• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bob's(smithr) report on Brian's(2fast) Heat Shield

smithr

More info and contact for Brian. http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=43773.0 Install: I had no major problems with the install on my 04. I would recommend removing the tank to install the rubber strips if you bought them. I was lazy and tried to do it without removing the tank and it was more work then doing it right. The shield on the left side did not fit perfect and that seems to be an issue with my fairing panel being curved more in toward the front of the bike then it should be causing a gap at the back of the shield where it would normally be hidden behind the side cover. Replacing the screws was a pain but getting the lower one with the bar and everything has always been hard. I use a trick of passing a rod (actually the Murph's allen T tool) through all the holes to line things up and while holding it aligned starting the screw. Test Ride: Just to mention I have about as much or more experience with heat shields on a Connie then anyone here. I have been building and testing different ones that I have made for the past 4 years. Each year changing things and spending short and long trips evaluating the results of my play. I have to admit being a bit upset that Brian beat me to the market with his version but mine were not easy to bring to market and I was still not happy with mine enough to try. I went out on a day that was 95 degrees. I wore my mesh riding pants , jacket and boots that I have the most experience with testing in. I rode areas I have rode a lot. In my opinion the shield Brian made block a fair amount of the heat blasting out of that area they cover. I would say that the over all effect is about 40% of the hot air from the engine is blocked from your leg while riding. It also helps a lot with the blast of VERY hot air that you get just after taking off from a light when the bike is very hot. When you are stopped at a light and the fan comes on the shield helps block heat lofting up from the engine onto you at about the same 40%. The best I have ever done with any of my designs is about 60% so 40 is not bad for both ratings. The main reason his are not a higher % is they do not seal well against the lip of the tank and the ones I made covered the entire side of the engine all the way to below your feet. While riding without the shields there is a fair amount of heat that gets onto the bottom of your legs. It gets very bothersome on long hot rides. These shields do not get rid of much of that heat and my guess it that is because of the way they do not seal well. As for being more comfortable while riding. Yes very much so. I can almost judge how much better by one silly thing. The sweat spot on my sock when I take my boot off. With no shield my sock is soaked on a ride like that all the way around and the size of a grapefruit. With the shield it was only the size of a golf ball and only on inside of leg. I did test the affect on the engine as I did for other ones that I ran. The shield did very well but should be noted that it DOES have an effect. All the ones I have ever tried did. The bike is set up stock to be able to come off hwy speed right down to stop light and then be stuck in stop and go traffic never getting above 25-30 for any real time at 95+ and the bike will never over heat. The shields both mine and his are so that the bike can maintain a stable temperature when sitting at a light for 5 minutes in 95? degrees. If you are then stuck in stop and go traffic for the next 15 minutes never getting to go fast enough for long enough to cool the bike down then it WILL start to not be able to keep up and bike temps will start to climb. This kind of event does not happen often but does happen. Watch out for it if you get caught in this situation and the shields are on. Because Brian's do not seal all that well to the tank at the top I think they should do better then some of mine did that covered more engine and sealed better. Over all I think it is a nice product that helps enough to be worth it. I can not see how he could have brought it to you guys as a better product without making it harder to install and more costume fit. I may play with mine some to see if I can make suggestions but over all I would recommend them to anyone riding in >90 degree temps. If I ever find a way to block 80-100% of the bike heat from the rider I will let you know. I have some ideas but I feel most of them would make the bike look bad so not many would buy. Go get ya some and enjoy! ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Bob, Thanks for confirming the things I was feeling after installing these. I did a quick review a few weeks baack http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/mboards/viewmessages.cfm?clubID=1328&forum=1116&topic=11944 Greg COG # 7010/7010a (Tracey) CDA 0120 Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude (CDAAD) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle". 05 Ninja 250

I got mine but have not yet installed them. It has yet to warm up so I am enjoying the heat at this point.

They are better then nothing :) I may have to leave them off at the nationals. I am messing with fuel system and may want to see in that area. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

HI guys, I have an 09 C14 that has done some serious damage to my legs from the 90+ heat here in VA. So much so it gave me a heat rash that has me on predisone to clear the rash up...and I am still waiting...I have never felt anything itch like that has and of course it has curtailed riding the bike too which isnt any fun. So I gather then there is no real cure for all the heat this thing pumps out on the legs...

My report is on shields on the C10 from 2008
The C14 is different. It was bad on heat the first two years 08, 09. In 2010 they changed some things and made it much better. To fix yours you might see if anyone in the C14 section has made dams, deflectors or some other way to cool your legs.
I am sorry it got that bad. I never got burnted up like that. Also ware tall boots may help. Having less on like mess or shorts and no leather between makes it worse.