• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bun Cooler SW Planning Thread

OMoaC

Registered for the Bun Cooler in Kamiah ID. This will be my 3rd trip up for fun with our NW friends. Ping Jockey is looking at a SS1K on the way up http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=64437.0 . My plans are to leave Thursday prior and stop on the NV ID border (Elko or Jackpot) and into Kamiah on Friday. Depart Sunday Morning and grab a corner of WA and down through OR then home to Hendo on Monday. Anybody wants to jump in let me know. C U in Kamiah  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

Departing Kamiah, corner of Washington and through Oregon, I'm in until we hit 26 then I gotta turn West..  :motonoises:

:singing:

Gumby said:
Departing Kamiah, corner of Washington and through Oregon, I'm in until we hit 26 then I gotta turn West..  :motonoises:

:singing:
Looking forward to hanging with you and Chica.

Not SW but leaving Monterey CA on the 11th, camping in Winnemucca NV overnight, then Kamiah the 12th. Staying until Sunday, then back to Monterey.

JR said:
Not SW but leaving Monterey CA on the 11th, camping in Winnemucca NV overnight, then Kamiah the 12th. Staying until Sunday, then back to Monterey.
Honorary SW member while your here JR. I'll have a piece of your dues transferred over  :)

I was figurin on the 12th jumping over from the Central Valley whichever fun pass is open over the sierras (so considering the date, 88 or 50) into NV and finding some route upwards and stay somewhere north of Winnemucca on 95 (which appears to be a very straight boring road). Then up to Kamiah from there on Friday.

OMC: appears your planned route is a couple hours east of my vaguely planned route.  If you stay in Elko, will you go up 225 or still go up 93 like if you stayed in Jackpot?

I had no departing route in mind. I generally intended to leave early Monday and arrive back in CA on late Tuesday.

225 through WildHorse into Mountain home. Pretty route. Nice lodging in Elko with a good BBQ place in walking distance last time I was through.

Bun Cooler sounds good, I'll help the old man put the banner out for cabin #5. I'll be leaving out of Denver if anyone would like to join me!      :great:

Will do more checking when I get home Friday.  I will be having more free time here real soon :great:

Ok I'm  in. Got a room hooked up will register  tomorrow  and plan a route. Looking  at getting  there thur  night.

90% sure I'll meet up with you in Elko on Thursday evening. Something like this https://goo.gl/maps/HcaKBjJwmjG2

OMC, I sure am glad your bringing  the Southern hoards up North. I'm sure it will be a great time.......just don't order a Chefs salad at the cafe. Oh wait that was the Canadians that did that. Made one heck of a dinner salad for somebody though..... :mad:

TimR said:
OMC, I sure am glad your bringing  the Southern hoards up North. I'm sure it will be a great time.......just don't order a Chefs salad at the cafe. Oh wait that was the Canadians that did that. Made one heck of a dinner salad for somebody though..... :mad:
Us left coasters gotta stick together. Tell the story of the Chef's salad so I don't make the same mistake as the Canucks.  :)

Looks like the SW is making up about 20% of reg (including honorary SW member JR :beerchug:) Us left coasties gotta stick together to hold back the Eastern hoards.  Keep 'em coming SW! C U in Kamiah ID.

OK the Story...last year the restaurant was under new management with somewhat new waitresses. One of our brothers from the North ordered a Chefs salad. Everyone else got their food. So he waited and waited. Finally he asked about his salad. It seems the wait person had given the chefs Salad to a guy who's dinner came with a dinner salad. I guess the salad looked good enough he went a head and ate it not thinking it was a little big for a dinner salad. Our Northern friend finally did get his Chefs salad but the rest of us were all pretty much done eating. I don't think he had to pay for his salad that night.

The next evening the word was out if you wanted to eat in a timely manner don't order a chefs salad.  Still not as epic as Jack's bike falling in the river. But hey that was fun and just a little taste of English humor.

No there was not a C14 in the river. Jack caught a rock with his front tire. The resulting hole was too big for several plugs. A tow truck was called. Our N/W area director and another guy borrowed a car and went to check on the bike and rider. They returned during the banquet and a certain S/w area director asked if everything went alright. He was told the tow truck and bike ended up in the river. They really didn't but someone took it as gospel.

As for the flat front tire. Jim Sherman arranged for a new tire to get placed in the back of a pickup at a shop (it was Sunday) and made arrangements with a guy and a tire changer. Again on a Sunday. It all worked out and no body got hurt except maybe Marks trust of certain people. Marks reaction to the bike and tow truck in the water was awesome. Having a sense of humor sure makes life  a little easier. 

However....I learned something myself. It seemed no one had a tool to undo Jack's front axle. I now carry a homemade tool to remove the front axle in my little tool kit. I don't carry the common stuff though.

TimR said:
However....I learned something myself. It seemed no one had a tool to undo Jack's front axle. I now carry a homemade tool to remove the front axle in my little tool kit. I don't carry the common stuff though.

I will have a Windzone tool kit with me when I arrive, lot of good it will do all those furrin' bikes!

Tick Tock the clock rocks. Countdown to the BC. Thurs Night in Elko NV. Lemme know who wants to dance! CU in Kamiah ID. I heard there's gonna be a tug o war contest between NW and SW, Could it be true? Will insurance cover pulled hammies? Will OMoaC or Bubba be anchor? Maybe just a friendly game of horse shoes? Gotta be there to find out. Don't get Munsoned.

If the bike is fixed in time i will be there Thursday  night? Hoping to get some extra riding in on Friday.

This weekend bike spa day with a bubble bath. Mechanical check and systems confirm. Next weekend final pack and systems check. Helmet face shield cleaning and all systems on chargers, final route check and room res confirm. Looking forward to C'ing you all in Kamiah. Ride safe  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :)

OMC you are just as excited about this as I am. Its pretty obvious.  :rotflmao:

In past years, I was always into May until I was done my "winter mods". To be fair, I did a lot on every bike I ever owned. My first year in COG I put full carbon fiber bodywork on my ZX14. Even had to fabricate carbon fiber mounting posts because the Japanese garage shop that made them put them in the wrong place. And I did a bit of engine work, including that luscious Brock's Performance CT-Duals titanium exhaust system that Classic Coatings ceramic coated for me.

But this is all in the past. The trike has been ready and all but completely packed (still need to put razor, toothbrush, phone, a few other things in) for 3 weeks. Fresh synthetic oil in all three cases (crank, primary, transmission). Hitch and wiring, and wiring has been checked with a multimeter three separate times. Bolts tight. Air suspension controller working. Lights all work.

Polished the chrome, S100-ed the paint and windshield. Getting a handlebar phone mount so I can hang the iPhone near the little compartment on the right side of the fairing where a USB dongle hides behind a little door. That way the phone can update Spotwalla constantly as I ride, but stay charged too.

Even though my buddy in Monterey CA is my primary destination, the Bun Cooler has added a new dimension to what is looking to become a yearly event for me. For as long as I can ride the trike. Until the day I fall off it, dead.  :motonoises: :great:

Room Res made for Thurs night in Elko NV.
Quality Inn & Suites Elko
3320 East Idaho Street,
Elko, NV, US, 89801
+1 (775) 777-8000
$51.20 night.

I gave up my campsite halfway to Bun Cooler. Wondering if I can meet up with SW who are going for night of 11th?

JR said:
I gave up my campsite halfway to Bun Cooler. Wondering if I can meet up with SW who are going for night of 11th?

Oh I see you guys are leaving the 12th. I'm going to go ahead and leave the 11th, and just show up at the Winnemucca KOA that evening, and at worst, it won't be the first time I slept with the TimeOut only 1/2 opened.

Hey JR. I'm leaving Modesto early on the 12th heading for Elko for the night.

But it sounds like you're taking off the day before.  I may pass through Winnemucca in the afternoon on the 12th - but I'm guessing you won't still be there.

WANDRNG said:
Hey JR. I'm leaving Modesto early on the 12th heading for Elko for the night.

But it sounds like you're taking off the day before.  I may pass through Winnemucca in the afternoon on the 12th - but I'm guessing you won't still be there.

No problem, will see everyone at Kamiah. I'm balancing deposits, frankly. So by leaving KOA 11th, I have plenty $ to stop at Winnemucca for the night, or a National Forest for next to no $, then arrive Kamiah 12th. Get big deposit the 13th, so will pay Kamiah off, and leave Sunday 15th if you want company part way back. 

Onward and forward. Leaving at zero coffee thirty for the BC. Overnighting in Elko NV Thurs night. C U for cookies on Fri in Kamiah. Looking forward to a sweet ride. 5 days, 4 states, 2k miles, 2 wheels, knees in the breeze. It don't get no mo betta.

The last part of 95 north to Kamiah (from about the national forest north) is a great ride. Not much traffic when I went through, plenty of twisties. I passed so many trucks I lost count, but plenty of good passing areas.

The last part, when they say 35 and you are riding a trike with a heavy trailer, you pay attention. I can still go through faster, but I have to set up and if its blind, I err on the side of caution.

Nice KOA, going into town tomorrow morning looking for FIREBALL.