• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10 bevel drive housing swap

zapper1116623

Found out today that my water pump is good, the seals even look good (will probably still replace while it's out). The bad news is that when I was removing the pump I discovered the poor jb weld job someone had done to reconnect one of the pump mounts to the bevel gear case, this definitely did not hold and so the pump has apparently been held on by just one of the two bolts, I'd assume this could be the cause of the small leak that I've been having? I see there are some cases in good condition on eBay for under $100 anyone know how much of a pain it would be to swap the case? Is this necessary even or should the seal be fine with just the one Bolt holding it in? I could try to just do a better jb weld job but just not sure I would trust it to hold up.

I think the bracket that goes on top of the waterpump should help to hold the pump in place well enough. I'll give it a try and if doesn't have any issues I'll leave it as is for now, don't want to have to deal with replacing the seals and gaskets on the new bevel drive case if not needed. It appears the leak that I was having was from the pump shaft seal failing. It was not pushed out but there was a bunch of oil behind the seal when I removed it. Can't wait for the new seals to arrive!

If one of the two mounting tabs was JB Welded the pump mount was absolutely responsible for the leak. Fortunately replacement water pumps are very inexpensive - 3 on Ebay now ranging from $15 - $25.

If one of the two mounting tabs was JB Welded the pump mount was absolutely responsible for the leak. Fortunately replacement water pumps are very inexpensive - 3 on Ebay now ranging from $15 - $25.
The water pump is fine. It's one of the mounts on the engine case that was jb welded. I think it will be fine but there's only one way to know for sure. If it's not fine I'll pony up and get a new case off eBay and swap everything out.

You're right, I read your comment too quickly. I have no experience with the engine case mount.