• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Building a motorcycle hoist?

Theiceman

Would it be a good idea to build a hoist, to make motorcycle maintenance and repair easier? Harbor freight sells winches at affordable prices. They also sell motorcycle lifts at not so affordable prices and a lift dose not get the bike off the ground,a hoist dose.

Which HF lift are you referring to?  Mine is the table top type lift that you roll the bike up on, elevating the table to ~36" off the floor.

I use it all the time even for a simple oil change. 

It is a must have for me since ground level has become lot farther down there than it used to be for some reason.  ::)

If you watch the ads or use their coupons you can get them for about $300.

Only thing better would be a pneumatic or hydraulic powered lift, but then you've also moved above that price range.

I was not referring to a motorcycle lift ,I was suggesting to hoist the bike from overhead with a hoist ,winch or block and tackle. But I dint know  how good of an idea that really is. OK so  you roll the bike up on the lift but how are you going to remove the rear wheel?  I now see that harbor freight has a 1500 lbs lift for about $90.00 I think that would make removing the rear wheel easier? But I don't  really know , I have not used a motorcycle lift?

I think the question would be, what are you going to use as the lifting points on the bike?  I'd also be concerned about the stability of working on a bike suspended form overhead, what would keep it from swinging around when you were trying to turn a wrench?

Removing a rear wheel is easy, all you need to do is use the center stand.  The front is a little more problematic, but there are methods to do that, which also involve the center stand.

I'm sure you could figure out a way to make a hoist work, but the question in my mind would be if it is worth it?

HF table lift has a drop out panel beneath the rear wheel once a bike is on its center stand (CS).  I don't find it that handy, and can get the rear wheel off the bike without removing the panel.

For the front, I put a block of wood on a small hydraulic jack under the oil pan to lift the front wheel, creating a tripod stance with the rear wheel and CS.  Remove front fender - front wheel removal is easy.

Of course bike is always strapped securely.

I tried an ATV style scissor lift but I found it in the way (can't do an oil change) and precarious with a 650 pound bike up in the air.

All the repair shops are using table lifts so its definitely doable.

I use a plank under the centre stand and  tie the backend to eyelets that I have in the garage floor I also do the same for the front end.stops it moving when you are working on it. You can remove the back end and the front end without  worrying about the bike falling over

I have hung bikes via an engine hoist before, A C14 I have not and I dont  know if I would. It might more difficult to find proper locations to strap it without damaging it.
A KLR for example is easy to suspend and yes it will swing but that is not really an issue. It does make it nice and  to work on when you doing a DooHickey install.

I have a Harbor Freight folding engine hoist (the legs fold up for storage) that I use to help support my 2003 C-10 if I need to have both wheels off at the same time.  I strap to the steel frame at the head and behind the seat.  It works OK,but yes, the bike wants to swing around every time you try to loosen or tighten a bolt, and sometimes it tends to make some operations a little difficult.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-69514.html

I built a wooden workbench for working on my motorcycles in 1978.
Can't imagine anything better for tinkering on the bikes.

Works great!
It's 15" tall.
I use a ramp to roll the bikes on the top.
It has; a wheel stop in front, tie down points at both ends, and a removable section in the middle to put tools/parts,
{or the occasional beer cooler}.
I can jack the front or rear of the bike.

It will last until I can't ride anymore, and then my son will inherit it..

Ride safe, Ted

There is a guy on you tube that has posted a video of a motorcycle  hoist. The video is called, "motorcycle hoist: better then a lift table". I would like know if this guy is a concours owners group member. I would like to ask him how his hoist is working out for him?
    I am considering buying a 1 ton chain hoist from harbor freight for $59.99

did that at the old house. usually lifting one side or the other, rarely both ends, but i did do it on occasion. plate and eyebolt thru a 2x10 joist, never had an issue.  does make some jobs super easy.  :beerchug:

m in sc said:
did that at the old house. usually lifting one side or the other, rarely both ends, but i did do it on occasion. plate and eyebolt thru a 2x10 joist, never had an issue.  does make some jobs super easy.  :beerchug:

I had to lift the rear end of Blue to get it up on the center stand so I could service the shock and remove the lowering links.  Dad's hoist came in real handy.

I see you have a link to the video.  Good, i don't know how to do that? I have lots of 2"×6" lumber and some steel and a welder. I would like to build a outdoor gantry. I was thinking the harbor freight 1 ton chain hoist would be strong enough.

By the time you get thru doing, building and buying everything you need you will
have spent enough to buy that lift table. I got a sweet deal off EBay for mine. I
can just see you trying to sync the carbs with the bike swing around. Trying to
put the axle's back in might be a challenge also.