• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Brake squeak

mjsrmiller9825

Hello; I re-installed front wheel with new tire and have a noticeable squeak at a certain point in rotation. Was very careful with my rotors and tire machine allows for them. I put some chalk on the rotor and it seems to wipe at one area. I took bike out and worked front brake quite a lot and still seem to have noise. Did I warp rotor or is there another possible answer? Brake seems to have smooth action, no lunging etc. Pads are near new. I think I have a dial indicator somewhere. Is that the ultimate test?

Brake squeal when you apply brakes? If so that's harmonic vibration and can be helped with some brake grease on the back of the pads. If you don't feel any pulsing the rotors are probably fine but I would check the wear on them to see if they are in spec.

A squeaky brake is annoying. Unless there is a pulsing in the brake when applied I doubt the rotor has warped. When I put on a new set of EBC pads, the front squeaked every time I applied the front brake. A new rear rotor and EBC pads didn't even make so much as a peep.

When mine was making noise I just lived with it until it stopped doing so on it's own. However there might be a couple of things to try that MIGHT help.

I would roughen the rotors (hard to do on the inside I know) and sand the pads enough to get any glaze off. That should not require a lot. Then give it a try. Or try some of the rotor pad goopy stuff made to stop brake squeal you put behind the pads and caliper cup. I've not used this tuff ezcept maybe many years ago when the rotors on my car was annoying me.

Thank you folks. I just changed my front tire and the little squeak started. Only had the calipers off for wheel removal. Brake works fine just squeak at the same place in each rotation when not using brake. It has near new pads and they didn't squeak before. Will watch it and use front a lot. If it clears up or I find it I will post.