• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

brake light won't get brighter

leigongshan3579

Hi, I've done zero work on my new-to-me '97 C10 except change the windshield to a Madstad. But one of my brake light bulbs went out recently forcing some DIY maintenance. I replaced it with a Honda car bulb per a search on these forums, but I can't get the new bulb or the old one to kick brighter when I hit the front or rear brake. Essentially, all I have are tail lights. Is this a relay issue? Anyone else have this problem over the years? I have the factory repair manual. Thanks!

Hi, I've done zero work on my new-to-me '97 C10 except change the windshield to a Madstad. But one of my brake light bulbs went out recently forcing some DIY maintenance. I replaced it with a Honda car bulb per a search on these forums, but I can't get the new bulb or the old one to kick brighter when I hit the front or rear brake. Essentially, all I have are tail lights. Is this a relay issue? Anyone else have this problem over the years? I have the factory repair manual. Thanks!

I would try a different bulb before digging too deep . 1157 bulbs I believe .

Check to see if your horn works, this is on the same fuse as the brake lights, running lights are on a seperate fuse.
Are you sure that the brake lights are on constant and when you hit the brake lever they look like just running lights are on? With the light lens off you should be able to tell if both filaments are lit.
Check out this post that states the blue wire going to the light is the brake light power.

Bob in Connecticut, thanks for the link to that thread! It was my rear brake switch causing the brake lights to always be on. I put in two new rear bulbs, so I should be good. While back there I noticed a small nail in the tire and will attempt the plug job tomorrow.

I think my motorcycle maintenance muscles have finally started to twitch and I'm looking forward to more efforts on the Concours.