• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bridgestone Battlax T31... To GT or Not GT

RUFFSTUFF

That is the question...
Any feedback on the Bridgestone Battlax T31 vs. the Bridgestone Battlax T31 GT? Supposedly the GT is for heavier bikes, the C14 isn't a lightweight that's for sure.

Thanks!

I can't comment on the Bridgestone, but I've been running the A Spec Pirelli Angel GT for the past 3 sets, 20k miles.

I mostly ride 1 up, with an occasional Pillion and gear.  My riding is mixed, but largely done in the twisties with a 2 hour ride to and from.

I cannot say with any specificity that the GT version has been better for longevity or tire wear/performance.  I am, in fact, going to try a different tire brand this year, and I'll probably steer away from the "GT" spec style.
Why?
Well, I have rarely seen mileage past 5-6k miles on a set.  Typically I saw even wear front to rear, but since upgrading my suspension to Traxxion front / Ohlins rear, I saw my front tire go near bald with about 25% left on my rear.  This is on the Pirelli A Spec Angel GT.
I tend to keep pressures around 38-40psi solo, and closer to 42-45 loaded.

I'm REASONABLY certain, I'm over sprung on my setup right now, but that's a different story.

I've NEVER found a tremendous amount of front end confidence in the Pirelli's.  I can't blame the tires, until I try something else.
The OEM B-stones were Garbage - nobody disagrees on that.
I ran a Michelin PR3 set ONCE, and didn't like those either, and they cupped SEVERELY.  Nope.

The Angels have been good, but I'm ready to see what else is out there.  And I'm not going to get the "heavier" version this time, just because I don't think I need it for MY style and riding profile.

Strictly Opinion, but that's where I'm at.  The cost differential really is negligible, and unless you're really loading out your bike with gear and a pillion ALL the time, I doubt you'll ever notice the difference, or need the extra capacity.

gt

ghostrider990 said:
I can't comment on the Bridgestone, but I've been running the A Spec Pirelli Angel GT for the past 3 sets, 20k miles.

I'm not sure why this post exists. I don't care about the Pirellis... Please stay on topic or maybe create your own thread...

RUFFSTUFF,
I believe your correct. I attempted to find direct specs from their website to post here and am having computer problems so I'm posting from my phone. Can't confirm but believe the GT is designed for heavier bikes, with higher mileage and good performance. No personal experience on the Concours although I have run them on my Valkyrie with pleasing results. Not much help?

RUFFSTUFF said:
ghostrider990 said:

I'm not sure why this post exists. I don't care about the Pirellis... Please stay on topic or maybe create your own thread...

Maybe I misread the post, but i thought you were making light of a GT variant of the T031 that was a HEAVIER version with a higher weight rating, and asking if you should buy that??

My point was that Pirelli makes an A Spec version that is HEAVIER, and I was drawing a comparison to that.

Sorry If I missed the mark on that one.

gr

[quote author=ghostrider990 ]
My point was that Pirelli makes an A Spec version that is HEAVIER, and I was drawing a comparison to that.

Sorry If I missed the mark on that one.
[/quote]

No problem, it's just that I was asking about 2 versions of a specific tire and this doesn't need to be a tire comparison outside of that. There are plenty of threads for that! Thank you for your information.

Yes, the t31 gt is for heavier bikes like the Concours 14. I have used both the t30gt and the t31gt on a 2012 concours 14. The t31gt is a newer tread design. 

I mounted the T-31 GTs  - both front and back - on my C14 last fall.  They seem to be designed for bikes like BMW's K1600 GT and since there is only 50 or so pounds difference between that bike and the C14, I reasoned that the GT was probably applicable to us.  You will note that the rear tire only comes in a 55 profile. 
My experience with the tire is severely limited thus far.  (Our riding season ended abruptly and there hasn't been much riding this spring due to Covid-19).  I can say that I like them, but I can't back any claims as to wear and mileage. 
Good luck! 

Since the moment my original tires were gone I have yet to mount any GT rated tire on my Concours and have had absolutely no problems of any sort and have held that thing at redline in 5th for about 10 miles at a time a number of times so I can’t really understand why people are so concerned with that rating. It’s been unbelievably heavy loaded with camping gear and wife a number of times as well at every speed imaginable.

Different, much lighter bike, but I've run through several sets of non GT T31's.

I think you will like that tire choice. Maybe about 15% less mileage than a non A spec Pirelli, though.

Bike is a 650 Versys, same size tire on the front, a 160/60 on the back.

I was out today riding some twisty roads(they are here if you know where to look) and I was reminded on how well they handle.

Enjoy. And the rebate helps. I ordered in two more sets for this year's riding.

Ride focused.

Who has the best price on the T31/T30 these days.  My old links are so old they don't work anymore. 

RUFFSTUFF said:
So far the T31's are great....!

Thanks for the info.  I'm currently between sets and was pondering the very same issue.  I decided  to try a set of T30 EVO in the non-GT version and wanted to keep the rear tire size at 190/50/17.  Old set was Mich Road 4 GT.

My main riding is solo with the 2 to 3 times a year packing all of my camping gear (100 lbs).  Recent trip this summer took me camping from Seattle area down the coast and all the way to Mendocino (2300 miles) and back through central Oregon.

RevZilla and CycleGear have TS30 EVO for $99 rear and $69 front.  Worth a try, as I've never run these before.  Curious to see how she goes....

RUFFSTUFF said:
That is the question...
Any feedback on the Bridgestone Battlax T31 vs. the Bridgestone Battlax T31 GT? Supposedly the GT is for heavier bikes, the C14 isn't a lightweight that's for sure.

I run Pirelli Angel GTs A-Spec.  For Pirelli, the 'A-Spec' is their version of GT for everyone else.

The Connie is a heavy beast and you will like the better tire wear from running the heavier duty tire.

While you're at it, bump to a 55 series in the rear, better turn in and higher load rating.

ghostrider990 said:
Well, I have rarely seen mileage past 5-6k miles on a set.  Typically I saw even wear front to rear, but since upgrading my suspension to Traxxion front / Ohlins rear, I saw my front tire go near bald with about 25% left on my rear. This is on the Pirelli A Spec Angel GT.

That has been my experience also, since I got the bike new.  Currently on the fourth set of tires from three different brands.  The front always wears faster than the rear.

Is this front wear because of  riding style and/or the fact you are able to do the majority of your riding in the twisties? I get close to 2 rears to a front but only get about 1500 miles in the mountains every 7000. I try but I know I dont attack the curves like many of you.

I thought having suspension set up properly was supposed to extend wear?

Wayne

Pilgrim said:
ghostrider990 said:
Well, I have rarely seen mileage past 5-6k miles on a set.  Typically I saw even wear front to rear, but since upgrading my suspension to Traxxion front / Ohlins rear, I saw my front tire go near bald with about 25% left on my rear. This is on the Pirelli A Spec Angel GT.

That has been my experience also, since I got the bike new.  Currently on the fourth set of tires from three different brands.  The front always wears faster than the rear.

Kzz1king said:
Is this front wear because of  riding style and/or the fact you are able to do the majority of your riding in the twisties? I get close to 2 rears to a front but only get about 1500 miles in the mountains every 7000. I try but I know I dont attack the curves like many of you.
I thought having suspension set up properly was supposed to extend wear?
Wayne
Pilgrim said:
ghostrider990 said:

Yes, it must be.  Less than 1/3 of my travel is on the highway/interstate.