• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-10 engine quit

alex9078

I just took it for a ride. In the middle of the ride, the engine suddenly quit. It restarted right away, but when I accelerated it immediately died. After about 4 or 5 times, I was able to keep it running and immediately rode it home. I'm thinking fuel filter plugged up?

Good place to start. But first check to see if the fuel tank cap is venting properly.
Next time it stops, slowly and while listening open the gas cap. Listen for a sucking
sound.

Was it an instant off, or did it act like it was starving for fuel just before it died?
As you have added a fuel filter, the fuel line may be too long.
If so, it can kink at the bend, with heat and reduce fuel flow.
When you stop, it can refill the carbs and restart.
Look under the tank at the fuel hose. See if it looks too long.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks, this is just something that just occurred. I've been riding it since I arrived here in CT. in May. It's been riding, starting and idling great until today. I gave it gas, it died. I then hit the starter it started right away. I pulled out, boom dead. I then restarted, pulled out and dead. Finally I was able to keep it running and was able to ride it home, but parked it until I can get it to the shop in Bethel. I have both fork seals being done as soon as they arrive as they are on order. It's going to be expensive though, but I don't have a garage to even attempt to fix it myself.

Does sound like fuel starvation or I have experienced a vacuum leak that would allow an acceptable idle and rough throttle response in neutral but as soon as you tried to take off in gear it would bog down and die quickly.
How were you able to ride home, with enricher/choke on, or very light throttle?

We don't quite have enough info on the dying yet to make a good guess.
The main question is; Did it seem to be running out of fuel, or did it suddenly die from running smooth (Like a switch cut it off)?
The next is; Did you smell raw gas?

But, (maybe/possible/it could happen) "Both fixes might be very EZ and free"...

On the sudden death, sounds like it "might" be a side stand switch.
ie; When they get dirty, they don't function and the bike thinks the side stand is down...
Locate the switch and wash it out thoroughly with WD-40, or bypass the switch.

On the leaking seals, sounds like it could be trash.
ie; Trash gets under the seals and causes them to leak.
Cut a piece of plastic out of the side of a water bottle.
Gently push the plastic piece under the seal's and clean out the trash.
Easier if you first remove the upper dust seals.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: