• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bun Cooler 25th Anniversary Information - May 13 - 15, 2016

Tigger

Moped
As Requested -- 

PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND SAVE THE DATES!  May 13 - 15, 2016

We will not open the registration until we have confirmed the meal offerings as well as the the apparel that we will have available because once the registration opens and an order is placed, we are no longer able to update, add or modify the event.  Please be patient and just save the dates for now.  We are expecting really a good turnout and will get the info up as quickly as possible.  Thank you for your patience!

Thanks a bunch!

PS - A new thread will start once the registration opens, as per request  :)

Kari Flint
AAD Marketing
Kari Flint
NW COG Marketing AAD
NW Area Newsletter Editor

Old Man on a Connie said:
Working on a Mongol hoard from the SW to keep ya honest.  :beerchug: :)

Mark, just make sure non of your Mongol horad friends bikes or bike fall in the river, OK?  >:D

That was a NW guy. I think his license plate said LTL DCK or something.

I know about the problem the NW guy had. It was a SW guy who believed it.  :))

Wow, this thread went sideways in a hurry.  ;D

Looking forward to this ride.  :beerchug:

Gumby said:
Wow, this thread went sideways in a hurry.  ;D

Looking forward to this ride.  :beerchug:

Sideways? Naw, just having fun. Had to been there a couple of Bun Coolers ago I guess.  ;) 

And besides OMC is a good guy with a since of humor. His people put on a great National, a fun NW/SW combined Rally to mention a few. It will be good to have him and some of his SWer's present.

TimR said:
Sideways? Naw, just having fun. Had to been there a couple of Bun Coolers ago I guess.  ;) 
Bun Cooler 2012 I remember it well, and the bike in the river story.  :rotflmao:

reconfirmed room reservation and put a deposit down om it. I think the deposit is something new. Could be wrong but I don't remember doing this in the past.

I had made a reservation from Saturday to Monday night. Monday night in case I wanted to hang around for some more riding since I'm one of the lucky ones and don't have to back to work on Monday.

She said based on the total costs it would be $XYZ. I suggested maybe cutting it to two days and if needed take the third when I get there. She said this might not be possible because there are two other groups coming in. I'm glad they will be busy. Of course just now thinking about it, did I reserve for Thurs, Fri, Sat or Fri, Sat and sun. Last year I did the Shermans BBQ (mmmmm gggooooddd!!!) and thought I should do it again. So I need to sit down and figure out what happened during the date changes.

Looking like I am good to go Tim - What about Fri night? Doesn't it usually run Fri-Sun?

Replaced the battery in my FOB today, now I just need to:
Replace bike battery (ordered)
Change oil/filter/rear diff fluid
Check air filter (I think I have a brand new K&N in a box somewhere...)
See if I remember how to make the thing go where I want it too!

We officially start at 4 pm on Friday night, but there are folks that arrive earlier.  Glena and I will be at Lewis-Clark Resort around Noon to welcome you if you come in early  :)

Cookies have been Glena's offerings and she is currently in AZ so I am not sure how long until you get an answer to this question.  Our rally host Jim, Glena's hubby, should be able to answer in the next couple of weeks....

::) :-\

Tigger said:
Cookies have been Glena's offerings and she is currently in AZ so I am not sure how long until you get an answer to this question.  Our rally host Jim, Glena's hubby, should be able to answer in the next couple of weeks....

::) :-\

Who's the host?  I thought it was Glena, and Jim was just her boy toy.  :))

Tigger said:
As Requested -- 

PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND SAVE THE DATES!  May 13 - 15, 2016

We will not open the registration until we have confirmed the meal offerings as well as the the apparel that we will have available because once the registration opens and an order is placed, we are no longer able to update, add or modify the event.  Please be patient and just save the dates for now.  We are expecting really a good turnout and will get the info up as quickly as possible.  Thank you for your patience!

Thanks a bunch!

PS - A new thread will start once the registration opens, as per request  :)

Kari Flint
AAD Marketing
Kari Flint
NW COG Marketing AAD
NW Area Newsletter Editor

Kari, Any idea as to when this will be open for registration, and should we make reservations with the L&C now?  I need to schedule vacation time ASAP. (yeah some of us still are working) Thanks!

wasabi said:
Bob, you should call L&C and book your room the date is set, just need to work out some stuff before we open it up

Got a Cabin.  Rooms are full at of 2/19/2016, although there maybe cancellations.. According to Carrie (SP?) at the L&C they only have cabins and campsites left.

I have a campsite (actually a small pull through for my TimeOut trailer) reserved. They just emailed me to confirm. I'll be there the 12th.

The landslide is the road to Elk City, ITD said the road was open this morning now it's closed with date to open again, I think the rocks are still falling 

The Transportation Dept. says the road will be open by April 1 so we will have no problem getting to Elk City, which is one of my favorite rides.

We have door prizes every year, but I heard a rumor this year would have a grand prize equaling the value of a set of tires.  :great:  :motonoises: Hmm...  I wonder if that will push any fence-sitters over to the attendee side? >:D  There's currently only 25 people registered.  What's up with that?

Don't forget also that Charlie is giving a presentation on his over the pond ride.

I ordered sunshine again this year.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Don't forget also that Charlie is giving a presentation on his over the pond ride.

I ordered sunshine again this year.
Does Charlies presentation include tasty samples? Did Glenna approve your sunshine order? We all know those requests have to be approved by the CFO (Chief Female Officer)  :) Looks like we will be finishing up the OTP auction for the 2015 mini rally banner too.  :great: :beerchug:

I have to use Jim's username to write this because I apparently can't handle one of my own, but to answer some questions:

Yes Bill, there will be cookies, provided you don't wait until midnight to show up.

Mark, of course Jim checked with me on the weather. Mother Nature and I am on a first name basis. When I'm upset, she's upset so it's best to be nice to me.

I would like to thank all of you that have signed up with your profiles complete so I can get the name tags made up. So far 26 have signed up and I have 26 name tags made up. I have even managed to find some of you that tried to register under a fake name. I have had people try that before. Just ask Ronny Lyons, AKA: Plenty O'Toole what happens when I catch you.  >:D

By the way. If any of you are coming over on Thursday, we are once again having a BBQ here at the house. We are only 1.5 miles off of highway 12, at the hwy 3 junction. If you care to stop by, I will be more than glad to feed you.

Looking forward to seeing you all in May.

Glena

I thought I'd post a few teaser pictures for those that haven't made up their minds yet about attending.

edit%20039_zpsrnwww2gt.jpg

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I have to use Jim's username to write this because I apparently can't handle one of my own, but to answer some questions:

Yes Bill, there will be cookies, provided you don't wait until midnight to show up.

Glena

Nice pictures guys but I was holding out for the cookie question to be resolved  :great: (a man gotta eat right) :D
See you all in May..... Hope they get the road To Elk city fixed

Bill

Jim_Sherman_ID said:

Next time try using "Juliaetta".............. ;)

Jim_Sherman_ID said:

Mark, of course Jim checked with me on the weather. Mother Nature and I am on a first name basis. When I'm upset, she's upset so it's best to be nice to me.

I would like to thank all of you that have signed up with your profiles complete so I can get the name tags made up. So far 26 have signed up and I have 26 name tags made up. I have even managed to find some of you that tried to register under a fake name. I have had people try that before. Just ask Ronny Lyons, AKA: Plenty O'Toole what happens when I catch you.  >:D

By the way. If any of you are coming over on Thursday, we are once again having a BBQ here at the house. We are only 1.5 miles off of highway 12, at the hwy 3 junction. If you care to stop by, I will be more than glad to feed you.

Glena

Hi Glena,
  Is it you who says you can't handle one on your own?  If so I'll leave you to using Jim's, but if you're looking to have your own account with your own name attached to it, let me know and we'll hook you up.  I think the ability to post under Jim's name could be quite a lot of fun, though.  >:D

They blew up the big boulder, which was holding up the clearing of the road to Elk City today. Here is a link to the video. They claim they will have a one lane road later this week. The road should be completely cleared around April 1.

https://youtu.be/JpmhmmSoUi8

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
The rock was 2 stories tall. It took 2 blast to break it up. The road will be in good shape for the Bun Cooler.
Wait, Is this Jim or Glenna? ;)

Looks like Lewis and Clark is full, I got a reservation at Clearwater 12, next last room so all they have left is a smoking single...

Bob Rainey was looking for someone to share his room. I don't know if he found anyone yet.

I'll start checking around for other arrangements.

There are 2 more options for Motels. They are both on Hwy 12 in town. They are:

Kamiah Inn Motel 208-935-0040. It is just down the road from the Clearwater Motel.

Sundown Motel 208-935-2568. It is on the west side of town.

I don't know much about either, but I've ridden past them and they don't look too bad.

Attached is the pocket area and ball cap Logo for the 25th Anniversary!  There are currently 33 folks registered . . . We are going for at LEAST 64 for a new attendance record.  Come on people!  You know you don't want to miss this one!

Attachments

• NWCOG Bun Cooler Logo.JPG
    NWCOG Bun Cooler Logo.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 98
Another teaser for those who can't decide whether to attend. The famous Rattlesnake Grade. It winds 9 miles and 3000 feet down to the Grande Ronde River and then climbs 9 miles and 3000 feet up the other side.
edit%20IMG_4491_zpshrlz1qig.jpg

edit%20IMG_4494_zpszij2cksm.jpg

ROUTE RECOMMENDATIONS:

I'm starting my route planning for the Bun Cooler. From Lewiston, it looks like the most logical route is to take Hwy 12.  It looks like there is an alternate route of taking Hwy 95 south and then heading north near Grangeville on Hwy 13 and coming into Kamiah from the south.  Any road reports on that alternate route? Might take one in and one out ... I hate to ride the same road twice.

Hwy 13 from Grangeville is a nice ride. You go down the Harpster Grade to the South Fork and follow that to Hwy 12 and Kamiah. It is a lot shorter than going through Lewiston. Hwy 95 from Grangeville to Lewiston is the only boring road in the area.

No Mark. That was Jim. I was his navigator today and pointing out where to take the pictures.Basically  I tell him what to do and he does it. :)

I misread your route. I thought you were coming from Grangeville. From Lewiston you want to take hwy 12 to hwy 3, to Kendrick. Then take county Rd. P1 to Cavendish and Orofino. Then take Hwy 12 to kamiah. You will wear any flat spot off your tires when you go down the Cavendish Grade.

I'm riding the Grade tomorrow and will post some pictures. It has great scenery and lots of turns heading down the hill to Orofino.

Here are some pictures of the lower end of the Cavendish Grade and a scenery picture from towards the top. I took the road pictures from the same place, one up the road and one down.

Those of you who haven't been to this area are missing some of the best riding in the country. The 2 deepest canyons in North American are here. All of the canyons are 2000-9000 feet deep. The roads go up and down the canyons for lots of twisties and great scenery.

edit%20IMG_4497_zpsfoxyrdzp.jpg

edit%20IMG_4498_zpsor4evh7n.jpg

edit%20IMG_4500_zpslwshiogw.jpg

These are excellent roads folks. I believe if you take Freeman Creek Road (Jim correct me if I am wrong)  it'll lead to Dworshack Reservoir. towards the end the road to the reservoir is gnarly!  :great:

And yes bring good tires!  ;)

Braz said:
ROUTE RECOMMENDATIONS:

I'm starting my route planning for the Bun Cooler.  ...

Can you spare two days in one direction, or is it to be a one day transit?

Old Mans trip up. Bringing the SW hoards.
https://goo.gl/maps/CfRYNkC3VdU2
https://goo.gl/maps/HNBdTKnxgcJ2

There Kari, you have 3 more souls from Central Alberta.
Me and my 2 younger Yamaha FZ guys that like to hang around with the generally
older COG crowd are making another appearance.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

2linby said:
These are excellent roads folks. I believe if you take Freeman Creek Road (Jim correct me if I am wrong)  it'll lead to Dworshack Reservoir. towards the end the road to the reservoir is gnarly!  :great:

And yes bring good tires!  ;)

The road ends at the state park. You have to turn around and do it again back up the hill. :beerchug:

Are you riding your KLR? The roads you show going to Garden Valley are unpaved forest roads.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:

Are you riding your KLR? The roads you show going to Garden Valley are unpaved forest roads.
I don't think the GPX files converted to goggle maps right. :(

BRAZ - What days are you going? I'm in Camas and am thinking about taking my '99 Connie to this. It's still "missing 5th gear" and I'm chatting with a guy who has a couple of motors that he may part with (one blown w/ good tranny; one unknown that's all together). I'm not sure if I want to take on the transmission repair/engine swap before this happens, or over the summer (I have a ZRX1200 to satisfy my 2-wheel needs while the Connie's down). The guy I got it from said he put 20k on it without 5th; just went from 4-6. I'm tempted to take her to Idaho like that but I just want to make sure that nothing 'catastrophic' could happen in riding it in 6th that way.

In any event, I don't know any coggers in the area yet, and I saw you're in Vancouver so, like, we're neighbors.  :)

You can PM me if you feel so inclined but I'd love to pic some more brains about these Connies. I've wanted one for a long time and now that I have one, I want to start putting some miles on it!  :)

Thanks in advance.

K-Hill said:
BRAZ - What days are you going? I'm in Camas and am thinking about taking my '99 Connie to this. It's still "missing 5th gear" and I'm chatting with a guy who has a couple of motors that he may part with (one blown w/ good tranny; one unknown that's all together). I'm not sure if I want to take on the transmission repair/engine swap before this happens, or over the summer (I have a ZRX1200 to satisfy my 2-wheel needs while the Connie's down). The guy I got it from said he put 20k on it without 5th; just went from 4-6. I'm tempted to take her to Idaho like that but I just want to make sure that nothing 'catastrophic' could happen in riding it in 6th that way.

In any event, I don't know any coggers in the area yet, and I saw you're in Vancouver so, like, we're neighbors.  :)

You can PM me if you feel so inclined but I'd love to pic some more brains about these Connies. I've wanted one for a long time and now that I have one, I want to start putting some miles on it!  :)

Thanks in advance.

When you join you get access to the tech pages. They have everything you ever wanted to know about a Connie and a bunch you didn't want to know. There are really good how to articles. Coggers tend to be cheap so they work on their own bikes. I hope you can hook up with those guys and ride over with them.

I have an open room in case any one needs to share. I was hoping to bring a guest but he is not committing with his broken Gold Wing.

I'm in rm 101 at Lewis and Clark. 

Long Biker said:
There Kari, you have 3 more souls from Central Alberta.
Me and my 2 younger Yamaha FZ guys that like to hang around with the generally
older COG crowd are making another appearance.
Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Looking forward to seeing all 3 of you at the cooler -  :beerchug:  - er.... I mean the Bun Cooler!

TimR said:
I have an open room in case any one needs to share. I was hoping to bring a guest but he is not committing with his broken Gold Wing.

I'm in rm 101 at Lewis and Clark.

Aaargggh!

I'm stealing Jim's account again to remind any of you that will be in the area on Thursday May 12, are invited to our house for a barbeque. We live about 15 miles east of Lewiston and about an hour west of Kamiah. right off of Highway 12. We will be glad to give out directions, if needed.  I only ask that you give me some advance notice so I know how much food to prepare. You don't need to worry about bringing anything but your insurance card, in case you need to have your stomach pumped after eating my cooking.  ;) We have an ER doctor and several nurses that live right here in the neighborhood so we can get you help in a hurry, if need be. :))

Also, we have 45 people that have registered so far, if you know of anyone that is planning to come that have not registered, please encourage them to do so. Besides needing to get the name tags done, I have a few other things planned, other than baking cookies, that I need actual numbers for. Thanks in advance, for your help.

Glena

I'm not buying it. This is Jim using Glena's name to hijack Jims account. Glena's cooking is good. Jim's is questionable. Hence the skepticism. Coupla SW folks coming up. Gonna be a hoot. Word to the wise though. DO NOT PISS OFF GLENA! C U in Kamiah. Post Script. We will be raffling off the 2015 Nat mini banner for OTP. Bring your dollars!

Excuse me, Mr. Hartman, but unless you are a 12-14 year old junior high student you have never had the pleasure of seeing me pissed. ::) It can be arranged though.  :-\  Looking forward to seeing you and your SW crew.  ;)

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Excuse me, Mr. Hartman, but unless you are a 12-14 year old junior high student you have never had the pleasure of seeing me pissed. ::) It can be arranged though.  :-\  Looking forward to seeing you and your SW crew.  ;)
Is this Jim or Glena? Oh no. We got to dance Sis at my 1st BC. I don't remember my question but the reply was similar to taking a flying fling at a rolling donut. Between you and Kari I was pretty beat up. But you know what? It was fun 'cuase ya'll had a good sense of humor. Looking forward to some hugs. And Yes, I deserve them. And they better be there dammit.  :beerchug:

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Is this Jim or Glena? Oh no. We got to dance Sis at my 1st BC. I don't remember my question but the reply was similar to taking a flying fling at a rolling donut. Between you and Kari I was pretty beat up. But you know what? It was fun 'cuase ya'll had a good sense of humor. Looking forward to some hugs. And Yes, I deserve them. And they better be there dammit.  :beerchug:

You are asking for hugs and you don't know if it is Jim or Glena? >:D

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Jim_Sherman_ID said:

You are asking for hugs and you don't know if it is Jim or Glena? >:D
Crap. Yes I ASSumed it was Glena. But that's OK. I am comfortable in my manhood. I'll take a hug from Jim too. Just no smoochies. There is a line I won't cross. Unless Jim shaves first.

I received a call from the L&C Resort today. They do have rooms available. They have been saving a block of rooms for us and if you don't tell them you are with COG they don't have a room available.

Another thing is this year they require a deposit to save the room for you. There are people making reservations, but not making a deposit. They usually just ask for a credit card, just like any motel does when you make a reservation.

Finally there are people that have reserved a room but haven't registered yet. Plus there are people that we hear are coming but haven't registered yet. Please get registered. We need the information for the meal count as well as Glena getting the name tags made. You will have to deal with her if you show up and didn't register and you don't want to have to do that. In addition, she won't give you any cookies. :-[

Should we make an empty threat about the Wedgie Tree needing fresh ornaments, which are provided by those who show up before registering? >:D

That is not a bad idea.

Now I have to backtrack. I called them again and there are no rooms available. People will have to use the alternate motels. I have heard the Clearwater was booked and their phone number is listed on the registration page. I posted the other motels in this link.

We will discuss some alternate places to hold the Bun Cooler next year.

That was part of the same slide where they are working. They already have it cleared and continue to work to stabilize the slope. With drier weather coming it should be cleaned up and no problem.

The Elk City ride is also my favorite ride.  I have usually ridden it by now, but haven't because of the slide. I did ride Lolo Pass last week. It was beautiful up there.

I really want to go but I'm on the proverbial fence because the forecast doesn't look real favorable.  Has the BC ever been a bust due to bad weather?  I live in WA & I'm tired of ridin' in the rain!

Bun Cooler is still 17 days away.  The forecast means very little this far in advance.  Make a reservation, plan on going, and cancel on May 10 if you're not pleased with the forecast at that time. 

I think it was four years ago(?) that it rained all weekend. Still a great time! Bring rain gear....

gsun said:
I think it was four years ago(?) that it rained all weekend. Still a great time! Bring rain gear....

When I leave for the left coast Sunday I will be wearing cycling compression pants and shirt, under heated gear, under leather, under rain suit.

By the time I get to Chattanooga I will have had to take the rain suit and the heated gear off.  :rotflmao:

Bring it on!

gsun said:

Yuup. That was the year I could tell who was from Seattle and who was not. If they walked between the Restaurant and their rooms they were from Seattle. If they ran from the Restaurant and their rooms they were not from Seattle.

Like already said still had a good time. Being holed up with Coggers someplace is way better than not being there.

TimR said:
gsun said:

Yuup. That was the year I could tell who was from Seattle and who was not. If they walked between the Restaurant and their rooms they were from Seattle. If they ran from the Restaurant and their rooms they were not from Seattle.

Like already said still had a good time. Being holed up with Coggers someplace is way better than not being there.

That was one of my favorite Bun Coolers because we had so much more time to hang out and talk.  :beerchug:

OtP is bringing Annette over from Germany, and we should help raise some money for her trip.  Look for a 50/50 raffle at the Bun Cooler, where half the kitty goes to Annette to help fund her fun.  Last summer this fine lady drug my luggage all over Europe in her car so I wouldn't have to.  She also did my laundry and fed me in her house.  She was one of the key people to my trip of a lifetime, and I will personally be ever grateful to anybody who helps her experience something similar.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
OtP is bringing Annette over from Germany, and we should help raise some money for her trip.  Look for a 50/50 raffle at the Bun Cooler, where half the kitty goes to Annette to help fund her fun.  Last summer this fine lady drug my luggage all over Europe in her car so I wouldn't have to.  She also did my laundry and fed me in her house.  She was one of the key people to my trip of a lifetime, and I will personally be ever grateful to anybody who helps her experience something similar.
And we'll finish up the mini banner auction. :great:

gsun said:
My first one. The counterweight and I left Sat Morn to ride Lolo in the rain on the way to Yellowstone. Thus began my long desperate slide into COGDOM. Was really hoping to win that damn Harbor Fright tire changer up for raffle for OTP. My eyes still burn from the OG in the next cabin over flashing his tighty whities during morning coffee.