• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bluetooth Noise-Canceling Earbuds

Daboo, I chose not to use wireless earbuds like Airpods because of the risk that if they start to pop out (from all the hair that grows in the canal) there's a high probability that it (or they) will simply drop out the bottom and get lost on the side of a road somewhere while I'm riding.

Therefore I opted for these:
My favorite setup is the Shure SE215 with a BTX2 wireless adapter cable. Works like a charm and won't fall out. Great battery life.

I actually bought two wireless adapters because I want a backup on really long rides. If I have one that runs through the 6-8 hour battery, I simply swap out the heads to the second cable and connect to my phone with that one. Meanwhile, the first one gets plugged into my portable pocket charger as it sits in my pannier or tank bag.

These are really the best option I've found, and I'm not restricted to only using them while riding. I take these with me almost everywhere. And, I can use them for conference calls with clients or video conferencing. Sound quality is exceptional and the microphone is quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-CL-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=shure+se215&qid=1629774187&s=electronics&sr=1-2&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NDN1NGZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these cheap over the neck style. Decent battery life and charge pretty quick . I carry wired ones to use if I have to charge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-191401.png
    Screenshot_20220406-191401.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 118
Thank you everyone for the replies. Just to be clear, I want to use these instead of earplugs under my helmet.

Something I find interesting, is the rubber ends are almost a simple domed design. Back when I used wired earbuds, the ones that reduced noise the best had multiple flanges.

Chris

Thank you everyone for the replies. Just to be clear, I want to use these instead of earplugs under my helmet.

Something I find interesting, is the rubber ends are almost a simple domed design. Back when I used wired earbuds, the ones that reduced noise the best had multiple flanges.

Chris
They make those in earbuds also. I have tried them but they irritate me after a while.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-214215.png
    Screenshot_20220406-214215.png
    308.8 KB · Views: 100
They make those in earbuds also. I have tried them but they irritate me after a while.

Same here. As I've aged the hairs have started growing thicker and denser, and these flanges start irritating the follicles to the point where it's burning or itching... or both at the same time. Can't use them. I have to use the expandable foam tips.

I tried earbuds for a short period of time and 1) had problems with them staying in because I have narrow ear canals and 2) the batteries had a very short lifespan between charging. I now use a communication device mounted on the side of my helmet with a boom mike and connected speakers installed in the ear pockets inside the helmet, this allows me to still wear protective ear plugs. I can get FM radio, FM & AM radio from my phone as well as GPS commands plus link up and talk to other riders (a function I rarely use).

I tried earbuds for a short period of time and 1) had problems with them staying in because I have narrow ear canals and 2) the batteries had a very short lifespan between charging. I now use a communication device mounted on the side of my helmet with a boom mike and connected speakers installed in the ear pockets inside the helmet, this allows me to still wear protective ear plugs. I can get FM radio, FM & AM radio from my phone as well as GPS commands plus link up and talk to other riders (a function I rarely use).
I would like to try the speaker ,/ plug thing .

I should perhaps describe my reasons for wanting some kind of noise-cancelling earbuds.

I have a Sena 10C Pro BT headset. A Samsung Note 9 phone. And the Garmin Zumo XT. I also have a Uniden DFR-9 radar detector. And I use the Sena's Group Intercom function when riding with some people. The Uniden DFR-9 has a BT transmitter/receiver plugged into the Uniden radar detector's earphone plug.

My goal is to get a reliable connection with all the pieces. The phone and Sena headset connect with the GPS. That has worked well in the past. My goal is to get the Uniden/BT transmitter to fit in reliably to the mix.

Options I see are:
  • Get a reliable BT connection.
  • Reinstall the Marc Parnes Visual Alert. It's a set of bright LED lights. The only "problem" is you know you have a radar alert, but you don't know what band it is.
  • Use BT noise-cancelling earbuds to connect to the Uniden transmitter.
The last option is what I'm exploring here. If I can get a BT connection from the radar detector to the earbuds, I take them out of the unreliable connection that funnels through the GPS/Phone/Sena headset. But I don't want to lose my hearing, so I'm hoping to find some effective BT earbuds. I could care less about music fidelity...I just want to hear the radar detector and protect my hearing.

Helmet speakers are probably not feasible in this case. Those are already there because of the Sena headset. I doubt I could install a second set of speakers in the available space.

Chris

I should perhaps describe my reasons for wanting some kind of noise-cancelling earbuds.

I have a Sena 10C Pro BT headset. A Samsung Note 9 phone. And the Garmin Zumo XT. I also have a Uniden DFR-9 radar detector. And I use the Sena's Group Intercom function when riding with some people. The Uniden DFR-9 has a BT transmitter/receiver plugged into the Uniden radar detector's earphone plug.

My goal is to get a reliable connection with all the pieces. The phone and Sena headset connect with the GPS. That has worked well in the past. My goal is to get the Uniden/BT transmitter to fit in reliably to the mix.

Options I see are:
  • Get a reliable BT connection.
  • Reinstall the Marc Parnes Visual Alert. It's a set of bright LED lights. The only "problem" is you know you have a radar alert, but you don't know what band it is.
  • Use BT noise-cancelling earbuds to connect to the Uniden transmitter.
The last option is what I'm exploring here. If I can get a BT connection from the radar detector to the earbuds, I take them out of the unreliable connection that funnels through the GPS/Phone/Sena headset. But I don't want to lose my hearing, so I'm hoping to find some effective BT earbuds. I could care less about music fidelity...I just want to hear the radar detector and protect my hearing.

Helmet speakers are probably not feasible in this case. Those are already there because of the Sena headset. I doubt I could install a second set of speakers in the available space.

Chris
One speaker on each side with different feeds? A separate one for the radar?

That's a thought. I contacted Sena customer service; they really had no idea but the book answer.

I have some JVC earbuds I used to wear prior to getting my first Sena headset. I may try those again.

Chris

IEM's are the way to go WITH the foam tips...Comply makes the tips them but they are pricey, I use the AMAZON knock offs , pack of 10 in my size. The ear canal has to fit snug or IEM's lose half the sound and allow road noise. If you take your time putting them in, then putting helmet on, carefully, I get a nice tight fit. I have been using MEE mx2"s best sound for the money (to me). These IEM's wrap around your ear and are very "built in" to your ear. I plug them into Cardio packtalk slim for trips. keeps the road noise down and can have pretty good sound out of them. You can add the bluetooth add on (mentioned above) but I just plug in to Cardo so no need to charge them up.

I think the BEST set up are custom made IEM's but those are $500 and up and there is a process to get them made, my understanding is that professional musicians throw down for those.

Chris,
I tried multiple bluetooth earbuds ( Sony, Shure, Panasonic ) and none of them could give me the volume I needed to enjoy my music or GPS. I bought the Cardo system and installed the speakers but again was not happy with the volume ( especially doing 75 on the hwy ) so I purchased some hearing amplifiers ( similar to hearing aids but not as expensive ) and now the volume is great. I purchased on Amazon and think I paid under $40.

I tried some Bluetooth active noise canceling ear buds. My problem with them is that they would get knocked loose while I put on my helmet. They would sit far enough out that the speakers from my sena speakers would push on them uncomfortably. If I did get my helmet all the way on. For running and mountain biking, my son found some that have a clip around the ear so they don't come out. For me that would just be another thing around the ear under the helmet. I wear glasses.

I like your idea of a second speaker to allow multiple sources of audio at the same time. good luck with your search. You might have to try several to get what you want.

With my Bell helmet I need to wear ear plugs to be able to hear audio above 50MPH. Block the wind noise and the audio is clear to above legal speed limits. I use just the foam ones and have made custom molded ones from a kit a got from a shooting outlet. Both work.

I'm following along here because there is a problem in this area, well several really but the main one is the need for one more BT connection. If only Garmin XT would connect to a Sena, a phone, and a radar detector at the same time then one problem would be solved. The other problem is getting that sound into our ears at a reasonable volume without the wind noise coming in too.

Although I'd love to be wrong about the first problem, (anybody?..., anybody?...) I don't think there is currently a way to cheaply get one more BT connection in there to add the radar detector. There may be a wired solution that would connect to a BT dongle to solve this difficulty. A British firm called Autocom makes an audio center that combines different wired audio sources and allows you to set different output levels. It is all wired but I'm assuming the output could be run through a BT dongle instead of a wired headset. The unit isn't cheap.....the only person I know here that might have first hand knowledge of how this unit works is Fred Harmon, so if the price doesn't scare you off you might reach out to him for info. Of course there may be used or NOS units for sale on fleabay for much lower prices.

http://autocom.co.uk/bike-to-bike-communications.html
http://autocom.co.uk/pdfdocs/Super Pro AV1 instructions.pdf

Now if someone would come up with a seat installed vibrator that would hook up to the radar detector...well I think those might sell well indeed! :love:

..............................................................................................................................................................

The next problem is how to get that sound into our ears. I currently use Shure 215 wired earbuds out of my Sena 20s. They are the best solution I've found so far for me....but still not perfect. Headstill's (what a great handle for this thread eh?) MEE plugs look very interesting as well, I didn't know about those. When bone conducting headphones came out I thought AHaaa! I could put -30db foam plugs deep into my ear canals to get that luxurious sound of quiet and then use the bone conducting phones to get the sound from the Sena into my head. Unfortunately it's difficult to find wired bone conducting headphones and the two I've tried didn't really work that well and certainly didn't have the fidelity of the Shure 215. I suppose that if one could put up with wired earbuds in their ears and a set of bone conducting BT phones in their helmet at the same time then the bone conductors could be hooked just to the radar unit? Occasionally when slabbing alone, I'll go silent mode and just use the -30db foam ear plugs and it's amazing how the bike seems to ride smoother, the seat becomes more comfortable, and the day seems more beautiful.....for about an hour....then I'm jonesing for an audio book or some music or I can see I've missed a phone call from home and I stop to go back to the Shures.
There are some out there that just put foam plugs in their ears and then turn the helmet speakers to max to overcome the foam. Their helmets must be much quieter than mine to get that to work, I just don't understand how that works. I either can't hear the speakers or I hear way too much wind noise when I've tried to get that system to work for me, and it just seems too inefficient to sit well with my OCD if it did work. Kinda like adding an extra motor to your boat so you can drag your anchor instead of raising it up.;)

Last edited:
There is a device that takes 3 inputs. I posted it under the detector thread.

Attachments

• PXL_20220408_003921729~2.jpg
    PXL_20220408_003921729~2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 101
I would like to try the speaker ,/ plug thing .
Incredible improvement especially for long days and x2 if you are riding with a passenger or other motorcyclists.

I can send you a pair of SENAs to try - they’re older but work good. You pay shipping?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I'm following along here because there is a problem in this area, well several really but the main one is the need for one more BT connection. If only Garmin XT would connect to a Sena, a phone, and a radar detector at the same time then one problem would be solved. The other problem is getting that sound into our ears at a reasonable volume without the wind noise coming in too.

Although I'd love to be wrong about the first problem, (anybody?..., anybody?...) I don't think there is currently a way to cheaply get one more BT connection in there to add the radar detector.
I think I worked out a solution for me...but I haven't answered the BT noise-reduction earbud question. I'm not sure there's an answer. What works for most environments, just doesn't work for fitting under a helmet and I want something that'll last for 8-10 hours a day without my ears being more sore than my derrière.

I think the first way I hooked up the BT headset a couple years ago, was the phone connected to both the GPS and the BT headset. That left no available channel when the GPS connected to the BT headset. That sounds like what you're facing fartymarty. That led me to get the Marc Parnes Visual Alert.

In the meantime, my Uniden radar detector gave up the ghost. Uniden has a wonderful program of taking your old unit in for repairs if it is out of warranty and fixing yours for a cheap fixed price. In my case, they gave me a brand new unit.

So this time, I have the phone only connected to the GPS. Calls get answered through the GPS interface only. The BT headset has two connections...the GPS and the radar detector transmitter. That transmitter seems to like connecting first, so I turn on the BT headset and then the radar detector transmitter and all is well. Start the bike up, and the GPS finds the remaining BT headset channel and syncs up with the phone too. It's worked about six times now with no issues.

The transmitter I'm using for the radar detector is tiny. It's smaller than one of the old packages for wooden matches. I put it on the side of the radar detector using Velcro.

1649445218465.png

Chris

Incredible improvement especially for long days and x2 if you are riding with a passenger or other motorcyclists.

I can send you a pair of SENAs to try - they’re older but work good. You pay shipping?

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thank you. I was actually referring to a speaker in the helmet with ear plug in. I guess what I have works fine for me. No passenger and usually ride alone, at least on long trips.

A friend of mine went on a 5 day trip and they decided to use comms. He said the guy never shut up!
Thanks again for the offer. Appreciated.

I think I worked out a solution for me...but I haven't answered the BT noise-reduction earbud question. I'm not sure there's an answer. What works for most environments, just doesn't work for fitting under a helmet and I want something that'll last for 8-10 hours a day without my ears being more sore than my derrière.

I think the first way I hooked up the BT headset a couple years ago, was the phone connected to both the GPS and the BT headset. That left no available channel when the GPS connected to the BT headset. That sounds like what you're facing fartymarty. That led me to get the Marc Parnes Visual Alert.

So this time, I have the phone only connected to the GPS. Calls get answered through the GPS interface only. The BT headset has two connections...the GPS and the radar detector transmitter. That transmitter seems to like connecting first, so I turn on the BT headset and then the radar detector transmitter and all is well. Start the bike up, and the GPS finds the remaining BT headset channel and syncs up with the phone too. It's worked about six times now with no issues.

The transmitter I'm using for the radar detector is tiny. It's smaller than one of the old packages for wooden matches. I put it on the side of the radar detector using Velcro.

View attachment 32134

Chris
Hey that is my problem...so you now have an audio alert through your headset and no more need for the MP Visual Alert?...or do you have both hooked up? Never mind I guess your photo answered that, just the BT is hooked up.
If I have audio I guess I won't need the visual alert, since I also have the V1 remote display. I'm gonna try that set up with the second channel on the headset....one more usb charging thing each night at the motel. :eek:

If I'm understanding your problem, is that you want to try BT earbuds instead of wired ones from a Sena/Cardo/other unit...so you'd put a BT dongle on the output of the Sena/Cardo/other unit? I'm still interested in this thread, some BT earbuds with active noise cancelling would be great!

Let's see now, what would need to get charged each night....1) Sena, 2) BT dongle for radar detector, 3) cell phone, 4)BT dongle for connection to noise cancelling ear buds, 5) BT ear buds, 6) helmet brake light...hmm only six items, I can do that. I certainly hope they don't find out that BT causes brain cancer..that'll be a lot of BT floating around my head.

I just picked up some of the Rukus plugs . Awesome sound with decent bass . Seem to work well with no music too since I now wear plugs all the time when riding .

Thank you. I was actually referring to a speaker in the helmet with ear plug in. I guess what I have works fine for me. No passenger and usually ride alone, at least on long trips.

A friend of mine went on a 5 day trip and they decided to use comms. He said the guy never shut up!
Thanks again for the offer. Appreciated.
Yes Sena units have speakers in the helmets. No worries.

Hey that is my problem...so you now have an audio alert through your headset and no more need for the MP Visual Alert?...or do you have both hooked up? Never mind I guess your photo answered that, just the BT is hooked up.
If I have audio I guess I won't need the visual alert, since I also have the V1 remote display. I'm gonna try that set up with the second channel on the headset....one more usb charging thing each night at the motel. :eek:

If I'm understanding your problem, is that you want to try BT earbuds instead of wired ones from a Sena/Cardo/other unit...so you'd put a BT dongle on the output of the Sena/Cardo/other unit? I'm still interested in this thread, some BT earbuds with active noise cancelling would be great!

Let's see now, what would need to get charged each night....1) Sena, 2) BT dongle for radar detector, 3) cell phone, 4)BT dongle for connection to noise cancelling ear buds, 5) BT ear buds, 6) helmet brake light...hmm only six items, I can do that. I certainly hope they don't find out that BT causes brain cancer..that'll be a lot of BT floating around my head.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

1649524053441.png

In the "Before" setup, I would get parts of the BT connections. Very unreliable...which is understandable when I look at it now. I added the Marc Parnes Visual Alert. It worked very well, but I like the audio alert better. BTW, Marc Parnes' customer service is excellent. I would not hesitate to buy anything from him.

The "Now" setup works. The GPS has two BT channels. The Sena BT headset has two BT channels. I'm not trying to add a third device to either, so the connections are stable.

A BT transmitter like I have will cost you @ $20.

Here's what I was thinking of when I asked the question.

1649525952229.png

What I was trying to do, was take the radar detector transmitter out of the GPS/Phone/Headset connection. A wired connection to earbuds would work, but I'm concerned about hearing damage from road and wind noise. Plus, I'm already dealing with plugging in heated gear and the airbag vest tether. I didn't want one more. As it turns out, I don't need to deal with that.

Chris

Last edited:

View attachment 32139

In the "Before" setup, I would get parts of the BT connections. Very unreliable...which is understandable when I look at it now. I added the Marc Parnes Visual Alert. It worked very well, but I like the audio alert better. BTW, Marc Parnes' customer service is excellent. I would not hesitate to buy anything from him.

The "Now" setup works. The GPS has two BT channels. The Sena BT headset has two BT channels. I'm not trying to add a third device to either, so the connections are stable.

View attachment 32142

What I was trying to do, was take the radar detector transmitter out of the GPS/Phone/Headset connection. A wired connection to earbuds would work, but I'm concerned about hearing damage from road and wind noise. Plus, I'm already dealing with plugging in heated gear and the airbag vest tether. I didn't want one more. As it turns out, I don't need to deal with that.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I ordered the BT transmitter yesterday. ;)

View attachment 32139

View attachment 32142

Chris
So you are using earbuds to get the detector and then the rest goes to the helmet speakers?

While a picture is worth a thousand words, too many pictures probably loses the message. :D

This is the setup I'm using now that works well.

1649537323203.png

The GPS and Sena BT headset have two channels available. (As I'm looking at the above picture, I can see where it would be confusing still.)

The GPS uses its two channels to connect to the phone (for calls and music) and to the Sena headset.

The Sena headset has two channels. It uses one to connect to the GPS as above. The other is used to connect to the BT transmitter on the radar detector.

No earbuds needed now. So I can now continue using my earplugs.

Chris

While a picture is worth a thousand words, too many pictures probably loses the message. :D

This is the setup I'm using now that works well.

View attachment 32144

The GPS and Sena BT headset have two channels available. (As I'm looking at the above picture, I can see where it would be confusing still.)

The GPS uses its two channels to connect to the phone (for calls and music) and to the Sena headset.

The Sena headset has two channels. It uses one to connect to the GPS as above. The other is used to connect to the BT transmitter on the radar detector.

No earbuds needed now. So I can now continue using my earplugs.

Chris
Gotcha. Thanks

Thanks for the help Chris, I haven't tested it in the field yet, but it works in the garage. Probably some volume level adjustments to make especially if I'm talking to another rider. Might also add a usb power supply if my cheap BT dongle on the radar detector will charge and function at the same time. That'd be one less thing to have to charge up each night.
I took the liberty of modifying your drawing. I knew what you meant, but the drawing still sorta showed 3 connections at the helmet and at the GPS, I wasn't sure if it was clear to everyone....I think I made it better??? :unsure: (I made it uglier for sure :rolleyes:)

index.php

Attachments

• BT Hookup.png
    BT Hookup.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 534
Thanks for the help Chris, I haven't tested it in the field yet, but it works in the garage. Probably some volume level adjustments to make especially if I'm talking to another rider. Might also add a usb power supply if my cheap BT dongle on the radar detector will charge and function at the same time. That'd be one less thing to have to charge up each night.
I took the liberty of modifying your drawing. I knew what you meant, but the drawing still sorta showed 3 connections at the helmet and at the GPS, I wasn't sure if it was clear to everyone....I think I made it better??? :unsure: (I made it uglier for sure :rolleyes:)

index.php
If I am using just my helmet what you have above works for me too. As soon as I add my wife’s helmet to the mix and we share music it’s all over, the software gets corrupted on our headsets and will not connect to each other, goes completely haywire and must be reset / reflashed! We have the HJC RPHA 90S + Carbon with the purpose made SENA/ HJC 20B communicators. Customer service as well has been horrid, I don’t know what happened to the SENA company I had grown to like, promote and purchase reliable products from for years.

Are you using the "Group Intercom" for your wife's connection?

I spoke with a nice person at Sena when trying to figure this out and they tried to help but knew only what the manual told them.

Chris

No - not using group intercom. Never had to before trying to link in GPS. Experience here Chris with the group intercom box?

I too tried to handle the first software corruption on the SENA helpline, was so frustrated after getting off the call. We were on vacation and no SENA dealers would help reflash the software, had to go to a motorcycle dealer in or around George’s Lake, New York who helped and saved our vacation…. Once you use communicators for entertainment or simple talking with your passenger or other riders you will never want to ride quietly again..

Back to the group box - any experience here Chris that you can pass along? I would be happy to start a new thread with us as the test case..

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I've never had a COMM system over the last 3 bikes and close to 100k miles of rideing. I'm seriously considering the new Cardo system as I've heard great things, ie waterproof and better sound with the JBL speakers.

Does anyone use BT noise-canceling earbuds? I'm wondering how well they work in replacing ear plugs.

Thanks,
Chris
Getting back to the original question (even though Chris is no longer interested), I still am interested if there is active noise cancellation as opposed to just noise isolation. My Shure 215s are just about perfect for me ...until they aren't...sometimes they work themselves out just enough to start letting in noise from my helmet and it starts to bother me. So although I don't really need BT earbuds, it seems easier to find those than wired ones that have active noise cancellation. If any of you are aware of active cancellation wired earbuds that may work inside a helmet please sound off here.

I ordered these and hope to put them to the test next week. Unfortunately this requires a BT dongle to be plugged in to my Sena earphone jack and one more item that needs recharging each night.

I'll report back here in a couple of weeks to give an update.

Initial problems are that I had to replace the tips with the multi flange ones and those don't fit in the charging case, but if they work OK I guess the case could be modified without hurting it's recharging capabilities. I tried the active cancellation with my head in front of a fan, both in the helmet and out, the active noise cancellation was very noticeable (I turned it off and on) but I have doubts about the implied -35db claim.

Does anyone use BT noise-canceling earbuds? I'm wondering how well they work in replacing ear plugs.

Thanks,
Chris
I have used Plugfones for years now. The foam earplugs knock about 30db and you can Bluetooth music and navigational directions. I just tuck the extra cord I front of my chin and it rides securely on the front wind guard of my Neotec . Been all over the country with em(all over the Lower 48)& have 3 sets of em. About 10 hours battery life and several styles of foam tips so you can get a better fit. Check em out.

Thanks for the help Chris, I haven't tested it in the field yet, but it works in the garage. Probably some volume level adjustments to make especially if I'm talking to another rider.
I ordered these and hope to put them to the test next week. Unfortunately this requires a BT dongle to be plugged in to my Sena earphone jack and one more item that needs recharging each night.

I'll report back here in a couple of weeks to give an update.
Item one: Connecting radar detector BT dongle to Sena. ...This worked very well for an audible alert from the radar detector to the helmet, and the GPS gave clear directions as well. However, when I tried to play any mp3 files from the XT GPS there was no audio as long as the radar detector connection was active. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me as the GPS audio (directions, warnings, touch screen input confirmation) all come through but mp3 audio doesn't even after confirming the volume settings and Music input was from the Garmin and not the phone. When the radar detector's BT dongle is turned off then the mp3 audio came through. I'm guessing that either this isn't going to work for me ....or ...I may need to power up things in a different order.....more garage experimentation is ahead.

Item two: Although I had the ear plugs paired with a helmet mounted BT dongle that was plugged into the out put of my Sena at home, I had trouble getting them to connect on the road. I had failed to pack the ear plugs pairing instructions so I wasn't able to re-pair so I just used the Shure SE215 wired phones for the short trip. Again more garage experimenting is ahead.

Try connecting the BT dongle first. And go to the Wireless Network settings to see what is actually connecting, and what isn't to the Zumo XT. You may want to tell the GPS to "Forget" the Sena and your phone, then pair those up again.

Make sure you pair the GPS to the "Second" BT channel of the Sena. The pairing process is different on my Sena 10C Pro, and it isn't intuitive.

Chris

Try connecting the BT dongle first. And go to the Wireless Network settings to see what is actually connecting, and what isn't to the Zumo XT. You may want to tell the GPS to "Forget" the Sena and your phone, then pair those up again.

Make sure you pair the GPS to the "Second" BT channel of the Sena. The pairing process is different on my Sena 10C Pro, and it isn't intuitive.

Chris
That's probably my problem, I'm sure I have the BT dongle for the radar detector on the second channel. I'll report back on all issues....eventually.
Thanks Chris.

I have used Plugfones for years now. The foam earplugs knock about 30db and you can Bluetooth music and navigational directions. I just tuck the extra cord I front of my chin and it rides securely on the front wind guard of my Neotec . Been all over the country with em(all over the Lower 48)& have 3 sets of em. About 10 hours battery life and several styles of foam tips so you can get a better fit. Check em out.
Does the microphone work for phone calls when you are riding? I'm wondering if the caller will be able to hear me with all the wind noise.

I love the Bose Quietcontrol 30 set up. The set was purchased for business flights and is great for riding. The buds are attached to a yoke and cannot be lost if they fall out. The yoke needs to be centered from time to time. I get some tunes and actually hear traffic better as the wind noise is mitigated. A bit on the pricey side, but worth it. Next season, I plan to pick up a Cardo unit so I can have voice control.

I really like my Shure 215s but they're getting long in the tooth. The foam plugs are a pain in the butt sometimes, especially when it's hot and sweaty they start to slowly slide out. So I just ordered these to see how they feel and sound. The Shure uses passive noise reduction, while this set on order has ANC (active noise cancelling) and the type plugs that don't wear out. They're washable in the sink which should help them stay clean and last more than one season. Plus, the battery life is phenomenal. I won't need to change out the battery necklace halfway through a day's outing... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097HRNYJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm late to the game on this thread but here is my $0.02

When defined as Noise Cancelling, most audio headsets will noise cancel outbound audio only. Any inbound noise cancellation is most often done by blocking or reducing outside sound entering the ear. outbound noise cancellation requires the mic to be able to pick up the speaker clearly.

Any decent wired or bluetooth comm system comes with noise cancelling mic. Most use in the helmet speakers and several allow connecting a 3.5mm headset. The custom made ones get good reviews, but so do some of the cheaper ones like the small wired plugfones. I seem to recall hearing they make BT ones now too.

I have used my Shure 215 as in the ear monitors when drumming. They are easy to wear, sound great, and have terrific sound isolating
properties as in the ear monitors. However, i feel they were not designed to fit comfortably inside my helmets. They caus too much pressure and get hung up on the helmet going on and especially coming off.

I really like my Shure 215s but they're getting long in the tooth. The foam plugs are a pain in the butt sometimes, especially when it's hot and sweaty they start to slowly slide out. So I just ordered these to see how they feel and sound. The Shure uses passive noise reduction, while this set on order has ANC (active noise cancelling) and the type plugs that don't wear out. They're washable in the sink which should help them stay clean and last more than one season. Plus, the battery life is phenomenal. I won't need to change out the battery necklace halfway through a day's outing... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097HRNYJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick feedback on the Elgins: wore them for an hour long ride yesterday evening. Imminently more comfortable with their longer cable. The tips are good enough to keep them in place throughout the ride, even while ambient air temps were still in the high 80's and inside the helmet. Didn't reduce the wind noise more than the Shure passive noise cancelling, but they did just fine and stayed in place. I've got significant hearing loss above 6k and permanent tinnitus in both ears so my sensitivity is not what it was in high school. But, the perceived quality isn't near studio quality like the Shures are.

After a few more rides I’ll pop back on this thread with a review of the battery life, which is claimed to be close to 20 hours. Frankly, if I could marry the two kits, the 20 hr battery life, better in-ear fit, improved wind dampening, and noise cancelling mic with the 215’s sound quality I’d be a happy camper. For the time being I’ll just keep experimenting with the headsets. Buying into the Cardo or other helmet sets just isn’t attractive. Proprietary and quickly outdated, plus sketchy pairing since most guys have a mix of older and newer setups means I’ll wait.

Last edited:
A few random thoughts on this discussion

One of the underlying problems is wind noise, and there are a couple of things to try here. The cheapest and easiest is to install the chin spoiler on your helmet to see if it helps. The other is to reduce the low pressure area trailing your windshield by adding a deflector, Madstad brackets (moves the windshield forward of the cowling and you can adjust the windshield angle), or similar attachment or a different windshield. Other threads discuss such in detail. (Also, keep in mind that ergonomic posture modifications may affect helmet noise.)

Earplugs are a personal preference. One option I didn't see mentioned: custom molded silicone ear plugs. For example, several years ago I decided to have an audiologist fit me for silicone plugs (I already had hearing loss and tinnitus). More than 10 years later they are still highly effective for loud tools, shooting, and motorcycling; I suppose the DB reduction is well above 30, I can wear them all day, and (for me) well worth the cost. More recently, there are do-it-yourself kits for personal molded ear plugs, but I don't know anyone that has tried them.

The Bluetooth diagrams first provided in this thread are outstanding and correctly show that with a full-featured GPS (e.g. Garmin XT), you can UNPAIR phone with your helmet communicator and only pair it to your GPS. Thus, your helmet communicator 2nd Bluetooth input is available -- and maybe more, depending on its version of Bluetooth.

Sena and Cardo Communicators (and maybe others) now offer a new technology: "mesh connection." As an audio device and pillion intercom, "mesh" offers nothing new except the latest Bluetooth version capabilities. But for group communication, multiple riders with mesh communicators will increase the total distance of Bluetooth coverage for the group (like mesh WiFi routers enlarge coverage). Mesh communicators have several modes: "public mesh" (anyone in range), "private mesh" (paired), and connection to legacy (non-mesh) devices. (However, the methods, limitations, and compatibility with other brands other will vary; do your research before buying.) As with legacy Sena and Cardo communicators, their mesh devices have variations for fitment, and some include premium audio speakers for slightly higher cost.

FYI, my ride is a 2012 Concours with Madstad windshield brackets (altered to prevent pullout of the bracket grip-nuts), Heli-Bars for upright rider posture, Shoei GT-Air II helmet with Sena-Mesh+ (it has Harmon-Kardon speakers), stock engine and exhaust, and I don't need my molded silicone earplugs.