• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Brake lever pull distance

gr8scott

Hi all, short question, long explanation why.

With the adjuster set to 1, how close to the handgrip does your front brake lever pull?

I had my front calipers rebuilt by a friend who was a machinist mate in the navy, then a mechanic at a local motorcycle shop, and is now an engineer (his skill and credentials are not in doubt). Prior to rebuild, I had a fat inch distance between the lever and handgrip with lever pulled in. After rebuild, it pulls to a thin half inch or so from the grip. Maybe less.

I have two complete braided stainless brake lines that join at the master cylinder, instead of one line down to a split. Both of us spent time bleeding with, and without, a mighty-vac, including venting from all banjo bolts, and driving the pistons back into the caliper to force fluid back into the master cylinder (in case of air at the top). I even let the calipers hang overnight with the brake lever lashed to the handgrip. Banged and tapped everything to death. I'm fairly certain there is no air in the system.

Prior to rebuild, the seals were pretty bad, the dust seal was coming out, and the pads weren't quite retracting fully. There was a bit too much of drag on the front wheel when jacked off the floor.

So I'm wondering if it is actually fine now (more pull), and I just slowly got used to the brake lever being further out.

Scott

With the pads pulling back further it take more fluid to get the pads extended to contact the discs. I had the same result as you when I did the same upgrades.

Mine is set to 4 and it only pulls a half inch from slack. I have steel lines to the front but split.

It will take some time for the pads to seat into the groves on the front disks. You will probably find that after that is happened, it will take less "travel" than what you see now.

Just let it break in and after a few hundred miles check for air again. Yes, I know that you have bled it to death so to speak, but I have found on mine after the initial bleed after a rebuild, I seem to find that last little air bubble that pops up after a few hundred miles.

Last edited: