip for charging devices. The owner will allow some tents in the grass around the cabin and will give us our own area to tent on if there are enough attending which has picnic tables and fire pits. At :42 in the video below you'll see the Ponderosa cabin I reserved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idf81pBGSWQ
http://trailsideparkresort.com

We spoke with the owner for quite a while. They are great people and very biker friendly.

We will lock in the dates very shortly but we're looking at the end of June so we're not on top of any other local events or the National Rally.