• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville North questions

cragantler

So after living/working in Western NC since August 2018, I've finally got a week off. >:D
After dealing with the Covid for the past few months at the hospital, I'm free for 9 days :great: :great:
SWMBO has granted me a day off for a ride. Next week's weather is rain/ t-storms all week except Monday.
Wanted to do the Dragon but not wanting to risk rain or going on a Monday. Hold off on that until the fall and mid-week.
I've done the Parkway from Asheville to Little Switzerland once after work and want to try for Virginia.
BRP site says 3 hours from Asheville to Blowing Rock and another 3 from there to Va. State line.
Sound doable in a day?
Obviously I'll be stopping st vistas for views and pics.
Told the wife I'll go until late afternoon. Slab it home from there as we're close to the interstate.
Thinking leave the summer shield on but pack the liner and other gloves in saddlebags.
Anybody local up for a ride?
Plan on hitting the BRP at 74a around 0700 :)

best bet is to visit the real time road closures/delays, and plan accordingly.. note that some areas may be closed miles past the "last exiting" route, to go around them, and necessitate re-turning to an exiting point, to circumvent a closure..

seems like they are pretty well up and clear now, I know they were working diligently a month or so back, to re-open damaged sections..

https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?mapId=e212fcb5-4ff9-4787-bbe4-3d40cc0d0daa#8/36.324/-80.964

have a safe and enjoyable ride... and mind the speeds when travelling adjacent to areas of high concentrations of close burbs... they still patrol, and fine heavily for speed..

Went all thru her. Good to go. Got her loaded with necessities. Tools, fluids, rain gear and liners in case of cooler weather.
Excited to have a day off to explore the BRP.

Attachments

• A993F3B9-B31C-4DF3-A78C-AC4C7FD609EC.jpeg
    A993F3B9-B31C-4DF3-A78C-AC4C7FD609EC.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 105
  • B8E7CBA3-7529-43AB-9F34-2B7491FEF876.jpeg
    B8E7CBA3-7529-43AB-9F34-2B7491FEF876.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 96