• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-14 Tires

ken bergen

Big Wheel
I have just checked my OEM tires and they are about 2/3s worn, @ approx. 10,00km/6200mi. This is not good bang for the $. Does anyone have an opinion on what to replace them with. At this point I'm leaning tword Michelin Pilot Road 2s. Opinions?????

You are getting more mileage than I did on my OEM's! I went to the Pilot 2 and think they are great! Changed my bike's handling to being much more sure footed and predictable in the corners. Looks like they may last longer too!

My OEM tires didn't last for squat. I switched to a Pilot Road rear, Pilot Power front and the combination is awesome! Much better mileage and the handling is great, the feedback off the front tire is much better than others and it ends up wearing out about the same rate as the (Road) rear. In comparison, I only got about 3000 miles on the OEM's... :( My latest set of Road/Pilot just got changed with about 7000 miles on 'em. :) John 2008 Concours14 "Conundrum",2006 Blue ZX-14 "Zexy" COG # 6819,AMA # 840034,ROK # 398016 PROUD owner of a Concours14 - 35k mi. and rising and I LOVE IT!!!
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

My OEM tires came off at 4,000 miles. I installed the Pirelli Diablo Strada tires. They are better in every way. I herd that they are on par with the PR2's for mileage from someone that has used both. But they are less expensive than the PR2's. But either is a good choice. I can't comment on the Dunlop Roadsmart's.

I removed the OEMs at 1600 miles. Replaced 'em with PR2's and haven't looked back. RayK COG# 8125 CDA# 0273 '08 ZG 1400 '07 KLR650

It looks like the consensus on the OEM's is they're not very good period. PR2's on the other hand seem to fair much better, I guess you get what you pay for ;p In any case Ken, at the rate you're going, the OEM's are going to be but a distant memory :) Claude / BC, Canada COG #8173 2008 C14 aka Ribbit II I'm BACK boy's!!!

I changed from the OEM tires to Metzeler Z-6's. I ran over 10K miles on the first set and have just now changed to the second set. I'm not a very aggressive rider so my mileage may be different than yours.

Michelin Pilot Road 2s are possibly the best tires I have ever ridden on. They were made for what the C14 can do!

Yesterday I had a set of PR2's put on, the weather was crappy & I didn't feel much like riding brand new tires in the rain, so I came straight home, so they've only got 25 miles on them. Today's looking a little better and I'm feeling more up to it, so I'm going to go break 'em in and see how I like them. Honestly, yesterday I was so paranoid I didn't pay much attention; as there was just enough rain on the road to bring up the oils and fog/clouds/mist in the air. Wish me luck! :) John 2008 Concours14 "Conundrum",2006 Blue ZX-14 "Zexy" COG # 6819,AMA # 840034,ROK # 398016 PROUD owner of a Concours14 - 41k mi. and rising and I LOVE IT!!!
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

My OEM tires lasted 6000 miles. PR2's have 7k on them and I might get another 1k out of them. Less mileage than I had hoped for, but the riding was more aggressive combined with several trips to The Dragon :)

OEM's a miserable 2000 miles on the front and it looks and feels like a brick. PR2 arrived for the front and is going on this week. The rear OEM stil looks good. Lots of twisties very little highway miles, but come on 2000 miles????????

Time for me to chime in again... :) I haven't been able to ride much this spring. However, I have a little over 9000 miles now on the PR2's and they're still holding up! They're almost ready to be replaced, and yeah they're a tiny bit squared rear and a tiny bit cupped front from the freeways between here and Phoenix; but they still handle great. They've been great for my corner confidence too, apparently; I've got them scuffed a lot harder a lot farther to the edge than I usually wear tires. ;) John 2008 Concours14 "Conundrum",2006 Blue ZX-14 "Zexy" COG # 6819,AMA # 840034,ROK # 398016 PROUD owner of a Concours14 - 47k mi. and rising and I LOVE IT!!!
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

PR2's here. My OEM's came off immediately when I wasn't getting the cornering feel I liked and the bike seemed to require too much input to initiate. I normally run PP's on my other bikes (VFR's) but wanted more wear on this bike but still good grip and handling. Up where I live we have few straight roads. With these tires you can corner aggressively, hold your line well, feel the road and you will have to remove your peg feelers !!!!

Hi everyone (new member)I got 3200 mi. out of the oem tires and the front was gone..............almost went down in a hard turn.I put on a set of Strada's and they fell good just hope they last longer.This is the first bike I have had that wears the front out first.

I put a Metzeler Z6 on the rear and after 4000 miles it is still showing little sign of wear. About to replace my second Bridgestone front and I'm switching to the Z6 for that. I took the bike to Deals Gap TENN after I got the rear tire and rode it as hard as I am able to in both rain and dry weather. No problems what so ever. I would recommend to anyone who has the non ABS version to put a 120/60 tire on the front instead of the 120/70. The difference in handling is amazing. Shawn 8000 miles so far