• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bun Cooler May 2023 dates?

I am hoping to go! It would be a good break before the National Rally begins about a month later. I possibly will be traveling to the Canyonville area on the way home to check out how everything is shaping up for the big rally in June. :) :cool: (y)

Will make reservations. By the way, if anyone wants to follow my upcoming Colombia, Central America, Mexico trip on my Yamaha T7, here's a link to my blog. Flying down to Bogota Feb 7th to meet my bike which is being air freighted there.

I am just waiting for information from COG to see how much the insurance will cost us. That has to be added to the cost of the event. We will get registration up as soon as we find out.

Not continuing with my blog with the link above. Too much work. Am sharing my posts on the COG Facebook page if anyone is interested.
Currently in Colombia on My Yamaha Ténéré T700, next month will ship it to Panama and return home thru Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, and Mexico. Hope to be back in time to join you on my Wing for the Bun Cooler.

Not continuing with my blog with the link above. Too much work. Am sharing my posts on the COG Facebook page if anyone is interested.
Currently in Colombia on My Yamaha Ténéré T700, next month will ship it to Panama and return home thru Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, and Mexico. Hope to be back in time to join you on my Wing for the Bun Cooler.
Those were some pretty nice looking hotels for the money.

Those were some pretty nice looking hotels for the money.
Yes Charley. You can find super nice botique style hotels on dirt roads in really remote beautiful places. Nice stuff for $25-$45. Really incredible nice stuff for about $65. Basic but acceptable “bed and cold shower” for $15.

Do we know what the dates are for the Bun Cooler? I saw Tigger said they were on the calendar but I can't seem to find that. My wife and I are looking to block off the dates on our work calendars as work demands are greedy and gobble up time.

Do we know what the dates are for the Bun Cooler? I saw Tigger said they were on the calendar but I can't seem to find that. My wife and I are looking to block off the dates on our work calendars as work demands are greedy and gobble up time.
Read "Arrowlane" (Jim and Glena) post above. May 19-21. Cheers!

Sorry for the delay -- we are hoping to have the rest of the details with the next 2 weeks and get the registration opened up. Please feel free to contact the resort for reservations before then.

So I get the dates but seem to be missing much of the itinerary planned for those dates?
Hey Ed - see you're a new-ish COG member, hailing from where? For you (and others) here's my own experience at Bun Cooler ...

Bun Cooler was my first Kawasaki / COG gather just weeks after I picked up my C-14. Really liked the site, central Idaho location, rides and people I met. The COG meets, rallies that I've been to are less ride routes assured; so 'tis participant structured and that's good! Saturday night there will be a full group dinner and a big bonfire follows for talk afterwards. At Bun Cooler there may be handouts of favored routes for newer particpants (like you, and me in the day) to pick up and work their imagination on. Most, 3/4?, bikes are C14's, C10's; all are welcomed - don't sweat it.

But specific rides are set up when everybody / everybody hangs around the bike area late afternoon/ evening before, talks over dinner, or even the morning of ... talking bike, talking rides, BS-ing, and getting to know each other. You won't have any trouble meeting others and joining rides with people who already know the routes.

I've lead a couple of Bun Cooler rides with only two bikes and then couple with 6 or 8 bikes. You'll readily find ride and co-rider options, in spades. Here are links to Bun Cooler photo threads:

link to Bun Cooler thread
https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/2015-bun-cooler-photos-tales.32223/

Bun Cooler thread
https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/bun-cooler-2016-rally-tales-photos-thread.38408/

OK, tired of Bun Cooler threads by now?
https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/bun-cooler-photos-2017.42769/

Cecil

Attachments

• Elk City cliff A.jpg
    Elk City cliff A.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hi Ed,

to put some different words to Cecil's comments, I frequently don't know where I'm riding to until a few minutes before I start my motorcycle. In fact, one of my favorite Bun Coolers was the year it poured cats and dogs until about noon thirty. Most of us hung out under the second floor walkway, engaged in some serious bench racing. That afternoon the sun came out, and some of us went for short rides.
What would you like to do? You can do a lunch ride to Montana, Washington or Oregon if you don't want Idaho cooking, or you could pack a lunch and eat it wherever the voices in your head tell you to stop. We are a heard of cats that will scatter to all points of the compass for the day, only to return to rally central in the evening for a group photo and dinner. The only big difference between us and real cats is we don't go around sniffing each other's butts. That doesn't mean you won't smell someone's butt at some point, but that speaks more to beans and lactose than where you stick your nose. So if you're normally an introvert, I invite you to challenge yourself to seek out those of us who are closeted introverts. See if you can figure out who we are. One of the best ways to find the introverts is to ask where they are going on Saturday, and if it sounds interesting ask if you can tag along.

Ed,
where are you leaving from to go to the bun cooler? If anywhere around the Portland Oregon Metro area, perhaps we can hook up and ride to the cooler together. God willing, I'm leaving early to get through Portland before rush hour starts on Friday, so I won't get to Kamiah until later in the afternoon. I usually stop at the Dalles, Umatilla, and Lewiston before getting to Kamiah.
-tdbru

So I get the dates but seem to be missing much of the itinerary planned for those dates?
I'll toss in my own story. I'd gone to a BMW MOA event a few months before and was totally turned off by it. I've never gone to another since then.

I was given Charlie Gary's info to contact and he agreed to show me the way to the Bun Cooler. I found it totally different than the BMW rally. I was warmly greeted when I arrived and made to feel welcome. Ride routes were there with printed instructions. It was all simple stuff, but they did it right.

I hooked up with some others and we rode out to Elk City. Wonderful ride. I got a chance to see how COG takes care of their members. One of the guys tried to get a few too many miles on his C10's tires. He wouldn't make it home without a change. The "locals" called up the local dealer, got someone to go buy and pickup the tire and that night the C10 owner changed his tire with some expert assistance...and about 35 others of us sitting around giving advice and exchanging stories of things we'd like others to believe we did. It was all good fun.

I found a group of very professional riders who knew how to have a good time when the riding was done. It was a good enough impression that I joined COG there before leaving. I've never been sorry.

Chris

3 times I have had to call Mac's Cycle in Clarkston to get a tire. Then drive down there to get a tire for someone. I brought one person back to my house to use my tire-changing machine. One time a guy lost his fob and a local drove his pickup up to Lolo Pass to bring him back.

COG members are great people and are always willing to help and make people feel comfortable.