• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BUSHTEC TRAILER HITCH... AND H-F TRAILER REDUX..

MAN OF BLUES

:))
SOOOOO....
I ordered the Bushtec hitch, 2 p.m. wednesday....
it's on truck here today, and should be on my doostep when I get home....
and that was with std ground freight.... sweet.......
48 hr delivery, glad I didn't get stupid and pay 3x $$$ for 2 day guranteed.....

UPDATE:
DELIVERED 1:41 P.M.

LESS THAN 48 HRS.
:beerchug: :beerchug: :great: :great: :))

ADDED 7/19/2013
THIS WAS THE ONLY GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE BUSHTEC HITCH I HAVE TO SHARE..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :-X :truce: :-\ :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad:
WELLL..... :mad:
so much for the old "made in the USA" quality expectations.....
The Bushtec hitch is not high on my list of warm fuzzies right now.....
After busting my azz to get the "foreign" Harbor Freight trailer assembled, and wired...(to actually work with the wiring of the C14.....) I go to mount the Bushtec.... seemed simple, basically remove the rear plastic, the front bolts from the grab bar mounting hard points, the rear bolts on the passenger peg brackets, install the 4 longer replacement bolts and hitch, and done....
not so.

the mounting holes in the robustly welded hitch assembly varied from one side to the other, by over 1/4", and when coupled with the fact the bolts on the bike are spot on, and cannot be moved, the hitch was impossible to install. Now, because it's so robust, you simply cannot bend anything to make it work, even with a 4 lb mini sledge.... and the mounting tabs have so little extra metal around the holes you can't cut or grind anything off, or re-drill anything....
After calling them, and talking with them, all they are basically willing to do is return my money, and NOT supply a unit that does fit... in other words, they made them in a sloppy manner, and nobody bought them. It sounded like I was the first Guinea pig.... @ $430 shipped... I assume so.

I brought it ionto work and ground off the welds on the tabs to remove the ill fitting parts, and plan on mounting the tabs and the hitch on the bike, clamping it all back to where it does fit, and tack it in place with my flux core wire machine, and have my welder here at work TIG it all up tomorrow.
Pictures upon completion :'( :'( ::)

Sorry that you are having issues with this.
I was planning on getting one of these hitches and now I'm not so sure.

Thanks again for posting about what you've found and how the company handled the situation.

I dunno, the fellow I spoke with said he and the "owner" went and pulled 2 and looked, they both looked the same, and he insisted all are made on the same "setup"... I would have to say that not one aspect of the assembly was correct. the end tabs on the tube were misaligned which throws off the vertical alignment, the formed tube was skewed to align the tabs, it was off center left to right, and the front end was narrower than the back ends mounts by over 1-1/4" on width. to mount, I had to bolt on one front blade, then pull the left one outwards 3/4" using bar clamps, install that bolt/nut and release clamp. then I had to mount the upper right side by using a bar clamp to pull it up and outwards, and then had to pull the left one up with a clamp, and another bar clamp to pull it inwards 3/4".  This was all to "align and centralize the geometry of the formed round tubing....
even doing that, I could not install without the modifications I made.
After my mods I did have to use bar clamps to pull the shapes in, but the re-positioning of the top wing bars I di made it drop right into place, and remain "central" with the tire and bike.

Hell, even the plate the ball is installed on is welded on off to one side, and crooked at that... you can see it in the photos....
after modifications:

before mods:

it was midnight when I finished all my finalization, but it's all assembled, wired, and ready to rock....
more shots tonight.

FINALLY FINISHED, LAST NIGHT....
here's the outcome of it all......

here's part of the "entertainment factor" that was included in many parts of this  adventure...
I have the "instruction manual for assembly" on the trailer, it has a different photo of it on the first page than the one here:
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/66000-66999/66771.pdf

download that file, and pay particular attention to the way my trailer looks, compared to the final 2 assembly pictograms....
(hint; when mounting the "tub", you really don't notice the shape, untill you go to mount the lid....tub on, tub off, oh and tub on, tub off prior to that, because you didn't remove the contact paper like sticky protective wrap that covered the tub....thinking it would peel off easily...wrongo doh.)
ahhhh yes, and you thought the C14 manual had problems? ::)

MOB, my Bushtec hitch came with a safety chain bracket that mounts below the ball.  Are you not going to use safety chains?  I just installed my Bushtec hitch just before you did, and the brackets at top rear were misaligned also like yours, especially the left side one.  I ground off a small portion of the bracket on the bike where the bolt go through that attaches to the hitch on the left side.  I left everything loose before bolting up to be able to move it a little bit.  I agree with you, very poor manufacture for a name like Bushtec and the PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And this is made in my home state and not China!!!!!!!   

MAN OF BLUES said:
hint; when mounting the "tub", you really don't notice the shape, untill you go to mount the lid
Let me guess, the cover only fits the tub one way, and you mounted it... bass-ackwards?  :))

Hmm.. knew someone was going to mention safety chains... Don't know about your state but you can't use safety chains on a motorcycle here in NH.

I installed a Bushtec hitch on my C14 also and also had to do some extra bending and tweaking to get the mounts to all line up.  Once I got the mounts in line, the rest of the installation was easy.  Bushtec claimed when I called them that it is due to the flexing of the round tubing they use when they bend the main portion of the hitch that the forming of the tubing portion is hard to control when they are bending it.  Oh well, it is on now and has worked fine for two years now.

Hamster

p.s.  I also added a rear fender extender from the Blue One on the COG forum, helps greatly to keep the road crud off of the front of the trailer.              http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.0;topicseen 

Yellowrench said:
MOB, my Bushtec hitch came with a safety chain bracket that mounts below the ball.  Are you not going to use safety chains?  I just installed my Bushtec hitch just before you did, and the brackets at top rear were misaligned also like yours, especially the left side one.  I ground off a small portion of the bracket on the bike where the bolt go through that attaches to the hitch on the left side.  I left everything loose before bolting up to be able to move it a little bit.  I agree with you, very poor manufacture for a name like Bushtec and the PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And this is made in my home state and not China!!!!!!! 

thank you!!!!
those were my exact sentiments about this p.o.s.

I simply refused to cut any metal parts on my bike....I know where you had to grind, and that little bent flange on the front of the mounting spot is a key part of the bike... but hey, you do crazy things when stuff wont fit.....like disassembl and re-weld a $400 hitch....
arggggggggggg

those guys I talked to were fullofit I knew right off, the tubing aint the issue if they bent it correctly. even if they didn't, they could heat it and pull it into shape with the correct fixturing. It ain't rocket science. It's all in thier fixture, or poor lack of design of the fixture, and combined with not clamping it accuratly, and pouring tons of heat into the welds, and not letting them cool before removing the assembly is the problem... of course it's gonna warp all to hades...

when I re-welded mine, I clamped the "ears", measured them first, and when it was cool and I unclamped it, they were spot on.
go figure, I guess that's why they pay me the "big buck$' as an engineer.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Hamster728 said:
I installed a Bushtec hitch on my C14 also and also had to do some extra bending and tweaking to get the mounts to all line up.  Once I got the mounts in line, the rest of the installation was easy.  Bushtec claimed when I called them that it is due to the flexing of the round tubing they use when they bend the main portion of the hitch that the forming of the tubing portion is hard to control when they are bending it.  Oh well, it is on now and has worked fine for two years now.

Hamster

p.s.  I also added a rear fender extender from the Blue One on the COG forum, helps greatly to keep the road crud off of the front of the trailer.              http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.0;topicseen

Wanting the extender, but need to know if it fits without problems, sent you a p/m check and get beck to me, and post a pic if possible...
Thanx

Have you had a chance to see how it tracks at speed?

I have read that most add ~20" to the tongue to help with reducing sway.

I am getting ready to follow in your footsteps within the next few days.

Man of Blues, pictures are posted.  No problems with putting the rear fender extender on with the Buhstec hitch installed.  You do have to squeeze it in there a little but not much, it bows in on both sides just a slight amount.  I also used machine screws, flat washers and locking nuts on both sides to help keep it in place.

Hamster

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 149
Hamster728 said:
Man of Blues, pictures are posted.  No problems with putting the rear fender extender on with the Buhstec hitch installed.  You do have to squeeze it in there a little but not much, it bows in on both sides just a slight amount.  I also used machine screws, flat washers and locking nuts on both sides to help keep it in place.

Hamster

THANK YOU !!!

Just what I wanted to see, and it's cool,  :great:
I plan on doing the same type of hardware, so I can pull it when I need to do tire swaps. :beerchug:

Just wanted to revive this old one, and let you know how that trailer works...
due to health issues this spring, I have not had a chance to test it out well..
I took it on a 40 mile run today, all different scenarios of road conditions and speed...
I had it loaded with 150# of sandbags, centered over the axle.

It pulled flawlessly... I never at anytime, could say it may any difference in handling..... panic stops, braking in turns, freeway roll, extreme rough roads.... It never swayed, or bucked once....

me very happy!!!!! :) :) :) :)) :)) :)) :great:

MAN OF BLUES said:
I took it on a 40 mile run today, all different scenarios of road conditions and speed...

I see I'm not the only one grounded this early part of the riding season 2014. Hope you are back in the saddle soon, so you can benefit from that new trailer.

I need to post pictures of my hitch/wiring, it is slightly different and the hitch came from Australia. So now I know at least 2 things made for bikes in Aussie land... hitches and McCruise kits.  :great:

MAN OF BLUES said:

It pulled flawlessly... I never at anytime, could say it may any difference in handling..... panic stops, braking in turns, freeway roll, extreme rough roads.... It never swayed, or bucked once....

me very happy!!!!! :) :) :) :)) :)) :)) :great:

^^^^nice! 

And informative thread. I may be going the route of towing too.  Thanks!

stevewfl said:
^^^^nice! 

And informative thread. I may be going the route of towing too.  Thanks!

I'm not exaggerating when I say I can't tell it's back there..... I was always worried it would be funky... not now.... :great: :great:

oh, that trailer is pretty hefty, about 145# iirc, and for the test ride I put in 2 sandbags, totaling another 150# over the axle.
Tongue weight was roughly 10#.
I'm psyched to use this for weekender camping trips with Momma...can carry full sized tent, mega airbed, propane cookstove, lantern, clothes, fishing gear, tarps, cooler....long guns and ammo.....

man, this is cool..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great: :)) ;)

JR said:
I see I'm not the only one grounded this early part of the riding season 2014. Hope you are back in the saddle soon, so you can benefit from that new trailer.
  :great:

yeah, I was borderline type II diabetic for the last 6/7 years, but got it pretty much under control before we moved in 2011.
Didn't really feel bad, nor found the need to monitor, because I felt good.... well a couple weeks ago I was diagnosed as no longer borderline.... my glucose was up to 445 (should be 100-110) during a routine series of bloodwork.
The actual reason I couldn't ride tho, was that since December, I have been having inner ear issues and extreme Vertigo, every single day, for the first 4-6 hours after getting out of bed... made driving a nightmare, and I couldn't even fathom trying to ride...

That nightmare seems to have coincidently subsided right about the time I changed diet, and went on diabetes meds... but It was being treated for months with antibiotics, and steroids...
thank god that's sorted out now....
I feel good.... :great: and ready to roll :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

MOB and anyone else who has installed a Bushtec hitch on their C14, does anyone have the installation instructions?  It appears that the hitch mounts to the back bolts on the passenger peg mounts,  but I can't figure out where the other two mounting points are.  MOB's description above indicates that he removed the rear plastic.

Mike

I don't know where the instruction sheet ended up, it's been years since the install...
look closely at all the photo's I posted on "modifications" I had to make, to fit it up, above in this thread.
The rear upper mounting point is on the bottom of the metal side frame bracket, that the plastic luggage mounting tab piece bolts to, on each side, under that plastic,(which you have to cut a notch int also) below the rear passenger grab rails.. single bolt each side, they give a longer replacement bolt and nut to accommodate the added flange tabs.

I'll also mention, if you have the rear crash/tip over bar things installed, more intensive mods need to be made, as the hitch bracket mounting point, is the same point the crash bars mount, and makes the use of both almost impossible.