• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Brakes chattering

The front brakes on my 2006 Concours chatter, or that is the best was I can describe it. At moderate to firm pressure on the front brake level I get a kind of chattering feedback in the handlebars. It feels kind of like the drilled holes in the rotor are grabbing on the brake pads, but its hard to imaging that is what is really happening.

I bought the bike about a month and 1000 miles ago, and I think it is less pronounced than when I bought it. The previous owner was a 'rear brake guy' and perhaps never really used the front brakes.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this and what I do about it?

Thanks

Thanks. I'll try checking the the runout on the rotors. I'm not an expert on brakes but my impression is that if they were warped it would be more like a pulsing where the resistance goes up and down. What I am feeling reminds me more of something catching, like dragging a fingernail over a board with small grooves. It hits and then goes away many times, and slightly irregularly.

Have tried cleaning them really well with a scotchbrite pad...

Wasnt there something recently here on the forum about cleaning and lubing the free floating nubs? There was a video attached to the thread that was quite a surprise as to hiw.much dirt and sticktion is caused by the build up.

The front brakes on my 2006 Concours chatter, or that is the best was I can describe it. At moderate to firm pressure on the front brake level I get a kind of chattering feedback in the handlebars. It feels kind of like the drilled holes in the rotor are grabbing on the brake pads, but its hard to imaging that is what is really happening.

I bought the bike about a month and 1000 miles ago, and I think it is less pronounced than when I bought it. The previous owner was a 'rear brake guy' and perhaps never really used the front brakes.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this and what I do about it?

Thanks
This almost sounds like an oil impregnated / glazed pad.

Brake pads are not that expensive. Suggest after you clean up everything, get a solid bleed of the system if this does not help - replace the pads. Scrub those rotors.

Might be a reason the previous owner was a rear brake only rider. Just didn’t want to deal with this issue properly.

Have tried cleaning them really well with a scotchbrite pad...

Wasnt there something recently here on the forum about cleaning and lubing the free floating nubs? There was a video attached to the thread that was quite a surprise as to hiw.much dirt and sticktion is caused by the build up.
I haven’t tried cleaning the rotor surface, but I might as well. I’ll look for that video, and if anyone knows how to find it please let me know.

I read on another forum that someone recommended spinning them with an Allen key, but ours don’t have a hex head to key into.

My bike has a clunk when I apply the front brakes.
It does this more when I suddenly grab some brake or brake heavy.

Inspected everything for looseness. All looks fine.
Rotors look fine. Nothing appears to be on them and braking is fine..
NOTE: Has new pads on the bike.
Suspect Steering neck bearings need tightening?
Idea's?

Ride safe, Ted

My old c10 did the same thing. Turned out to be my risers for the handle bars. Just loose enough that the forward weight shift from grabbing a hand full, would give me a clunk. Tightened them all back down and never had it again..

Thanx. I'll check it out.
My biggest concerns is that something could be loose in the brakes themselves and I'm missing it.

Ride safe, Ted

George - Thanks for the shout out.

Sam, tell tale sign is to look for rotor wobble. Easy way is to securely get the front off the ground and rotate/spin the front wheel. There's a spec for it, but I just go by the 'if it's easy to see, it's too much'.

It's pretty easy, especially if you've ever trued a spoked wheel. Take your time. Don't hulk out. You should be fine. If you have questions, we're still here.

Checking the steering head bearing tightness is a good idea too (Ted, et al). Too tight is WORSE than too loose, so sneaking up on 'just right' is IMO a good technique. It's sensitive enough I've had to redo it a little after seasonal temperature changes, but then I'm 'picky'. Should be lots of threads here how to do it.

Thanks everyone.

I poked around and I believe that the steering stem has some play which is where the 'chattering' is coming from. It is possible that one or both brake rotors are slightly warped slightly contributing to it. I will snug up the neck bearings and check the rotors with a DTI.

Is it normal for the steering neck to loosen up or is this a sign I should replace the bearings? Other than the play they seem fine, but it odd to me that it would loosen up at all.

When the bikes are assembled they should be tightened again as they settle in.
The best check is to get it on the centerstand and have someone pull down on the back of the bike or put enough weight on the passenger seat area to raise the front tire off the ground. Be careful as any forward movement of the bike will have the bike come off the centerstand. Then see if the handlebars fall left or right to the steering stop and bounce off the stop. It should take slight pressure to push the steering to the stops, I recall someone taking a fish weight scale and pulling on the clutch or brake lever and it taking a 1/4 lb of force to get them to hit the stop.
Once you get them snugged up then check the full range of movement for any notchy feeling, indicating bearing wear.
Take your time because after you tighten it all down if it is too tight the bike will want to steer on its own and is dangerous.