• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Black Widow Full Exhaust Install Question

PNWWVUELKMAN

WVUElkman
2008 Concours 14. Black Widow Full Exhaust with Bw Can.

I got fairings and stock headers/can off in around an hour.
Happy as heck with that done.
Next installed loosely and couldn’t get mid pipe to fit to old pile fitting in front of rear brake.
Took apart and back together 2 more times and still no luck.
Around 4 inches to rear of brake pedal is where the mounting bracket on BW mid pipe. What am I missing?
Can’t figure out how to get pics of my problem uploaded and heading out to pack up bolts in a way I can get fairing back on.

Anyone have pics of a BW they installed. It’s the pipe that the silencer connects to.

Sucks.

Thanks
James

I believe that the bracket that you think is a mounting point is actually the point that the center stand rubber mount hits the pipe.

The muffler (or slipon) point strap is the point where the assembly (slipon&midpipe) is secured.

In the thread "after market headers" talks about that, and you can see a picture in this thread of the install.

Wow. Thanks. I read entire site before got exhaust. Some reason today before doing it I only pulled up the 3rd page of that thread. Didn’t realize at bottom go back. Even came in after 2nd time refitting headers again and looked at 3rd page only. I feel like my granddad 40 years ago with the beta vcr.
Maybe I could put some of it on the 110 degree heat for 5 hours.

Probably wouldn’t have dinked with it so long without asking on here but spent hours years ago trying to get a set of hrc racing pipes for my 83 vfr 750 that supposedly came off one of Freddie Spencer’s. Don’t know about that but got them off eBay in 2005 or so. Neighbors hated those at 0530.

Thanks so much. Definitely made my membership worth it on this one post alone.
Bad news is can’t ride it to work tomorrow. In the old days I’d be out there putting it back together now. These days, I’d do better asking wife to take her Vette.

On another note, I always bust those plastic rivets. No exception this time. The one by the air intake on drivers right side. Had me pull some extra pieces to get the little piece out of the air intake.

James

I was planning on putting my BW headers on at the end of this week, and your post reminded me of that, so kind of glad you posted.

It probably would have been me sitting there trying to figure out what is going on before I would have remembered that thread.

2008 Concours 14. Black Widow Full Exhaust with Bw Can.

I got fairings and stock headers/can off in around an hour.
Happy as heck with that done.
Next installed loosely and couldn’t get mid pipe to fit to old pile fitting in front of rear brake.
Took apart and back together 2 more times and still no luck.
Around 4 inches to rear of brake pedal is where the mounting bracket on BW mid pipe. What am I missing?
Can’t figure out how to get pics of my problem uploaded and heading out to pack up bolts in a way I can get fairing back on.

Anyone have pics of a BW they installed. It’s the pipe that the silencer connects to.

Sucks.

Thanks
James

Attachments

• 905473DD-9BF3-49DE-AA8A-94D05B139995.jpeg
    905473DD-9BF3-49DE-AA8A-94D05B139995.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 193
Just a note: I find for the AreaP mid-pipe it rotates upward and I need to readjust on a monthly basis.

I don’t like over tightening those compression clamps and possibly that’s my issue, but something to watch for with the BW as well.

On my bike I have a OEM ZX-14 header installed. So, I have 2 mufflers/mid pipes that could rotate.

I found a trick that works for me.
(After I got everything lined up as I wanted) I removed the forward mid pipe clamps. {at the header}
In the area where the clamp fits, I drilled and installed a tiny-countersunk-sheet metal screw (with some hi-heat silicone rubber to ensure a seal}.
I then put the clamp's over the head of the screw's.
The clamp ensures that the screw can't come out, and everything seals perfectly.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I also put a bit of high temp silicone inside of the muffler before installing the mid pips.
Assures a good seal.

Send me a pm with phone number and I will text you a picture of mine installed. It took me a bit to figure out that bracket. Like already said it's for the center stand bumper. The hole is small. Trying to put the bumper on was like trying to stuff 10 pounds of stuff in a 2 pound hole. I decided to chamfer the hole with a larger drill bit. I held on a tad too long and the drill went through. Fortunately the drill bit made it a 4 pound hole and was still a pain to install. Once you goop the connections together be right. They don't mention the stuff dry's to hard as a rock. I decided I wanted to adjust the angle of the outlet part of the can just a little. Of course it was after I ran the motor to hear the pipe.

It came apart but required using a wire wheel to smooth things out again to start over. After I was done, I looked like I had been hit with a bag of flower. 🙃 Fortunately there is enough goop in the tube to do it a couple of times.

Send me a pm with phone number and I will text you a picture of mine installed. It took me a bit to figure out that bracket. Like already said it's for the center stand bumper. The hole is small. Trying to put the bumper on was like trying to stuff 10 pounds of stuff in a 2 pound hole. I decided to chamfer the hole with a larger drill bit. I held on a tad too long and the drill went through. Fortunately the drill bit made it a 4 pound hole and was still a pain to install. Once you goop the connections together be right. They don't mention the stuff dry's to hard as a rock. I decided I wanted to adjust the angle of the outlet part of the can just a little. Of course it was after I ran the motor to hear the pipe.

It came apart but required using a wire wheel to smooth things out again to start over. After I was done, I looked like I had been hit with a bag of flower. 🙃 Fortunately there is enough goop in the tube to do it a couple of times.

Yeah, I figured out in the first 3 mins of trying to get that fat rubber thumper to go through that too-small hole in the midpipe bracket that I was wasting my time. So I pushed the rubber thumper through the hole in the center stand. Problem solved. I've had zero issues with it so far. See my picture above. :^ ) AB

Elkman, I understand you want to try the reducer to hear the sound difference.
BUT: Installing a full Black Widow System to increase flow, and then putting the decibel reducer/baffle in, is like putting a cork in the new (better flowing) system.
You may not notice the difference, but it "is" there.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted,
Just didn’t have energy after 10 hours working, 3 hours commuting, and 2 hours to complete install to get a headlamp to see bolt to remove. Wanted to, but 0330 comes early.

I doubt it will ever go back in.

Strictly speaking of my track bike of course.
Big Brother and EPA are coming.
Need more of us to realize United we stand and Divided we fall. Instead to many are only concerned about themselves. If it stays that way our liberties will continue to be taken piece by piece.

WVUElkman

I was planning on putting my BW headers on at the end of this week, and your post reminded me of that, so kind of glad you posted.

It probably would have been me sitting there trying to figure out what is going on before I would have remembered that thread.
review aftermarket header thread too. lots of pics.

i had the same problem. the bracket for the mid pipe is really the center stand stop bracket. my dumb ass was trying to bolt that bracket to stock location. what fooled me is two brothers has 2 brackets on midpipe. one for centerstand stop, 1 for midpipe stock location. bw has one 1. the midpipe free floats and is held by muffler bracket

Attachments

• 383FA400-C1BE-48ED-980C-1F2EA0EB364A.jpeg
    383FA400-C1BE-48ED-980C-1F2EA0EB364A.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 37819CFB-1F06-4930-96AC-DEF73E72793E.jpeg
    37819CFB-1F06-4930-96AC-DEF73E72793E.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 151
  • E94CF68A-C8E2-4AED-8628-B45A33491066.jpeg
    E94CF68A-C8E2-4AED-8628-B45A33491066.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 149
i had the same problem. the bracket for the mid pipe is really the center stand stop bracket. my dumb ass was trying to bolt that bracket to stock location. what fooled me is two brothers has 2 brackets on midpipe. one for centerstand stop, 1 for midpipe stock location. bw has one 1. the midpipe free floats and is held by muffler bracket
You could use the 2 brothers midpipe or muffler if you want to, it will bolt right on.

Steve

Maverick, is the OD of the BW and the TB's mid pipes the same?
Your 2nd photo makes one (the BW?) look smaller.

Ride safe, Ted

I’m going to say yes because both mufflers with their respective midpipe’s fit onto stock collector.

It makes sense that they would both fit the header.
ie; The flare at the end is made to fit the header exit on both pipes.
I'm asking about the mid pipe OD after that flare.
It appears that the (BW?) may be necked down more.

Explanation: I had Muzzy Mids (2 1/4" OD), and later changed to Area P Mids (2" OD) on my bike.
The difference in performance was noticeable. Low/mid power far better with the smaller mids.

NOTE: This question is not an exact crossover on a 1 muffler system.
My bike has 2 mufflers and I may have had too much flow with the 2 ea - 2 1/4" OD pipes.

Ride safe, Ted

It makes sense that they would both fit the header.
ie; The flare at the end is made to fit the header exit on both pipes.
I'm asking about the mid pipe OD after that flare.
It appears that the (BW?) may be necked down more.

Explanation: I had Muzzy Mids (2 1/4" OD), and later changed to Area P Mids (2" OD) on my bike.
The difference in performance was noticeable. Low/mid power far better with the smaller mids.

NOTE: This question is not an exact crossover on a 1 muffler system.
My bike has 2 mufflers and I may have had too much flow with the 2 ea - 2 1/4" OD pipes.

Ride safe, Ted
i will take pic

Might be able to see the mid pipe size difference on my bike. (Posts #112 and #113)

If you can, measure the OD on the one you have. (TB's?)
I'll ask texas.devops to measure his pipe.

{EZ Boys, we're talkin' mid pipes and mufflers here.}

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
2.25 at midpipe/collector
2.00 midpipe to twobrothers muffler
i used flex measuring tape divided by pi

Attachments

• FF22AE9F-D5C1-4125-91B9-5587D09F6257.jpeg
    FF22AE9F-D5C1-4125-91B9-5587D09F6257.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 119
Might be able to see the mid pipe size difference on my bike. (Posts #112 and #113)

If you can, measure the OD on the one you have. (TB's?)
I'll ask texasdevops to measure his.
EZ Boys, we're talkin' mid pipes and mufflers here...

Ride safe, Ted

5cm / 2" diameter on the mid-pipe for the BW muffler.