• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Brake upgrade for Pre 1994 Concours

2fast

Crotch Rocket
More than a year ago, I got tired of mediocre brakes and warping rotors, and decided to do a full upgrade, including 320mm floating rotors and Tokico 4 pot calipers. The stock brakes for the pre 1994 Concours are a solid 270 mm rotor with a single pot caliper. I located a good match for the Concours hub size, bolt pattern and spacing, which turned out to be a rotor made for a 99-01 Yamaha YZF-R7, which used a modern full floating rotor. I purchased mine from a Chinese manufacturer that sells on Ebay named racingboy8261. The rotors go for a little over $200, and are sometimes marked even lower.

The 4 pot calipers I used are from a Kawasaki ZX6E which was made from 1993-2003. Lots of these calipers are available on ebay in a variety of condition. The missing link was the caliper adapter to mount the 4 pots to the stock fork legs.

Nothing is made to do this, so I had to design and make my own. I came up with a design, sourced a water jet cutter and had some made. They came out very nice, and surprisingly, they are lighter than the stock bracket. This despite the fact that the material is actually thicker than the stock items. The stock brackets weigh 10.6 oz each, and the ones I had made weigh 7.8 oz each. I don’t know what the caliper weight difference is, but likely they are pretty close. I did not do it for weight savings, but for better brakes. And better brakes is exactly what I got! I am currently using Kevlar pads, and they work quite well. I may change to an HH pad for more bite next time I need pads. The trade off is more rotor wear with the HH pads.

The other modifications needed for this to work are fairly simple. The new 320 rotors mounting holes are too small, so they need to be drilled out to a 10mm hole. Easy. The calipers have a step in the mating surface that needs to be removed, and then the whole mating surface milled down so it is 2.5mm below the pad surface. The calipers have threaded holes which also need to be drilled out to 10mm. This is because with the new bracket, you are bolting through the caliper into the bracket. The bolts needed are a 10mm flange bolt, 1.25 pitch in a 20mm length, available at hardware stores. The fork leg mount uses the stock bolts, which are the same thread type and size.

Bolt it all together, and enjoy braking that is on par with most modern bikes! I have put more than 10,000 miles on this new setup and it works great. This link http://s1337.beta.photobucket.com/user/bpsnow1/library/C10%20BrakeUpgrade%20bracket      shows photos of most of the process to help make things a bit easier to understand. Since I had to pay the jet cutter to set up cad drawings and make the brackets, I went ahead and had some extra sets made. If anyone would like to do this upgrade, I’ll send you a pair of brackets for $80, shipping included. I have not had any isses, but I leave it to you to decide if you can do the work and if it will function properly on your bike.  Oh, forgot to mention that I powdercoated the brackets lightly with matte black.

I am certainly interested in these for my 86. I had been considering re-doing the whole front end, but for now anyway I just want to upgrade the brakes. Is pay pal best for you? I would like them shipped to 34606. Thanks

Nice work Brian. After I got into doing mine I was surprised how easy it was.
I can see where you got the weight saving, I left mine more or less a triangle
shape. All in all good job.
rwulf

:great: thanks 2fast. Got my adapters and I'm impressed with the quality. Your instructions / info on this thread is great  too. I have been looking at rotors and it looks like the r7 for the yrs. you mentioned were used on the late model fjr1300 also! If you find that I am wrong would you please let me know tho.  Thanks

Thanks James.......got your pmt too. It looks like you are correct on the rotor interchange. According to the ebay seller I bought from, the same rotor fits these:

YAMAHA FJR 1300CC model year 2004-2006
YAMAHA FJR 1300CC model year 2007-2009
YAMAHA FJR ABS (RP08/) 1300CC model year 2003-2005

I think I mentioned he has them on sale from time to time, and right now is one of those times. 15% off makes em $195.50 right now, and shipping is free! http://www.ebay.com/itm/310261175803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I look forward to hearing how the upgrade goes once you get all the bits assembled.  :great:

Brian, this looks like a great mod, good job following through on this  :great:

There are a few more motorcycles that you can add to the list of caliper donors:

ZX7 1991-95
ZX9B 1994-96
ZX11D 1994-2001

There are probably more, but these are the ones I know for sure.  These bikes all used the same type of Tokico caliper as the ZX6E.

HTH,

GF-in-CA said:
Brian, this looks like a great mod, good job following through on this  :great:

There are a few more motorcycles that you can add to the list of caliper donors:

ZX7 1991-95
ZX9B 1994-96
ZX11D 1994-2001

There are probably more, but these are the ones I know for sure.  These bikes all used the same type of Tokico caliper as the ZX6E.

HTH,

Hey Gary, Thanks for the kind words and for adding to the caliper donor list! :great:

AirMonger said:
Recieved my rotors tonight. Man, quick if I do say so myself. I have had slower deliveries from within the good ole USA. Guess I need to get busy, but as usual just in time for an outage at the plant. Life is not fair. :truce:

And so it goes........I look forward to hearing you have them installed :)

Wow! You got right on it :-\  Looks great, and glad to hear you are liking the difference. I'm curious what you did for brake pads. Did you go kevlar or  HH sintered?  How about the rotors......are they new or used? I'd love to see a close up shot. If you only have 20 miles on em, the best is yet to come.

Has anyone brought in their calipers in for the required milling? Just wondering what that would cost.

My set was milled for free by a friend. I can see that an experienced carpenter with enough sense and precautions could actually do this milling with a table saw running a carbide blade. Aluminum comes off easy.........but you gotta know what you are doing to avoid a serious and potentially catastrophic disaster. Metal flying at a high rate of speed could maim or kill you.

The safer option is to have a mill operator do it for you. It would be cool if we had a COG machinist that could do this operation for folks wanting to do the upgrade.  Anyone??

Mmmmmmmmmm, stopping good :great:

Know what you mean about the front springs....if you have stockers. I'd either cut and space the existing springs or do a set of Sonics.

Right now I still have Kevlar pads installed. I started with them to be easier on the rotors and a less abrupt transition from the original setup. I'm gonna do HH's if/when this set wears out.

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear you are lovin em :)

Brian - looks like the adapters are going to be a weiner! ;)

So I was wondering what you think about the kevlars. I have hh sintered ebc's on my fronts now. How does the kevlar compare? Easier on the rotors? wear rate? Performance in water? You know when riding at my level brake performance is crucial (since I'm to scared to really lean)  :rotflmao:  :-[  Steve

Here's my take on the two. I think the Kevlar is much easier on the rotors. Honestly, you can barely tell mine are not new. They stop the bike very nicely, no grabbing, especially compared to the stock setup.

I think the wet braking is better than the HH's. I think sintered (HH) will do better than the Kevlar when dry. Grooving, wear and brake dust are worse with HH.

Wear rate? I don't really know which one goes away faster. 

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Excellent Brian! Long live the c-10! Steve

Are these still available???  Hope so. Please contact me at your convenience. Thank you for offering these and hope they are still in stock....SCoob

Scoobys_piece said:
Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Excellent Brian! Long live the c-10! Steve

Are these still available???  Hope so. Please contact me at your convenience. Thank you for offering these and hope they are still in stock....SCoob

Yes they are, I sent you a PM

Well. BiG B has hooked me up with my braces....now...Thanks to another forum member, suggested the zx7 calipers..Glad he did as the zx6 calipers seems to be rather scarce, and pricey for my cheap monkey butt.  Soooo looked at the ZX7 calipers and low and behold, a very nice set for the grand total of 24.00.  Now, all I have to do is get the R7 rotor...320mm outside diameter, 132 inside, with 6 holes and I'll be done.....Thanks again Brian for being such a great person...It's so cool to have someone like this on the forum.

HAS ANYONE ELSE COME UP WITH A ROTOR SOLUTION THAT DOESN"T COME FROM CHINA AND COST 200.00 bucks?  I'm really on a budget.

Oh...another question....has anyone tried the 3 pot tokico's?  Prob spelled that wrong.

Got my braces.....ultra cool.  I wanted to post this in an attempt to get the answers that I have posed to Brian.  I asked this question " do the inside, or all the mating surfaces need to be milled down"  I ask inside only, as I think that it's to accomodate the bracket, or do all of them have to be milled down to conform to the inside being milled.  Others may already know this, but I didn't see any reference to it (of course I may have missed it) I also ask if he knows of a milling service, as I may not have access.  Hope this helps!

Scooby, I came up with a rotor solution. Patience and cunning got me 3 (I'll pick the best 2) 320mm zx rotors that'll bolt right on for $10!!

Attachments

• CAM00412.jpg
    CAM00412.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 129
Capo, that's a pretty sweet deal, but it looks like those will work with the later model C10's, whereas Scooby's looking for the rotors for the pre-'94 upgrade.

Capo said:
Oops, sorry scoob

No worries mate...Hahuzzzzzzz....Shelby from axe men. I am 80% there, as I've gotten the ROUND rotors, as I googled wave, vs round...lots of opinions,  found this:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-44928.html

I went with the round, cuz it was a personal preference, and after reading the above.

AGAIN, the wave rotors were cool and I almost bought them, but the round rotors, have more of a classic look IMO. And going on a 30 year old sled, I wanted to keep things as "Classic" as possible...I'll post pics when I get to finishing these.

What a great forum....I have developed a thick skin, over at ZL-OA, as the men who own these bikes, have ALOT of opinions to offer and 90 percent of them are just joking around with you...another great site, but the BS factor is a bit more than here....hehehehe.

Also, riderforums.com is a great site as well.  I found my mean streak rear rim conversion on that site and everyone was very helpful.....Thanks again everyone.

Airmonger... You mention both post 93 as well as pre 94 in your most recent post. Without measuring my axles to see which one is 17mm I am not certain what you are up to. But I am very interested so I will stay tuned as at least one of my machines can benefit from the sleeves you are using.

Big thanks to Brian for the brackets!
Here is the whole setup installed onto my 86. As you can see, I have a few other things going on with the bike as well, so no brake lines as yet:

Typhoon said:
Big thanks to Brian for the brackets!
Here is the whole setup installed onto my 86. As you can see, I have a few other things going on with the bike as well, so no brake lines as yet:

You are quite welcome! Glad to see them mounted up. Looks like you are building a nice nekkid bike there, eh?

Yep, it's going to be the liquid cooled Z1000/ GT750 Kawasaki should've made in this bike family.
Engine is getting ZX1000 cams & carbs plus an equal length four into one exhaust system among other things. I'm also aiming for a dry weight of 210kg or less.
The speedo drive is for an Acewell dash. In my opinion the thing that really lets down naked Concours conversions is the big, ugly dash. I looked at other Kawasaki dashes but they all either ran very different front wheel sizes, or were hidded behind fairings & just as ugly as the ZG dash when exposed.