• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bun Cooler 2016 Rally Tales & Photos Thread

red fox

Just like the last two years, a thread (separate from the planning threads) to post up your tales, photos, videos ... whatever about this year's Bun Cooler Rally in Kamiah, Idaho

As a first-time Bun Cooler attendee, I would just like to thank everyone who put on the event ... it was a great success! I also enjoyed getting to put faces to names from the forum, and I loved the 4 days of riding.  I'm glad I didn't waste my time washing my bike at the washing station, as I got a complete and thorough washing on my ride back today to Vancouver.  ;D  Looking forward to seeing everyone next year!

Thanks Craige for the Group Photo!

Attachments

• 25th BC Group Compressed.JPG
    25th BC Group Compressed.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 173
I had a great time; old friends, met some new friends, fun riding...

Friday was superb weather. 
Bob, Steve and I formed our own sub-group to add 45 miles of twisties thru Pierce on the way in - fun.
Parking Lot Social, dinner, more social

Saturday was good with everybody doing day rides. 
Group breakfast buffet with 6 of us lingering for two hours of chat. 
Tim, Brad and I did our ride along the river road - waving at others coming the other way,
crossed over the famous landslide spot, Charlie gets photos of us in the twisties, 
lunch at the saloon - had BLT and good good hand cut fries (this is Idaho),
Parking Lot Social, group photo, group dinner, door prizes, camaraderie.

Sunday, the ride-home-day, we woke to steady rain.
We had a lot of people expecting rain on their full day ride to home, and some early birds were up, breakfasted and gone by 7:45AM.

Some of the bikes at the rally
2016-05-15%20047_zpsdaihhya8.jpg

2016-05-15%20037%20-%20Copy_zpsqbiunj3y.jpg

Travel stop in Lewiston, Idaho
2016-05-15%20010_zpsimyuzger.jpg

Lunch at Elk City, ID
2016-05-15%20024_zps5qylvg6q.jpg

The guy on the far right of the group photo was late! won't say who it was because we like him.

Another Bun Cooler in the history books.

Jami and Kevin taking pictures of the bikes on the way there.

This is where Kevin works, Lower Monumental Dam on the Snake River.

Another shot of the damn dam  ;D

Me cleaning my visor in Colfax after going through bug territory.

Heading out to Greer Grade Saturday morning.

Going across River Rd one lane bridge by Cherrylane.

Jamin posing over the Cearwater River.

Not sure if she was real happy about all of those twisties.

As you can see I was nothing but smiles.

And so was Kevin.

OMC overly excited he got somebody to refill his pink lemonade at the banquet.  :D

Saying our goodbye's to OMC and Keith in Dayton, WA. They were going to try to make it to Winnemucca, NV we only had to go as far as Pasco, WA Sunday.

Monday on our way home down the Gorge. Jami posing in front of Mt. Rainier.

Me posing in front of Mt. Hood.

Looking for Concourier cover shots down the Gorge.  ;D

Nothing like one of the best burgers on the West Coast after a most excellent weekend of riding.

1,300 miles of nothing but pure enjoyment. OK the rain wasn't that great leaving Sunday, but the rest of the riding made up for it. :motonoises:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=10a655730b67010a60

Thank you to Jim, Glenna, Kari, and everybody else that helps organize the Bun Cooler.  :beerchug:

Just ran 700 miles from Burns OR to the SW top secret HQ. Comments and pics to follow but I share the same sentiments. Another great NW event with great people. Had a blast. Especially hearing Chica was freezing her B**ls off.  :)) Gimme a couple day's. Back to the paying job.

I booked Sunday night at the motel in case anyone wanted one more day of riding. Sadly it rained the whole day Sunday and I was the only one left anyway. Felt bad about those having to leave in the rain Sunday. Figured out the TV and spent the day watching movies. Monday was cloudy, but no rain on my ride to the motel in Rufus Oregon. Great little place by the way, Hillview Motel.  The ride down 97  was clear skies but chilly, got continually warmer from Bend to the Rogue Valley. 1549 miles total. Great Bun Cooler ! See ya'll next year.

Arose a bit late in my tent Sun morn.
Light rain was happening soon while packing.
Really not bad as the rain was so light. Hardly got the 'Stich wet while riding.
Until crossing the Cascade range back toward Tacoma where the rain increased the last hour. Back home 6 PM Sun
Will be shopping soon at Bike Bandit..... whoo hooo! Look at me now!  :))

Great time as usual! Rode with Woodie to Elk City. Met a few more Coggers there. Continued on to Graingeville and to Old Hwy.95. What a hoot! As good as the Old Spiral Hwy but longer.

Woodie on Old Hwy. 95.
P1070029_zpszlv8cape.jpg

Had to stop for these cows to cross the road. You can see the highway below.
P1070025_zpsnxrtwxx2.jpg

At Elk City.
P1070022_zpskxyjkxn2.jpg

SW ride report to the 25th annual NW Bun Cooler. 5 days, 5 States (NV, ID, MT, WA, OR). Over 2k miles. Day 1 Hendo NV to Elko NV and hook up with Wandrng. Day 2 Elko NV to Kamiah ID. through wild horse. Great weather and roads. Did some socializing and BS'ing. Day 3 hooked up with Wandrng and Pingjockey and ran Lolo up and back. Saw Officer Freindly 3 times and got to meet him once. Just a how de do though. No awards given but have a funny story of PJ downshifting in a brisk manner at the pull out we were jawboning at. Got back in time to do a bit of relaxin' before the evening festivities then the banquet. Raised a bunch of money for OTP and Charlie had a nice slide show of his trip as well as a really nice slide show of the history of the BC and past events. A great event. Stayed up way to late. The NW folks know how to do it. Jetstr01, Gumby, Chica, Wandrng and I set out on Day 4 in the rain bound for WA and OR. Like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack I thought "It doesn't look like the heavy stuff is gonna come down for awhile yet" so I wore my summer gloves. Oop's. Got into WA and had a chance to change into winter gloves. Gumby and I laughed at each other struggling to get wet hands into winter gloves. Man that is hard. Broke off from Jetstr01, Gumby and Chica in Walla Walla and proceeded to OR. I Highly recommend the 395. Even though we rode it in the rain (and hail) it was a beaut road. Only made it to Burns OR as the day was long (and cold, and wet) and a low MPH average.Wandrng and I were like 2 chewed dog bones. Day 5 Burns OR to Hendo NV. 720 miles. First part of the day in more rain and cold. Lowest on the dash display was 37 deg. A LONG DAY. I ain't gonna walk right for a week. And I wouldn't trade it or change anything about it! Thanks NW group. Had a Blast!.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/adirtdigger/embed/slideshow/Bun Cooler 2016"></iframe>

Just wanted to say thanks to the NW team for a great rally! I had a great time and a great ride to Elk city with Red Fox and TimR. Lolo pass is worth the price of admission! The ride home to Denver was a cold and wet one, I was forced off the highway in Laramie Wyo due to heavy snow and 34 degrees, waited an hour at a truck stop for the weather to change back to rain and continued on and got home at 7:00pm monday night. I will remember the good times and people, thanks again.

Brad

Brad, Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the Connie worthy roads with us. Hope to see you again next year.

Gumby said:
Lone-Rider said:
Lets see if this works...

https://player.vimeo.com/video/167059290
That is pretty funny, nice editing.  :D :D

Lol, agree love the editing! The realtime scenes between the fast and slow is great.  BTW, do you have SISF's flash- some high RPMs in low gears thru the twistys?!?

robertv said:
Gumby said:
Lone-Rider said:
Lets see if this works...

https://player.vimeo.com/video/167059290
That is pretty funny, nice editing.  :D :D

Lol, agree love the editing! The realtime scenes between the fast and slow is great.  BTW, do you have SISF's flash- some high RPMs in low gears thru the twistys?!?

Stock except for a Delkevic slip on...

Thanks to everyone for showing up and making the BC a success. It is the participants that make for a great time.

It looks like some of you took the name "bun cooler" seriously. I did order decent weather for the Fri. and Sat. ride, but you were on your own on the way home.

I hope to see you all next year.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Thanks to everyone for showing up and making the BC a success. It is the participants that make for a great time.

It looks like some of you took the name "bun cooler" seriously. I did order decent weather for the Fri. and Sat. ride, but you were on your own on the way home.

I hope to see you all next year.
Is this Jim or Glena?

IMG_3240_zpshgqr2gze.jpg

Woody looking for the Craw! 

IMG_3237_zpsh2rdtcpa.jpg

Elk City Saloon parking lot.

IMG_3233_zpso62hmtmh.jpg

My 2014 Versys

IMG_3232_zpsqe25golz.jpg

The boys from Eugene

IMG_3252_zps6emogg9z.jpg

Jim Sherman

IMG_3266_zpsqgnvg97p.jpg

Newly weds! 

IMG_3257_zpsk9tvrrtz.jpg

Herding "cats" Prior to the group picture.

IMG_3242_zpsztpw3lmk.jpg

Wayne Wilson and his "Mean Green Machine"  Well, black and yellow.....  :-\

IMG_3248_zpsprfdgs8k.jpg

Me and my Versys on the Idaho Grade Road

IMG_3259_zpsgsbaeqr2.jpg

The Boss!  Glenda Sherman Jim's much much better half.........  :great:

Cayuse Pass at jct 410 and 123 ready to head down WA 123 to US 12 and toward Yakima. Was cool to start the trip.
P5120005-M.jpg

hwy 410 still winter closure toward Chinook Pass
P5120004-M.jpg

Riding through the Palouse, heading toward the Snake River crossing on WA 261
P5120008-M.jpg

Jim, Bruce, Mike, Nancy
  Fri after riding the Rattlesnake south to Enterprise for lunch at Terminal Gravity
P5130009-M.jpg

New sign to me US 12 toward Lolo Pass.
P5140012-M.jpg

After Riding the Idaho Grade to Grangeville
P5140010-M.jpg

P5140011-M.jpg

CBX-Bob said:
I booked Sunday night at the motel in case anyone wanted one more day of riding. Sadly it rained the whole day Sunday and I was the only one left anyway. Felt bad about those having to leave in the rain Sunday. Figured out the TV and spent the day watching movies. Monday was cloudy, but no rain on my ride to the motel in Rufus Oregon. Great little place by the way, Hillview Motel.  The ride down 97  was clear skies but chilly, got continually warmer from Bend to the Rogue Valley. 1549 miles total. Great Bun Cooler ! See ya'll next year.

That was an accomplishment!  I never did figure it out. 

My Sunday was a rainy ride to Florence, MT, with Island/Idaho Bob Rainey leading the way and showing me how it's done.  Monday and Tuesday were two gorgeous, perfect riding days up to Missoula, Coeur d'Alene, Spokane, Moscow, McCall, etc., back to Boise.

My thanks to Glenna, Jim, Kari, Bruce, and anyone else who organized this event.  My second Bun Cooler was a great experience. 

I'll work on the Boise no-shows and maybe we'll set a record next year.

I filled out the AMA paperwork and mailed it off the other day.  Official number for attendance was 62 people.  So close.

Couple of Southwesters riding up to the 25th Annual Bun Cooler

First off, let me say thanks to everyone involved in planning and producing the Bun Cooler - it was a great event and a bunch of fun. I look forward to next year.

OMC and I left Elko NV nice an early on Friday.

Northern NV and southern ID  had plenty of wide open spaces with a good mix of long straights, sweeps and even some twisty sections. We made pretty good time heading north with a few short stops along the way.
_mg_2661.jpg

There were far more snow capped peaks lining our journey than I would have guessed
img_2658.jpg

When you ride with OMC, he always takes you to the best chow and beverage stops.
_mg_2699.jpg

_mg_2706.jpg

_mg_2671.jpg

We saw more than one kind of snake on our first day
_mg_2713.jpg

_mg_2666.jpg

This guy was near the front door to the Patsville diner above. Turns out there were a bunch of his relatives hanging out all around the joint. So we decided to move on.

Arrival and unpacking at the ol' Idaho homestead
img_2725.jpg

Saturday at the Bun Cooler, OMC, Ping Jockey and myself took off to run Lolo Pass. Officer unfriendly or not.

We'll start with the obligatory Lolo photo(s) - I understand you are not allowed to NOT take this photo
img_2727.jpg

_mg_2731.jpg
img_2728.jpg
THis is the one where I took the picture while in the middle of falling on my a$$ while climbing in to the gully lined with boulders to get a different angle. I got a different angle alright.

Our first stop to look a the beauty instead of flying past it.
_mg_2737.jpg
_mg_2740.jpg

Later Ping Jockey broke of for a quick stop to set up his GoPro while OMC and I continued on. After a bit OMC and I rounded a long sweeper to find Officer Unfriendly with a white pickup pulled over in the oncoming direction.  He was busy so... we'll no issues for us. We pulled over around the next bend, and as we discussed what to do, Officer Friendly comes around the same bend and pulls in behind us. "How is the riding Gentleman?" and a pleasant conversation ensues. He wasn't so unfriendly. As I'm sure as both OMC and I were thinking "Go Away!", we can suddenly hear Ping Jockey a few turns away. I start talking to draw OU's attention while OMC is making behind the back slow down motions with his non-cig hand. Ping Jockey smoothly glided up behind our trio while Officer Somewhat Friendly smirked at us. We all said our pleasant goodbyes and then we finished the ride to the Pass knowing he was up ahead of us somewhere.

We arrive at the summit of Lolo Pass at the visitor center
_mg_2753.jpg
_mg_2754.jpg

Barry on his way home to Montana caught up with us at the Pass.
_mg_2761.jpg

We suited up and headed out to find the Idaho/Montana border. Turns out it was like 100 yards down the road.
_mg_2764.jpg

And what's with the bear butt sign - is Montana expressing something to Idaho?

Chow in Lolo Montana where we parked our Connies in a line of motorcycles at what appears to be a combo restaurant / liquor store.
_mg_2765.jpg
_mg_2767.jpg

After lunch Barry stayed in Montana and OMC, Ping Jockey and I back tracked over the Pass again. Just as good as the first time, but in reverse!

Once back to Kamiah - the festivities started.

Hi Cecil,
  My computer has currently been rendered useless by the Windows 10 virus.  When an IT guy smarter than me has time to look at it and make it run on Windows 7 again I'll send you some pictures.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Hi Cecil,
  My computer has currently been rendered useless by the Windows 10 virus.  When an IT guy smarter than me has time to look at it and make it run on Windows 7 again I'll send you some pictures.

Once you go Mac, you won't go back...

Lone-Rider said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Hi Cecil,

I had no idea Apple had been able to insert their marketing folks into Microsoft until Windows 10 happened.  It really makes me want to switch to anything but a Microsoft product.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Lone-Rider said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Hi Cecil,

I had no idea Apple had been able to insert their marketing folks into Microsoft until Windows 10 happened.  It really makes me want to switch to anything but a Microsoft product.

Do it, Charlie!  MacBooks are too dang expensive, but if you buy one at an Apple store and also buy the $99 One-to-one service for a year, you won't believe how wonderful it is.  Instantaneous help desk.  They call you back immediately, or whatever you choose.  I had my eyes opened when a VP of HP (and HP probably sells more Microsoft-based PC's than anybody) retired and--since she lost her tech support--immediately bought a Mac, and thought it was absolutely wonderful.  She was right.  Haven't had any hint of a virus or whatever since 2011, when I retired from HP and bought a MacBook Pro.