• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Broken Highway Peg

weymouth7

While patching my rear tire, my bike (2014) decided it wanted to fall over and play dead. Once I got it back up, I noticed the highway peg was snapped off the canyon cage on the right side. The cages did their job and aside from some small scrapes on the front and rear cage, the bike was fine. So my question is, how the heck do I get the broken bolt out? The peg appeared to be attached to a threaded bolt that sticks out - snapped off right at the nut it's threaded into. I bought the bike used, it had the cages so I didn't do the install. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Spray it down with PB blaster or something similar, Use a dremil cut off wheel to cut a slot in it and hpefullu you can back it out with a scerwdriver. Is the nut welded to the cage or was it the jam nit for the peg?Maybe you can turn it right out?

Spray it down with PB blaster or something similar, Use a dremil cut off wheel to cut a slot in it and hpefullu you can back it out with a scerwdriver. Is the nut welded to the cage or was it the jam nit for the peg?Maybe you can turn it right out?
Thanks. The jam nut was still on the section of the bolt remaining attached to the peg. The nut that is exposed was actually a bit loose. When loosening it further, I could hear and see the assembly behind the fairing coming apart. I stopped at that point as I was not ready to pull the fairing. I'm going to try some spray and cut a grove to see if I can get the bolt to turn by itself.

Ok, figured it out. The bolt is quite long. I took off the nut and the bolt runs through it and threads into the back of the cage to hold it in place. The other half protrudes and threads into the peg. Since I never used (or liked) the pegs, I used the Dremel to grind down the extra thread sticking out and plan to spray with some flat black. I'll use my reciprocating saw to cut off the bolt on the other side and shoot it with some paint. Problem solved.